• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Sliding feel when hitting bumps on the highway

D

Deleted member 7876

Hey all, new member/owner. I have a question, but first, a quick rundown of my '06 H3 Adventure.
When I bought it:
250,000 miles on the body
T-bars set to 23.5
18" wheels with 4yr old 325/60R18 Toyo Open Country tires(decent tread left)
Upper Control arms replaced
The rest is mostly original stuff
What I did:
Replaced front and rear shocks(Bilstein 5100)
Replaced inner/outer tie rods on both sides
Replaced rack and pinion bushings with heavier duty bushings
Replaced lower ball joints on both sides
Replaced sway bar end links and sway bar bushings front and back
Alignment at a reputable 4 wheel drive shop

Although my steering is tighter I still have this sliding feel when going over bumps on the highway, in whichever direction the steering wheel is pointed (left or right) It's a little alarming. Never owning an H3 before I don't know if this is something that is common or something I need to look further into. So my question is, what else can I look at to fix this issue?
Thanks for taking the time to read this!

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I didn't see on that list that the lower control arm bushings were replaced. Has that happened? If not, your lower control arms could be shifting when hitting bumps.

rascole

what heavy duty bushings did you use for the steering rack? Almost sounds like it is still shifting. If you have one, put a GoPro with a magnetic mount under the transmission crossmember and video the front suspension under those conditions.

D

Deleted member 7876

I didn't replace the lower control arm bushings because they didn't look to bad, hindsight, maybe I should've when replacing everything else but like I said, they didn't seem to bad.
I'm not sure what rack and pinion bushings I used, all I know is they were recommended to fix the movement of the R&P. I'll have to see if someone has a go pro that I could borrow and try to record what's going on under there. It feels like the whole body is floating left or right, just for a second after ya hit a bump. It's crazy.

atvspeed4

Check for a broken leaf spring where the leaf wraps up around the eye at or inside the front spring hanger. Don't do a quick look, take time and run hand around leaf to feel for a break in the metal. I've experienced the drifting feeling several times before and it was a broken leaf each time unfortunately.