• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Walker Valley Washington, 3/27/14

Scarsman

Sponsor
Well, we had a great day. It was supposed to be raining, but I don't think we saw a drop while there. Rain before and after, but not during. In fact we even got some blue sky and sunshine during our lunch break.

On arrival we found that two new huge boulders had been place in the gate keeper, shortening up the space available. This worried me a little since we had two trucks with no lockers and one with no ucp or sliders at all. But, with some luck and some great driving we got everybody through without any issues. I did decide I need to move up my plans for a front locker though! I had to winch off of H3slate for about a foot to get one front tire up on a rock. With a locker it would have walked right up, as was proven by RamRod!

I don't have many pics on my phone, but I'll get this stated with what I do have. I have some video I'll post up, but it may be a few days before it's edited and I can get it uploaded.

uploadfromtaptalk1427648585607.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1427648773395.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427648931844.jpg

Last edited:

Hummjay

Wild Thang
Another great run yesterday! So much fun with lots of obstacles on the trails to keep us all challenged. Beautiful weather and good friends made for an awesome day. I will post up my pics after sorting through what I managed to capture while navigating over many boulders, around rocky hairpin turns, and through all those rain-filled potholes. Wow... what a blast! Stay tuned!

RamRod

Looks like fun. Taylor did the h3 in the first pic do any damage to the fender? Looks very close to that rock!

That was taken right at the tipping point, as she inched forward from there it moved away from that rock

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hummjay

Wild Thang
Nahh that is humjay and she barley missed it, it was pretty close.

Yeah it was really close, like only a few centimeters from that boulder! Upon my approach to the grouping of big rocks, with that boulder being the largest one, I could see that I needed to muster up every bit of space available in order to get by the boulder and through that tight, rocky area. So by using a neat little "mirror” trick I learned at Moab (thanks 3Hummers!), I was able to carefully get my tires up very close to that boulder without touching it to give me a little more room to maneuver through. But what I didn't count on was my truck tipping; there was a big dip waiting for my driver’s side tire. It went way down and my passenger rear tire went up in the air and I felt like I was going to topple over!! So the guys came over and pushed the top of my truck, giving me enough leverage to maneuvered through unscathed. Many thanks go out to the outstanding wheeling and spotting skills of Scarsman and H3slate. You guys are amazing! :cheers:

Hummjay

Wild Thang
Walker Valley, WA

OK so I was able to capture a few photos, the rest are here. And there’s a few more on my camera but first I need to find the transfer cable so I can put them to my laptop. There were lots of potholes. The "ponds" that covered the trail were really fun though!

I think that getting through the gate was probably the most challenging... I think lol. Just read Scarsman's post. The gatekeeper tried hard to keep us out, but luckily we all made it through without fail. H3slate was the guinea pig, we all decided he should go first haha! :giggle:

Scarsman

Sponsor
Yes, since taylorblake had no sliders or skids, and was on 35"s, we used H3slate to try it first on 35"s. Figured if we could get him through without hitting his sliders then Blake could make it.

Last edited:

Hummjay

Wild Thang
Taylorblake was next. We were all worried since he didn't have UCP or sliders. But with Scarsman's excellent spotting, he went through like a pro!

Then me, Ramrod (I'll have to get his pics off my camera), and lastly, Scarsman. We all were on edge seeing the beast trying to get through... and he made it through! It's rumored that he had a little help getting over that last big rock though. I can't seem to find that photo... :huh:

Scarsman

Sponsor
A front locker would have done it. Right front had to climb about foot and a half up that boulder, but the left front was already in the air, so the right front had no power at all. And the left rear was trying to climb a rock at the same time. I'm really hoping I can pull an ARB out of my hat this summer!

Hummjay

Wild Thang
Stopped for lunch at this nice clearing. Gave everyone a chance to stretch out and enjoy the sunshine that just came out. :)

This steep rocky hill climb proved to be the most difficult by far. Having no lockers on my rig, I didn't have to think twice about attempting this hill, so I chose the easier one. :wink: But it was challenging enough for me though! Here's H3slate bravely crawling his way over some nasty, gnarly boulders up the hill; sorry this pic doesn't do justice, it was steep, but you can kind of see how steep it is using the onlookers below as a gauge. He and his truck were awesome! But rumor has it.. :wink:

Getting out of the gatekeeper was a nice challenge; it was way easier than getting in.

RamRod

Great pic's guys! thanks for posting! I have a few that I still need to post up, got to figure out this new phone, then they'll get posted!