• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

recovery

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Hey guys, i did a lot of towing with a tow strap on saturday, just wondering if that could have caused any damage to my rig at all? There is none to report yet, i just didnt know if a lot of towing could warp the frame or pull other body parts out of their right place? Thanks for any info.

benlaud87

depends on how much weight you were pulling, and how you pulled. For example if you jerked or gradually pulled the weight. I know two weak points have been identified as the front frame where the tow hooks attach. Ridge Demon makes reinforced brackets to help.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I pulled with the front some, but that had like one jerk then it was smooth. Then i switched to the rear, had mostly smooth gradual stuff, but the guys rig was dead so i had to tow it out of the park and occasionally the towline would loosed up and it would jerk some.

benlaud87

You should be fine then. I think alot of bent frames and parts comes from when someone is really stuck in the mud, causing a 5000lb vehicle to take 10000lbs of force to move.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Ahh ok thanks, i didnt really think i had to worry about something, just figured id ask and see if anybody had some good info to share. BTW your rear bumper looks nice!!

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Tow strap or recovery strap? because there is a difference. A recovery strap (also known as snatch strap or kinetic strap) has elasticity and will stretch to aid in recovery. It really depending on the force of the pull, whether or not it will cause damage. Chances are you will not encounter any pulls that will cause any damage other then maybe bending the front tow hook plates.