• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 6.0L LS Swap

tmhb16

I bought a 2006 H3 a few months ago and have really enjoyed it with the exception of the complete lack of power from the 3.5L I5. The only modifications I've done so far are black out the chrome, tint the windows, level the front, and new wheels and 35" tires (which definitely did not help the HP problem).
attachment.php

attachment.php

Recently I had a pretty major issue with the stock motor. A small bolt came loose and fell out inside of the timing chain cover on the back of the engine. After bouncing around inside for awhile (made some very strange noises), it caught the timing chain and was ejected through the timing chain cover. Luckily I was not too far from home and was able to make it before it lost too much oil. The engine is very repairable but I decided since I was probably going to have the pull the engine anyway, this would be a great time to do a 6.0L swap and build a H3 that would have the power I reliability I want.

After doing some research and talking to some knowledgeable people, I decided the best engine for the swap (while staying within a reasonable budget) was a 6.0L LY6 out of a 08+ chevy truck, van, ect. These engines have the desirable L92 heads, variable valve timing, are 58x, and make great power. I found one out of an 08 2500HD with only 23k miles complete with all the accessories.
attachment.php

Most people who have done similar swaps in 06-07 H3s and also Chevy Colorados use a car intake for clearance with the pinch seam on the firewall (08+ models have a different firewall shape). I have read that the stock truck intake makes great power and torque so I wanted to keep it if possible to save some money by having to buy a somewhat expensive car intake/injectors. I spent some of that saved money and bought a mini sledge hammer from harbor freight and went to work "modifying" the pinch seam and firewall for clearance for the truck intake. I did a test fit today and everything seems to fit well so far.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I spent a lot of time trying to find similar swaps and there's not a lot of info out there for H3 swaps yet so I'll try to cover all the major stuff and post a complete parts list. I'm hoping to make this a reasonalbly quick project so I should have some updates soon.

Attachments

• 20141213_205214.jpg
    20141213_205214.jpg
    563.4 KB · Views: 35,262
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 36,259
  • 20140615_112920.jpg
    20140615_112920.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 48,393
  • 20141214_102435.jpg
    20141214_102435.jpg
    734.5 KB · Views: 51,215
  • 20141214_122409.jpg
    20141214_122409.jpg
    763.9 KB · Views: 36,308

derian06

Red Rockett
I bought a 2006 H3 a few months ago and have really enjoyed it with the exception of the complete lack of power from the 3.5L I5. The only modifications I've done so far are black out the chrome, tint the windows, level the front, and new wheels and 35" tires (which definitely did not help the HP problem).
attachment.php

attachment.php

Recently I had a pretty major issue with the stock motor. A small bolt came loose and fell out inside of the timing chain cover on the back of the engine. After bouncing around inside for awhile (made some very strange noises), it caught the timing chain and was ejected through the timing chain cover. Luckily I was not too far from home and was able to make it before it lost too much oil. The engine is very repairable but I decided since I was probably going to have the pull the engine anyway, this would be a great time to do a 6.0L swap and build a H3 that would have the power I reliability I want.

After doing some research and talking to some knowledgeable people, I decided the best engine for the swap (while staying within a reasonable budget) was a 6.0L LY6 out of a 08+ chevy truck, van, ect. These engines have the desirable L92 heads, variable valve timing, are 58x, and make great power. I found one out of an 08 2500HD with only 23k miles complete with all the accessories.
attachment.php

Most people who have done similar swaps in 06-07 H3s and also Chevy Colorados use a car intake for clearance with the pinch seam on the firewall (08+ models have a different firewall shape). I have read that the stock truck intake makes great power and torque so I wanted to keep it if possible to save some money by having to buy a somewhat expensive car intake/injectors. I spent some of that saved money and bought a mini sledge hammer from harbor freight and went to work "modifying" the pinch seam and firewall for clearance for the truck intake. I did a test fit today and everything seems to fit well so far.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I spent a lot of time trying to find similar swaps and there's not a lot of info out there for H3 swaps yet so I'll try to cover all the major stuff and post a complete parts list. I'm hoping to make this a reasonalbly quick project so I should have some updates soon.

How are you planning on dealing with the electronics and the drivetrain?

