• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Rancho Lift Questions

amrg

Don't mean to highjack this tread.

I am currently running 35s with 1.5 spacers and I like the stance with OEM fender flares. If I were to do the Ranch lift what wheel size do I need to get to keep the same stance (Tires almost flush with fender flares)
without needing the 1.5 spacers? Also can I run the same 35s I have on my OEM wheels and put those on the new wheels?

Thanks for all the feedback in advance!!
Stock offset is +38. 1.5" spacers equate to 37/38 mm so to keep the tire at the same location any 0 offset wheel will do.
Offcourse will have fitment issues with a rancho lift unless you run a 20" wheel (not sure but I remember 20s have different fitment specs)

USMC_315

Do I need a modded or older model front skid plate to fit the lift kit? Coulda sworn I saw something like this somewhere

USMC_315

I'm reading that the bilstein's have a rough ride. Anybody have a recommended shock for after the lift that will still give me that Cadillac ride or is that too far fetched with a lift?

derian06

Red Rockett
I'm reading that the bilstein's have a rough ride. Anybody have a recommended shock for after the lift that will still give me that Cadillac ride or is that too far fetched with a lift?

The bilstein's are going to be better than the rancho shocks for sure. The rancho shocks suck.

USMC_315

Bumping for a couple of additional questions

1. Will stock H3 diff bushings work with the drop bracket? If not what size do I need to replace old/worn ones...
2. Does anyone what shocks are optimal with a Rancho lift? I'm leaning towards Fox for something more premium and a tad more stiff, but don't know what size I need for front and back... I've been using Bilstiens since I cranked my torsion bars 7-8 years ago and they are too mushy imo

rascole

Bumping for a couple of additional questions

1. Will stock H3 diff bushings work with the drop bracket? If not what size do I need to replace old/worn ones...
2. Does anyone what shocks are optimal with a Rancho lift? I'm leaning towards Fox for something more premium and a tad more stiff, but don't know what size I need for front and back... I've been using Bilstiens since I cranked my torsion bars 7-8 years ago and they are too mushy imo
1. Stock bushings will work, but, because yours are old, upgrade.
2. What Bilstein did you use? I used the 5100's for a Silverado and they were stiff but with all the added weight on the front, they were perfect.

Bilstein 24-185950

USMC_315

1. Stock bushings will work, but, because yours are old, upgrade.
2. What Bilstein did you use? I used the 5100's for a Silverado and they were stiff but with all the added weight on the front, they were perfect.

Bilstein 24-185950

I've ran the 5100's like most folks here recommend for a torsion lift, but whatever came up for the H3 when I searched on 4wheelparts/summit racing is what I bought. I guess the 5100's come in different measurements, didn't know that. Now the question is, do I need a new set for the rear? Or should the ones I've been using back there be fine?

rascole

I've ran the 5100's like most folks here recommend for a torsion lift, but whatever came up for the H3 when I searched on 4wheelparts/summit racing is what I bought. I guess the 5100's come in different measurements, didn't know that. Now the question is, do I need a new set for the rear? Or should the ones I've been using back there be fine?
Did you do a rear spring over? If so, the stock length will work.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I've been using Bilstiens since I cranked my torsion bars 7-8 years ago and they are too mushy imo
Have you been using the same set for that whole time, or a couple of different sets? Those shocks might just be tired. A lot of us often get amazed at whatever brand shock we put on, citing them as a huge upgrade over the old shock but sometimes the old ones were just not functioning well. Fox would likely be a nicer ride, but might not be necessary.

USMC_315

Have you been using the same set for that whole time, or a couple of different sets? Those shocks might just be tired. A lot of us often get amazed at whatever brand shock we put on, citing them as a huge upgrade over the old shock but sometimes the old ones were just not functioning well. Fox would likely be a nicer ride, but might not be necessary.
I've replaced the shocks a couple times over the years, current set is only a year or two old (10-15k miles). Even knowing the offroad ride may be worse, I think I'd prefer a stiffer shock. Do you know what Fox shocks would pair well with a Rancho lift? I can't seem to find what the specs are for suspension travel on the Rancho paperwork or website

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Sorry, I can't help with specific recommendations on shocks or measurements. Just wanted to make sure you weren't comparing an 8 year old shock to a new one, and you aren't.

USMC_315

if i can find a lift kit i would get one
Good luck, took me about 4 years to find one I was actually able to get my hands on. My biggest regret with this vehicle is not buying a new Rancho when they were still selling them, opted for a Gobi rack and small vacation instead. Now it's cost me way more both in money and in headaches lol

USMC_315

Better off just doing a custom lift vs the price of the rancho.
That really depends, to do an SAS with lockers 4speedfunk quoted mid to high teens at his shop a couple of years back. A custom fab shop near me quoted me 14k to do a custom IFS lift (not including locker installs).

Whereas getting a Rancho kit, front and rear E-lockers, and then paying for a shop to do all the work is gonna cost me less than half that. Now, I'm sure if I did all the work on a custom lift, SAS or not, I could get it to a similar price. But I don't have the time, space, expertise, or desire to deal with it

aspen

got to find one at a junk yard all the parts strip it powder coat and install