• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Off Road Camping Trailers

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
How about a thread on off road camping trailer options? We could break it down into categories and provide pictures and links to the manufacturers web sites and reviews. As people provide additional suggestions I'll edit this page to keep all the options up to date. Here are the initial categories:

Box type trailers with a roof top tent:
__Adventure Trailers (AT) overland trailers
_____Horizon Trailer :link:, trailing arm suspension larger box trailer with a roof top tent, bed size varies with tent selection
_____Chaser Trailer :link:, trailing arm suspension smaller box trailer with a roof top tent, bed size varies with tent selection
_____Flatbed Trailer :link:, trailing arm suspension with a flatbed and you can add a RTT.

__Campa Trailers, 7720 Race Rd. North Ridgeville, OH 44039. tel (440) 463- 2796, GPS 41.376567,-82.045212
_____Campa Cub :link:, ‘kit format’ solid axle leaf springs
_____Campa All Terrain Trailer (ATT) :link:, large fully equipped

__Desert Wolf, 48 Klipkop, Lynnwood Road East, Pretoria, South Africa, GPS -25°54'29.3", 28° 27'07.5"
_____Leo :link: , large, leaf springs
_____Lynx :link: , medium size, leaf springs
_____Fox :link: , smaller side-loading trailer

__Off Road International, 202 Firemans Lane, Rusk Texas, 75785, tel 909 683 1599, GPS 31.793519,-95.133319
_____Tierra Grange :link: , 425 lbs, 29"T x 43"W X 76" L
_____Desert Expedition :link: , 360 lbs, 23"T x 43"W x 63.5"L

__Off Road Trailerz, 167 Lambert St. 115 Bldg C Oxnard, CA 93036 new2image@aol.com, tel 805.485.7176, GPS 34.252499,-119.158466
_____Off Road Trailer :link: ,

__Sierra 4X4 Trailers, 1482 Southgate Dr #109 Gardnerville, NV 89410, tel 775-783-0700, GPS 38.927316,-119.725871
_____Gen 1 :link: , 41” x 72”, leaf spring solid axle or trailing arm and air bags
_____Gen 2 :link: , 48” x 72, leaf spring solid axle or trailing arm and air bags

Off road Teardrop trailers:
__Adventure Trailers (AT) overland trailers
_____AT off road teardrop :link:, trailing arm suspension teardrop trailer

__So Cal Teardrops, 1431 W. 9th Street, Bldg F Upland, CA 91786 tell 909-982-1199 GPS 34.096969,-117.675934
_____Buzz-off :link: , 4'X8', leaf springs solid axle adjustable shocks
_____Krawler :link: , 4.5'X9', leaf springs solid axle adjustable shocks

Off road trailers with integrated tent
__Adrenalin Campers
_____Adrenalin Camping Trailer :link:, trailing arm suspension hard floor tent trailer, queen bed

__Haultent, 4251 Reno Hwy. Fallon, NV. 89406, 39.484369,-118.843317
_____Haultent Expedition Trailer :link: , torsion axle

__Kamparoo, CANADA (780) 361-2000 built in Australia by Cub Campers :link:
_____Kamparoo Camper :link: , torsion axle hard floor tent trailer, queen bed

__Tentrax
_____Unlimited off road trailers :link: , torsion axle fold out tent trailer, queen bed

Last edited:

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I plan on converting my M101 into an Offroad camping trailer but it has been in the wrong state for me to work on. One day though.....

JGBB04

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
My requirements are simple. I want good off road capability to get to remote sites and I gotta keep my wife happy! My wife wants (1) a hot shower, (2) she wants to sleep up off the ground in a minimum of a queen size bed, (3) be able to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night without going outside (4) she doesn't want to climb ladders.

For the hot shower, I need to haul water, a portable or built-in water heater and a privacy enclosure that I already have.

A roof top tent could meet #1, #2 but not #3 and #4.

Tentrax can meet #1, #2 and #4 (with some short stairs) but there is no place to set up a porta-potty inside so not #3.

The Adrenalin Camping Trailer, or something similar seems to be my best option. You can get it with a water tank so it meets #1, it has queen bed up off the ground (#2), there is 5'x7' of floor space inside to keep gear out of the rain and for a porta-potty (#3) and you don't have to climb to get inside or into bed. I'd have to agree that the off road ability of the Adrenalin camping trailer isn't as good as the AT overland trailers or the Tentrax because of the length and the overhang, but with trailing arm independent suspension, high lift suspension and large tires it would be pretty capable. Now, if it wasn't so expensive.

Nacho

Now with Chese
SoCal teardrops :link: is another builder, I believe the build the teardrops for AT.
They have 2 off road models as well as a few different regular teardrops.

Sierra 4x4 trailers in another builder, they make make a m-416 style trailer. :link:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
So many people transform military trailers for camping/spares. As Hummer owners, especially H1 owners, I would go that route. You can mount a roof top tent on a fabricated lid, and inside spares and other camping gear. You can even have slide out kitchens modded into it.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Al, that is what I plan on doing with my M101. I just need the time in the same location as the trailer. Between the houses, farm, etc when I am back in Texas there is never a shortage of things to do.

