• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Ham radio for dummies...

LagunaH1

Getting on a soap box for a few seconds:

If you intend to use a HAM radio for any kind of emergency comms, then you really need to be able to configure it for any frequency, PL tone and repeater offset directly on the radio. PC programming is awesome for loading mass quantities of repeaters into a radio but you might end up limiting your own ability to use the radio in a real emergency if you never practice configuring and programming of radios ON the radios

-Getting back off my soap box

:)

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Thank you everyone! I need to order it tonight. Anyone have a place they recommend to order from for good pricing or service or will Amazon do?

I'm gonna go for the yaesu ft-60 and should I upgrade that antenna as well?

LagunaH1

Hamradio.com is the website for Ham radio outlet and they have pretty good customer service

If you go for the FT60 then an upgraded antenna is nice to have and can always be added later

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Got my yaesu ft60 in today! It's sweet!!! I gotta schedule a time to take a test...I am going to meet up with Bebe before the rubicon and get it programmed and use it for emergencies but Bebe is it possible for me to contact you each day around a certain time?from the rubicon to your house? Girlfriend is nervous LOL and if she knows I'm alive she will be happy I guess...or atleast I think.

LagunaH1

Congrats on getting your fist HAM radio! -Now go get the license! :-D

As you start using the radio, keep in mind that, as a rule of thumb, you can expect an operating range of your radio which is equal to "line of sight" and then a little bit extra, but stick to "line of sight".

In other words: To reach a repeater, you should expect to be able to see the mountain top it sits on, otherwise you may not be able to reach it. -And also keep in mind that just because you can hear the repeater, doesn't necessarily mean it can hear you, or hear you well.

The_Mountain

If you're still working on your license, I highly recommend hamstudy.org. I used that website and after about 2 months of solid study, I nailed my Tech and General in one sitting.