4speedfunk

I'm with derian...swapping the motor is a no-brainier. Getting it to start and run in the H3 is another matter entirely.

tmhb16

For the wiring harness and tuning I am working with a guy from Canada (Jacob’s Wiring). This is the first H3 he has done but has done several Colorado V8 swaps and they are similar as far as wiring and electronics. The computer will be a custom tuned E67 with a separate TCM. Jacob will be making a custom wiring harness also. I originally planned on reusing the stock transmission by swapping out the bell housing and input shaft/drum but there were some concerns electronically. Jacob thinks he could make it work with some custom programming but would not know for sure until I actually tried it. I found a great deal on a 4l60E from a 09 Silverado that I decided to use instead. This trans has an input speed sensor and a couple of other differences that makes it easier to deal with programming wise and might save some headaches down the road. It also has much lower miles on it than my stock trans. The rest of the drive train (transfer case, ect) will be stock H3 for now. Jacob is confident that everything electronic will work like it came from the factory that way. Even the variable valve timing on the Ly6 engine will be functional.

amrg

Good luck and keep us posted! Are you gona modify the 6.0 or just keep is stock?

RamRod

Where in Canada is he do you know? I might be able to pay him a visit or stop by if he needs to look at anything on my rig

Sent from handheld smoke signal device

SuperBuickGuy

I don't know about this, it is a business they're trying to run. If they give us the info needed they're potentially loosing customers. But it's worth a shot.

Or they could get a customer because of the amount of work, willingness to help without payment, and demonstrated knowledge of the issue... I got stopped for more than a year on my Spider because I had no idea who to turn to in order to get the wiring harness right for the motor... the guys that helped me, have sold me thousands of dollars in stuff because of their willingness to help. With that said, if they came across as arrogant or unwilling to help they'd have gotten zero dollars.

And because of that, I continue to recommend 150tunes.com for all tuning, wiring, and drivetrain parts (don't take this as a slight to PCM of NC, they are every bit as helpful).

and I've looked into this as well, this is not a difficult or even needlessly expensive swap - electronics from the 80s to 2000 were a b***h to integrate, now, it's almost one of the simplest things to do because there are a billion tuners out there who think wiring is fun (and heaven bless them for their attitude).

tmhb16

Good luck and keep us posted! Are you gona modify the 6.0 or just keep is stock?

Planning on keeping it stock for now. I've heard that these engines make as much as 400hp at the crank with just a tune. That will be enough power to make it tough to keep the front diff from exploding. Thought about adding an aftermarket cam but my gas millage would likely suffer and the power would put even more stress on the drive train.

tmhb16

I don't know about this, it is a business they're trying to run. If they give us the info needed they're potentially loosing customers. But it's worth a shot.

I considered contacting Mash Motors but since their 6.0/6.2 swaps start at $18500 I figured their stuff would not be the most cost effective option. If I do end up running into a major problem, giving them a call cant hurt.

tmhb16

Where in Canada is he do you know? I might be able to pay him a visit or stop by if he needs to look at anything on my rig

Sent from handheld smoke signal device

I believe he is located outside of Vancouver, I don't know if seeing your rig in person is necessary but some pics may be a big help if some questions come up later. Thanks for the offer!

04colyZQ8

Probationary Member
Hi guys/gals!

I'm new here. I'm Jamie I'm doing the Wirring! I hope you guys don't mind me subscribing to the thread?

I have a love for autos Peroid, my dad does auto resteration! My grandpa was a auto mechanic. I'm a high pressure scba compressor tech, that's my carrier! My love for vehicles, and my passion for Wirring, and computer hacking, has led me to have a hobby business (side line).

My knowledge is all gm, and mostly Colorado/canyons. But I more then apreciate there stronger bigger brother (hummer h3)! I hope you don't mind be calling them a bigger brother?

Hopefully I can help make a small dent, in this cool v8 swap, project! Lots of work ahead! Loving what I see so far.

Hopefully you can sell the old 3.5l and recoup some costs!
-Jamie

04colyZQ8

Probationary Member
Yeah I'm in Langley/ surrey. I work out of home, and my dads shop.

Your more then welcome to drop by, I'd love to see a h3 in person, that's not wrecked! I've scored some nice parts off a poor h3.. Rip nice black full load h3..too bad the seats got wet!

Send me a pm, and we can arrange to meet if you like!

CaseyS

I'm hoping to make this a reasonalbly quick project so I should have some updates soon.

Engine swap and quick don't belong on the same sentence. There WILL be some head scratchers at some point.

Please keep us updated on this. Looks like you have done a good bit of research up to this point and are already deep into it. Be sure to keep us posted with lots of pics. I want to see what you do to get exhaust headers fit in there and what you end up grafting on wiring.

4speedfunk

I hope you don't mind be calling them a bigger brother?