Scarsman

Sponsor
I plan to build an off road trailer some day. I have some pretty crazy ideas for it! It will likely be some time before I can do it though, because I don't have much, any really, extra change to throw at a project like that. But it will be AWESOME!!! Here are some of my ideas:

• Aluminum construction to minimize weight
  • Instead of a conventional axle, it will be independent. Imagine an oversized motorcycle swingarm riding on a coil spring for each wheel. This would provide maximum center ground clearance. (This design is still evolving in my head. Could also end up being an IFS style a-arm suspension with coils or torsions.)
  • Pintle hitch. The tongue would arch up from the hitch and back down to the trailer to avoid breakover issues. The tongue would be just long enough to allow maximum jack-knifing.
  • Wheels will use either an electric or electric over hydraulic steering setup that will be remotely controlled from the driver's seat. They would, of course, lock in center when not using the steering function. This would greatly assist maneuverability on tight offroad trails.
  • Probably use hubs that can run stock H2 wheels. Then carry two spares, and they could be used for either the truck or trailer.
  • Inset rear mounted winch with horizontal sheaves mounted to rear of frame to allow sideways pulling as well as rearward.
  • The roof would raise up like a pop up camp trailer and have canvas walls for a sleeping area on top of the trailer. Probably have a floor section that would fold out one side once the roof was up to make it bigger. Below the sleeping surface would be "hard mounted" utility things and storage as outlined below:

• Self contained w/small generator, 110V welder, small oxy/acet set, small air compressor, water tank w/12V pump and propane water heater
  • Built in tool and parts storage
  • Small "hardware store" section w/nuts/bolts, and things like barsleak, tire plugs, JB Weld, gasket maker, oil, etc.
  • Possibly one of those portable toilet things
  • Camp shower
  • Fuel storage
  • One side would fold down/open up and have gas stove/grill/oven, sink, counter, fridge, and an awning that would pull out over it all.
  • External LED lighting

All the heavy things, like generator, water/fuel tanks, etc. would be kept as low as possible to keep center of gravity low.

As you can see, I have not thought about it very much! All I need is money! Anybody feeling generous? :wink: My dream for it is to build it and then run the Rubicon and some other really long, tough, trails with it.

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
I plan to build an off road trailer some day. I have some pretty crazy ideas for it! It will likely be some time before I can do it though, because I don't have much, any really, extra change to throw at a project like that. But it will be AWESOME!!! Here are some of my ideas:

• Aluminum construction to minimize weight
  • Instead of a conventional axle, it will be independent. Imagine an oversized motorcycle swingarm riding on a coil spring for each wheel. This would provide maximum center ground clearance. (This design is still evolving in my head. Could also end up being an IFS style a-arm suspension with coils or torsions.)
  • Pintle hitch. The tongue would arch up from the hitch and back down to the trailer to avoid breakover issues. The tongue would be just long enough to allow maximum jack-knifing.
  • Wheels will use either an electric or electric over hydraulic steering setup that will be remotely controlled from the driver's seat. They would, of course, lock in center when not using the steering function. This would greatly assist maneuverability on tight offroad trails.
  • Probably use hubs that can run stock H2 wheels. Then carry two spares, and they could be used for either the truck or trailer.
  • Inset rear mounted winch with horizontal sheaves mounted to rear of frame to allow sideways pulling as well as rearward.
  • The roof would raise up like a pop up camp trailer and have canvas walls for a sleeping area on top of the trailer. Probably have a floor section that would fold out one side once the roof was up to make it bigger. Below the sleeping surface would be "hard mounted" utility things and storage as outlined below:

• Self contained w/small generator, 110V welder, small oxy/acet set, small air compressor, water tank w/12V pump and propane water heater
  • Built in tool and parts storage
  • Small "hardware store" section w/nuts/bolts, and things like barsleak, tire plugs, JB Weld, gasket maker, oil, etc.
  • Possibly one of those portable toilet things
  • Camp shower
  • Fuel storage
  • One side would fold down/open up and have gas stove/grill/oven, sink, counter, fridge, and an awning that would pull out over it all.
  • External LED lighting

All the heavy things, like generator, water/fuel tanks, etc. would be kept as low as possible to keep center of gravity low.

As you can see, I have not thought about it very much! All I need is money! Anybody feeling generous? :wink: My dream for it is to build it and then run the Rubicon and some other really long, tough, trails with it.

Might wanna ask if he wants a "one of a kind" Hummer Trailer built:wink::cheers:

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Once I am back in Texas on a more regular basis I will get started on mine. Lots of ideas but need to start figuring out how to work them in.

Chook

Here are some photos of my camper trailer & setup IMG_3072.jpgIMG_3073.jpgIMG_3100.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3070.jpg
    IMG_3070.jpg
    695.6 KB · Views: 346

Chook

Cool setup. How long does it take to setup?
Around 1 minute:)......... The tent is an OZTent (world renowned as the 30 second tent) and is already laid out in the top of the trailer so I save about 10 seconds off that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adVIQbUWHZk I just undo the clips for the aluminium top, it is hinged on the side and lifts up on gas struts in seconds. Then pull up the top of the tent and clip the sides. (no ropes, pegs, etc required). About 3 minutes with the OZTent Foxwing (which is mounted on the side of my GOBI Rack). The foxwing gives me a 270 degree awning around the vehicle and the also zips onto the OZTent if required (as well as many other zip on accessories). http://au.oztent.com/products/demovideo.asp?categoryID=6&productid=251 . The kitchen in the front has fridge, power, water, lights, already setup for a roadside stop or an overnight camp. So all up for an overnight camp takes about 10 minutes (including pulling a cold beer out of the fridge and the chairs & table out of the trailer.