• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 H3 Rear Flex Mod

Trekker

That Guy
This was a fairly popular mod, so I thought I would bring it over here to share:

I'm done with my flex mod! Man, that was a lot of work. Here's what I added:

• SamCo extended leaf spring shackles
  • Bilstein 5125 shocks
  • JKS swaybar disconnects
  • Rocky Road bar pin eliminator

I can't wait to test out my added flex!:yip: Here's a few driveway shots for now:

DSC07705_edited.jpg

DSC07706_edited.jpg

DSC07715_edited.jpg

First of all, with the exception of the SamCo shackles nothing is "designed" for the Hummer H3. All these parts are adapted to fit the H3. You can't just walk into 4 Wheel Parts and buy a rear flex mod kit. This mod is not my brainchild; I'm just a copycat. Kudos go to Sewie and IPE from HummerX for designing this mod. Here's the writeup from Offroad.com

Here's what you will need for parts:

- Leaf spring extended shackle:

I used the SamCo shackle, but others are using much cheaper parts made for Jeeps. The Jeep parts will require some modification to make work. The SamCo shackles work right out of the box. Personally, I think they look like they belong on a H3 more than the Jeep shackles. The extended shackle is what gives you your 1" - 1.5" rear lift.

SamCo H3 Shackle - $197​

Picture%20196.jpg

- Bilstein 5125 shocks part #BE56248H5

You can also use Rancho or Fox shocks, but I wanted a shock with the same valving and ride profile as my front Bilstein Cognitos. The Bilstein shock will require a bar pin eliminator for the top mount and the stock, bottom mount bolt will need to be replaced with a 1/2" x 3.5" bolt. The stock bolt is too large to fit inside the eye. I ordered from Amazon, but if you may be able to find them cheaper elsewhere.

Bilstein 5125
- 2 @ $82.40 each = $164.80

BILSTEIN_5125.jpg

- Bar Pin Eliminator (BPE) JKS #3100

I got these from Rocky Road and they were a cinch to install. Even though the website doesn't mention it, they come as a set of two, so only order one.

http://www.rocky-road.com/zjbarpin.html
- 1 set $22

bpe.jpg

- Sway bar disconnects

Once again, there is a range of products to choose from, but I went with the JKS disconnects since they are the beefiest, easiest to get on/off, they have grease zerks (lube points), and they seem to do a decent job of maintaining the stock angle and function of the sway bar.

JKS PN #3100 - $163.00 per set

JKS.JPG

Trekker

That Guy
I test drove the H3 with the rear flex mod and the ride was remarkable! The sway bar disconnects (which are longer than the stock links) held up fine in the corners at high speed. I was afraid it might drift a bit. A Hummer is the last vehicle I want to try drifting in. :eek: As expected, the Bilstein shocks in the rear perfectly matched the ride profile of the front Cognitos. I was doing 55+ down a dirt road and it felt like glass (Baja, here I come!).

So, here's the tricky part. When you remove the JKS sway bar discos, the sway bar flops down (I kinda figured that). What I didn't figure on was a solution for keeping my sway bar out of the way when I am wheeling. Most folks use zip ties or bungee cord. Zip ties defeat the purpose of having sway bar discos since they keep the sway bar pretty much static. I am concerned that bungees may fail too. When one side of the axle flexes down, the other side goes up, since it is a solid bar attached to the rear axle. I don't want the bungee on the side without tension to get wrapped around something.

Here's what I devised:

IMGP1166.JPG

These are just 9" EPDM rubber straps that I have removed the "S" hook and put a 1.125" brass ring on the ends. I plan on putting the rings over the sway bar mounting posts, then put the quick connect pins back on to retain the rings. The rubber straps will stretch safely up to 14". I'm thinking this will work better than bungee cords, since the rubber strap is solid, yet flexible.

I'm going wheeling this weekend, so I will test this out.

Trekker

That Guy
I tried out my flex mod at KS Rocks Recreation Park:

Here's one of the rear wheel fully stuffed
DSC07774_edited.jpg

... and extended
DSC07775_edited.jpg

all four on the ground :d
DSC07787_edited.jpg

sitting almost level
DSC07800_edited.jpg

Trekker

That Guy
DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yip:

I may have to do this mod now. I wonder if the fox shocks are long enough.

A couple questions:

* How's the on road handling, body roll in the conerns? any difference?

* Are your break lines/ abs lines close to getting torn out of their holsters or extended too far?

* WIll you rdriv eout to Denver to change mine out? :d

I'll try to answer your questions:

• Yes, I believe the Fox shocks will work -
    Fox 980-99-292-A - Ext: 24" Col: 16"
    Bilstein BE5-6248-H5 Ext: 25.93" Col: 15.91"
  • With the JKS quick disconnects, I have not noticed any significant body roll. However, it does ride higher so you do feel it in the corners at higher speed
  • I did pop to the ABS cables out of the anchor for more length
    160712082-L.jpg
  • Mmm, a trip to Denver...Tempting. Maybe I'll need to come wheel with you to test it out.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks good Trekker. Need to come to Moab and really see what it will do now. It has been too long since you made the "trek" to Moab.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Last edited:

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
I tried out my flex mod at KS Rocks Recreation Park:

Here's one of the rear wheel fully stuffed
DSC07774_edited.jpg

... and extended
DSC07775_edited.jpg

all four on the ground :d
DSC07787_edited.jpg

sitting almost level
DSC07800_edited.jpg

HOLY ****ING MOTHER OF GOD!! :whaa: :no: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Trekker

That Guy
Looks good Trekker. Need to come to Moab and really see what it will do now. It has been too long since you made the "trek" to Moab.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I know, we haven't been there since Spring '09. The Mrs. and I are planning on bringing the H2 this coming Spring for Blacksheep Week.