More like a retarded cousin :giggle:

TM...So did you use stock Alpha motor mounts? Looks like it belongs there. Just curious what amount of "fab" is required, other than trimming the firewall, and replacing the AT with one from a V8. I've got an 08 model so it is probably good to go with the firewall. I know many stock Alpha owners complain about radiator capacity...going custom to handle the extra cubes? Make sure to have 04coly record the wiring mods (probably some future sales in that department).

tmhb16

Engine swap and quick don't belong on the same sentence. There WILL be some head scratchers at some point.

Please keep us updated on this. Looks like you have done a good bit of research up to this point and are already deep into it. Be sure to keep us posted with lots of pics. I want to see what you do to get exhaust headers fit in there and what you end up grafting on wiring.

The only headers that I know of that might fit without much modification are Doug Thorley long tubes for a Colorado V8 truck and cost about $700. To save some money I’m going to run some stock GM manifolds for now. For the driver side, I bought a Alpha/Colorado 5.3 manifold (GM part# 12598548). I found a new one on ebay for $60 shipped. It fits great with plenty of clearance. For the passenger side I was hoping to keep the stock 6.0L truck manifold. It comes close to hitting the bottom inner fender but I think it will be ok. I can always make a small dent in the inner fender if I need a little more clearance.

tmhb16

More like a retarded cousin :giggle:

TM...So did you use stock Alpha motor mounts? Looks like it belongs there. Just curious what amount of "fab" is required, other than trimming the firewall, and replacing the AT with one from a V8. I've got an 08 model so it is probably good to go with the firewall. I know many stock Alpha owners complain about radiator capacity...going custom to handle the extra cubes? Make sure to have 04coly record the wiring mods (probably some future sales in that department).

The motor mounts I’m using are from Current Performance. Here’s the link:
http://www.currentperformance.com/shop/04-08-colorado-canyon-v8-engine-mounts/

Haven’t decided what to do about the cooling system yet. On Mash Motor’s website they say that their swaps reuse the stock radiator and include a “heavy duty” fan and clutch. I’m hoping to use an external trans cooler and maybe an electric pusher fan on the front of the radiator along with the stock mechanical fan. If that’s not enough, I might have to go with a custom radiator.

The oil pan is GM's muscle car pan (part# 19212593). Its the same one used on Alpha H3s. The cheapest place I found to buy it is Jegs.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/19212593/10002/-1

CaseyS

Before you get too far with your transmission you need to look at a few things. There are some things on the H3 4L60e that are specific. The pan is notched to clear the front driveshaft. The driveshaft will not clear with a standard pan. In order to fit the clearanced pan, the 1-2 accumulator is offset and I think I also remember the valve body is unique as well. You will have to swap these parts into your 09 trans to get it to work.

SuperBuickGuy

The only headers that I know of that might fit without much modification are Doug Thorley long tubes for a Colorado V8 truck and cost about $700. To save some money I’m going to run some stock GM manifolds for now. For the driver side, I bought a Alpha/Colorado 5.3 manifold (GM part# 12598548). I found a new one on ebay for $60 shipped. It fits great with plenty of clearance. For the passenger side I was hoping to keep the stock 6.0L truck manifold. It comes close to hitting the bottom inner fender but I think it will be ok. I can always make a small dent in the inner fender if I need a little more clearance.

no they won't.... they'll hit the H3-only cross member. Short of custom fab, headers are a no-go on H3s... with that said, you can buy stock exhaust manifolds from GM

04colyZQ8

Probationary Member
Interesting to know about the trans pan, etc differences!

Are the h3 grills blocking the rad, as opposed to the Colorado? Most of us have reused the stock rad, the manual trans rad from gm has a tad more capacity then the auto, as the trans cooler isn't in the rad. The alpha or lh9 Colorado rad is barley and larger, I think the added capacity mostly comes from the extra water stored in the larger v8 engine block. One of our members switched to a lh9 rad, only two discover it cooled better with the 5cyl rad!

Only ones having trouble are in high heat states, and running hard, or towing!

I've got the stock auto 5cyl rad, and a black Magic extreme 180 efan, 186 t stat. Runs around 192f at idle, and 190 while moving, driving at speeds over 50mph the efan rarely kicks in, at all!

Climbing the canadain Rockies, with ac on, in 3rd gear going 90mph I started to over heat, only climbed to 200. I dropped my speed, and my temps went down to 194.

You'll be fine with the stock rad, good efan or mechanical fan. Good shroud will help with the mechanical fan. As long as you don't go Insane up the hills or two heavy loads with your foot into it, you'll be just fine.