• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Navigation System Upgrades

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
I'd like to upgrade the OEM radio in my H3T to a Navigation system with video input for the backup camera and a front camera, but I don't want to lose the OnStar, Bluetooth or XM radio. Is the OnStar service or Bluetooth function affected by changing to an aftermarket Navigation system? Does anyone know of a Navigation system with two or more selectable video inputs? How do the aftermarket Navigation systems look installed in the stock dash compared to the OEM Navigation system?

Here is a picture that I believe is the OEM Navigation system that I stole off fleebay.
H3TOEMNavigationSystem.jpg

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Mean like this?
AVIC5.jpg

AVIC4.jpg

That's a Pioneer Avic system. Almost six years old and still going strong; although I do need to install a new backup camera, the current one does not always work and the low light capability is getting worse. You do need to get a Pioneer XM receiver (or Sirius) if you want to keep the service. Most of the new models have internal bluetooth for phones, and other devices.

It was actually easy to install.
You do need an adapter to keep Onstar and to allow you to connect directly to the vehicle's wiring connectors. The best I have found is the Axxess GMOS-04.
You take the adapter and connect all the wires to the radio at the kitchen table while watching a football game, then go to the Hummer and you just plug in the connectors from the adapter to the vehicle's wiring connectors. The GMOS-4 also senses the vehicle being put into reverse to enable the screen to change from normal to the rear camera.

Did need to get a special plate to go around the head unit but that was only about 10 bucks.

The GMOS also allows the chimes to go through the new head unit, so you can keep all the warnings.

They tell you after install, to set up the sound for the Onstar by talking with someone and as you talk you ground a wire from the GMOS adapter until the sound is at the level you desire. That really sucks I found out. You might need to change the volume of Onstar for different conditions. Sitting still and a lower sound is good. Doing 70 on a highway requires higher volume. So, I took that little brown wire, and ran it to a push button (same type of button used for the bypass for a car alarm...in fact, my Python installer gave me one for free) and ran the other wire to ground. Now when I'm using Onstar I can push the button to get the sound higher or lower; depending on the current condition.

The rear camera can be mounted in various locations. I mounted mine to the top of the trailer hitch and ran the wires under the panels on the left interior. Mounted the box under the seat, and then ran the wire from the camera box to the radio.
AVIC1.jpg

Camera has never been damaged, even though the the bottom of the trailer hitch has been hit a hundred times (I actually refer to it as the bumper protector). It does need cleaning from time to time.:)

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Here is mine, Sony XNV-770BT. TomTom navigation, DVD, backup camera input, built in bluetooth, iPod interface, aux video input, satilite radio ready (requires interface), HD Radio ready (requires interface), etc. Axxess GMOS-01 or GMOS-04 required to retain Onstar and warning chimes. TomTom GPS module is easy to remove for updates.

GPS antenna in factory navigation antenna location
P3180010.jpg

TomTom module & iPod input
P3190028.jpg

Axxess GMOS-01 module
P3180003.jpg

P3180005.jpg

End result
P3200029.jpg

P3200033.jpg

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Let me add to the GPS mounting location. The factory location is good, but I found out just as good is on the top of the left upper A/C duct. What I did was place a plate with two sided tape (comes with most units) on top of the duct, and then the GPS antenna, which has a magnet, attaches to the plate. Install about three minutes for the plate, 30 seconds for the antenna.

OtterH3

Sorry to dig out such a old thread, but I was searching around for what I need to install a Nav unit I picked up and have some questions. From my research, is it correct that the Gmos-01 is for non amplifield or non monsson units and the 04 is capatible with Monsoon systems? Is this the the only harness I'll need? Does it install between the factory harness and the Nav harness?

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Sorry to dig out such a old thread, but I was searching around for what I need to install a Nav unit I picked up and have some questions. From my research, is it correct that the Gmos-01 is for non amplifield or non monsson units and the 04 is capatible with Monsoon systems? Is this the the only harness I'll need? Does it install between the factory harness and the Nav harness?

Not sure about the GMOS-01 and non monsoon systems. I would go with whatever Axxess says is the correct unit on their website.

Yes, the interface goes in-between the new nav system and the vehicle's harness connectors. You can spend an hour or two at the table soldering the wires from the nav unit and the interface then go to the H3 and plug the two connectors from the interface directly into the H3. Fun part is trying to stuff all the extra wires and the interface in the dash.

I soldered the connections and used heat shrink tubing over the soldered connections. You can use butt end connectors, but, that will add to the size of the bundle of wires to install inside the dash.

autumn walker

IIRC GMOS-01 is for non-amplified and GMOS-04 is for amplified. I had the GMOS-01 in my H3 (non amplified) and have the GMOS-04 in my H2 w/ Bose. Both work(ed) great.

I have it connected to a Pioneer AVIC x920BT (running x940BT software) and it has multiple video inputs. Great headunit, I love it.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
IIRC GMOS-01 is for non-amplified and GMOS-04 is for amplified. I had the GMOS-01 in my H3 (non amplified) and have the GMOS-04 in my H2 w/ Bose. Both work(ed) great.

I have it connected to a Pioneer AVIC x920BT (running x940BT software) and it has multiple video inputs. Great headunit, I love it.
My Pioneer Z1 (in the photo above) finally crashed, so I replaced it with the new X940BT. Like the radio part of the unit; especially, the micro SD card, but I am not impressed with the nav system. The maps on my old Z1 (which had been upgraded to a Z3) actually had more accurate maps. But overall, it sounds better than the Z1 and like the larger buttons. It also works great with my wireless remote and the PAC WRI interface.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
With the AVIC units there is a hardware mod you can make to the wiring harness to prevent it from locking while in motion, no additional hardware required.

Yes, very easy. Just add a wire to the white connector, then tie that wire to ground, along with the park brake wire from the unit and you have full functions at any speed.

For information on any Pioneer unit, a great site is www.avic411.com