• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3T Alpha spark plugs - Yeah right...

SkinGripz

OK, decided to do minor work as I bought my 09 H3T previously owned. Spark plugs were on the list. Bought a set of eight and was set to install them with the morning sun. Not gonna happen...

After figuring out I aint seen an engine like this before, I found the plugs. There aint a snowball chance in hell I'm gonna fit my circus hands anywhere close to where they'd need to be to work on this thing. The plug under the battery, behind the wire harness that will not budge sealed the deal. For me to do this would require removing the engine I think.

Quote from dealer was $148.00 labor, I supply the plugs. Sound fair? I'm guessing 2 hour labor charge and a midget (little person) rental fee?

Going with NGK Iridium as they were out of acdelco and bosch at the only auto parts store within 40 miles.

Mr_Rich

Spark plug replacements were notoriously difficult on 4th gen F-bodies with 5.7L GenII/ LSX engines. What was required was to unbolt the AIR tubes and some of the coil packs so that there was room to fit your hands/ wrenches. It was fairly routine after you've done it the second time and you knew what was involved. An H3 Alpha couldn't be any worse than my '98 Firebird.

CARdiac

OK, decided to do minor work as I bought my 09 H3T previously owned. Spark plugs were on the list. Bought a set of eight and was set to install them with the morning sun. Not gonna happen...

After figuring out I aint seen an engine like this before, I found the plugs. There aint a snowball chance in hell I'm gonna fit my circus hands anywhere close to where they'd need to be to work on this thing. The plug under the battery, behind the wire harness that will not budge sealed the deal. For me to do this would require removing the engine I think.

Quote from dealer was $148.00 labor, I supply the plugs. Sound fair? I'm guessing 2 hour labor charge and a midget (little person) rental fee?

Going with NGK Iridium as they were out of acdelco and bosch at the only auto parts store within 40 miles.

Ok, I fit my circus hands in there and removed/replaced 7/8 plugs. i need some advice on how to get the last one out... it sits right behind the alt.

4speedfunk

I had a buddy in high-school that put a V8 in a Vega. It was impossible to change plugs from above or below without raising the motor. So we drilled some 1" holes in the inner fenders that perfectly aligned with the spark plugs. That way all you had to do was remove the front tire...stick a 12" extension thru the hole...and swap em out. This worked very well, and you might try doing something like that...especially since the H3 inner fenders are plastic. I'm sure a hole saw would buzz right thru em.

TD-5

I know this is an old thread, but thought I would add to it for those searching for info on changing plugs on an Alpha. Like previously mentioned 7 of the 8 plugs are doable with the right combination of ratchet/extension/socket and a few choice words. Mechanics gloves are recommended to prevent war wounds to the hands.
# 1 spark plug is inaccessible as fitted. I ended up having to remove the Alternator and then the power steering pump assembly to get at the plug. It is a good thing these Iridium plugs should only need changed once in the vehicles life.

Attachments

• 3 no access to spark plug.JPG
    3 no access to spark plug.JPG
    642 KB · Views: 203
  • 10 remove PS pump bracket upper bolts & lift out pump.JPG
    10 remove PS pump bracket upper bolts & lift out pump.JPG
    960.7 KB · Views: 209
  • 12 #1 spark plug.JPG
    12 #1 spark plug.JPG
    738.5 KB · Views: 218
  • 13 change plug.JPG
    13 change plug.JPG
    974.9 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

clickclickboom

It only takes like 8 push clips, and 1 bolt to remove each plastic inner fender. Once you do that you can get to all the plugs from the side. It's not fun, but it's not awful. Just get creative with wobble extensions, etc.

H3ALPHA

I know this is an old thread, but thought I would add to it for those searching for info on changing plugs on an Alpha. Like previously mentioned 7 of the 8 plugs are doable with the right combination of ratchet/extension/socket and a few choice words. Mechanics gloves are recommended to prevent war wounds to the hands.
# 1 spark plug is inaccessible as fitted. I ended up having to remove the Alternator and then the power steering pump assembly to get at the plug. It is a good thing these Iridium plugs should only need changed once in the vehicles life.

Thanks for giving me an idea of what I am up against...

Anyone know what gap is required for the Alpha spark plugs?

rsm688

Took me 45 minutes to do mine including replacing plug wires. Pull the inner fender liners. Makes right side easy, left side a little trickier had to get two from the top the others from the bottom. Get an assortment of extension and angle adapters and it will make it easier. Also if its been a long time since they were changed let it run a bit before then cool a little it,ll make them break loose easier

Last edited:

Brad

Spark plug replacements were notoriously difficult on 4th gen F-bodies with 5.7L GenII/ LSX engines. What was required was to unbolt the AIR tubes and some of the coil packs so that there was room to fit your hands/ wrenches. It was fairly routine after you've done it the second time and you knew what was involved. An H3 Alpha couldn't be any worse than my '98 Firebird.
Yeah, all those 4th gen F-bodys sucked to work on. Half the engine is under the dash. I don't have an Alpha but imagine any engine work on an Alpha would be way easier than any engine work on a 4th gen F-body. The 2nd gen F-body was super easy to work on though. They don't make cars like they used to.

https://ibb.co/HrkN2Y8

https://youtu.be/vJ4CcK8JunE

Last edited:

Brad

Yeah, all those 4th gen F-bodys sucked to work on. Half the engine is under the dash. I don't have an Alpha but imagine any engine work on an Alpha would be way easier than any engine work on a 4th gen F-body. The 2nd gen F-body was super easy to work on though. They don't make cars like they used to.

https://ibb.co/HrkN2Y8

https://youtu.be/vJ4CcK8JunE

Opps didn't realize I was replying to an old post.