• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Moab Tow Rig

Korby7

I have a brother-in-law in his JK broke down at EJS in Moab. It’s weight plus a trailer seems to me to be pushing the towing capacity of my Alpha. I’m approximately 180 miles north from there and haven’t done much “heavy” towing. Any thoughts on trying in the Alpha or should I try to find a different towing rig?

jakesz28

If you have trailer brakes and the load is not to tongue heavy you may be ok. Since your asking you may be new to towing and then I might advise against it.

Im towing my H3 into moab tomorrow.

Korby7

Trailer has brakes. Not quite as heavy but I’ve towed a Kabota on it a few times but only 40-50 miles and not through a canyon. I’ve reached out to borrow a diesel but haven’t heard back yet. Sounds like I should be ok if that doesn’t work out. I’ll just drive like an old woman and won’t be making any land speed records. Thanks. :)

jakesz28

Just make sure you can adjust the load front to back as needed. I had to add an extra leaf spring on my H3 because it could not support any tongue weight. Now it can handle some extra weight.

Korby7

I’ve seen your build. Wish I could stick around to see it in action.
I was going to come join the first of the week but time & $ won’t permit.
Though now I’m spending $ I shouldn’t be spending saving his bacon, so I guess just lack of time now.
I’m going to shoot in and out either tomorrow night or Sunday afternoon.

JPaul

Watch your transmission temps as well. If you haven't upgraded with an external cooler, either as an add on or replacement to the internal cooler then you'll want to make sure it's not overheating, especially on the grades up over Soldier Summit. They can get pretty high even without towing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk