• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Fit4Duty's XJ Build

Fit4Duty

Since I made the decision to return the H3 when the lease is up, I went on the hunt for a suitable replacement that I could build. I decided on a 1999 Jeep Cherokee (XJ). Being that I will still want to do some runs with the Hummer guys when I can, I figured I should stick around here on the new forum and update y'all on my progress.

This is a couple shots of the XJ the day I bought it.
IMG_20111002_145404.jpg

IMG_20111002_145507.jpg

Fit4Duty

It has been about a month since I purchased the XJ and we decided we wanted to do some camping and hit a couple trails near Sedona. So I figured I better protect the underside and body and get me some better traction.

So I added the POWERTRAX No-Slip Traction System to the front Dana 30 and the rear Chrysler 8.25. I didn't take any pictures of the install, but here is a picture of what I removed.
Stuff%20019.JPG

Then I added some undercarriage protection...
Stuff%20014.JPG

Along with some rock slider too...
Stuff%20017.JPG

Stuff%20018.JPG

Fit4Duty

Then a good friend of mine said he could get me one of them PowerAid throttle body spacers for the 4.0 liter engine. All I would have to do is give him some feedback on how I felt it works. So I decided why not. I'll put it on and see if my fuel economy moves one way or the other and see if it feels any different. I don't think that it will do anything at all, probably will decrease my fuel economy. :roll:

BEFORE:
Stuff 009.JPG

AFTER:
Stuff 013.JPG

Flash

Always liked Jeeps and hoped to have one one day. Then GM made Hummers and ultimately the H3 and the rest is history. I am always interested in how others "tweak" their trucks for offroad use and appreciate your photos.

Fit4Duty

So then went to Sedona via Schnebly Hill Road and the "Hot Loop" that the Jeep tours do along with Broken Arrow. Its so much fun listening to the tires squeal on the rocks up there when your fully locked.

Here are a few shots of the trip....

Looking down on Sedona from one of the overlooks on the "Hot Loop".
Stuff%2520009.JPG

Climbing some rock thing on Broken Arrow..
Stuff%2520014%2520-%2520Copy.jpg

This shot was on Soldier's Pass near the cave in area....
Stuff%2520023.JPG

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Since I made the decision to return the H3 when the lease is up, I went on the hunt for a suitable replacement that I could build. I decided on a 1999 Jeep Cherokee (XJ). Being that I will still want to do some runs with the Hummer guys when I can, I figured I should stick around here on the new forum and update y'all on my progress.

Congrats & nice rig Greg! :cheers: Also, glad to see that it's well on its way to being trail-ready (wouldn't expect anything less after seeing your H3 Aplha up close - even after you'd taken the BA bumper and Gobi off of it). Definitely hope you stick around here, update your build thread, offer up your expertise/offroad experience & that you join us the next time we hit the trails or let us know the next time you plan to do so & a couple of us will join you.

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
...looking forward to your build. ...quite a few built XJ's in our local club(s). They are great platforms for building and the aftermarket supports them well.
Thanks for sharing!

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
Nice. XJ's are real common around my area. I'm constantly pulling them out of the mud holes. :wink:

But really, it's always fun to watch build threads regardless of vehicle. I'm glad you're sticking around! :cheers:

Fit4Duty

Looking good. What else do you have planned?

I do have quite a bit more planned for the very near future. The XJ is sitting on about a 2 inch lift right now and 31" tires. I have pieced together a kit for a 4.5" lift along with some bigger tire.

The following I will be installing this coming weekend:
  • 4.5" lift coil springs for the front - 150 in/lb spring rate.
  • Tubular front upper and lower control arms.
  • Adjustable track bar
  • Quick Disconnect for Sway Bar
  • 3.5" lift rear leaf springs
  • 1" lift shackles
  • Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit for Transfer Case and new extended drive shaft
  • 33x12.50x15 Pro-Comp Xterrain Tires
  • Fuel tank skid
Additional future mods:
  • 4.11 Ring and Pinion gears
  • Defender roof rack 6.5' x 4.5'
  • jcroffroad rear bumper with swing out tire carrier
  • jcroffroad front winch bumper
  • Ramsey 8000lb winch
  • CB Radio
  • Lowrance HDS-5 Baja GPS
  • Refrigerator and rear storage drawers
Greg, thanks for posting the build progress. Hope we can go wheeling soon.

Alex.. Look forward to running some trails with y'all again real soon. It's gonna take me another month or so to get what I really need done to the XJ.

M

MUTAINT

Love the XJ platform! Easy to mod and upgrade to achieve a great wheeler and still have all of the creature comforts of a fully enclosed SUV.
JCR bumpers are great, you will love the rear bumper with tire carrier! I can't find a picture of it installed right now.

The build sounds very close to what we did. The only thing I changed after the initial build was to install better shocks with longer travel, some custom rear bumpstop extensions so the 33s would not hit the Bushwaskers and RCX Control Arm Drop Kit (due to the horrible ride). We went the 3 1/2" spring lift up front and added a 1 1/2" spring spacer. Then the 3 1/2" rear springs but with the 1 1/2" shackles. Great flex even with the sway bars still connected. Incredible flex once the sway bars are disconnected. Pretty decent on road ride due to using the Control Arm Drop Kit and Upgraded shocks.

Here are some pix of our XJ.

2008_05240003.jpg

2008_05260027.jpg

2008_05260022.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Nice XJ fit4duty. I too am excited to see this build after seeing the H3A you built. I wheel with quite a few of nicely built up XJ's and I know they like rustys offroad products and genright used a local XJ I wheel with as a prototype for new parts and I think they did a really nice gas tank skid.

Fit4Duty

That is one nice looking XJ.

Thanks for providing your experience with lifting your XJ. I hadn't quite decided about the control arm drop kit yet, but it sounds like it is worth considering. I was also concerned about the tires rubbing on the bushwacker flares even after trimming without the use of properly sized bump stops. I will have to ensure I size them correctly.

Love the XJ platform! Easy to mod and upgrade to achieve a great wheeler and still have all of the creature comforts of a fully enclosed SUV.
JCR bumpers are great, you will love the rear bumper with tire carrier! I can't find a picture of it installed right now.

The build sounds very close to what we did. The only thing I changed after the initial build was to install better shocks with longer travel, some custom rear bumpstop extensions so the 33s would not hit the Bushwaskers and RCX Control Arm Drop Kit (due to the horrible ride). We went the 3 1/2" spring lift up front and added a 1 1/2" spring spacer. Then the 3 1/2" rear springs but with the 1 1/2" shackles. Great flex even with the sway bars still connected. Incredible flex once the sway bars are disconnected. Pretty decent on road ride due to using the Control Arm Drop Kit and Upgraded shocks.

M

MUTAINT

Thanks, Once my main computer gets fixed or it stops raining I'll take some pix of the bumpstops and PM them to ya! The Bushwacker install wasn't hard but cutting your rigs fenders with a sawsall is a little intimidating. After the first one is done it's not so bad. Like your first scrape while wheeling! I highly recommend the Tomken Gas Tank Skid.

http://www.tomken.com/catalog.php?search=terms=&model=XJ&year=2001&cat=skidplates
You can find it cheeper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fit4Duty

I do have quite a bit more planned for the very near future. The XJ is sitting on about a 2 inch lift right now and 31" tires. I have pieced together a kit for a 4.5" lift along with some bigger tire.

The following has been installed:
  • Rusty's - 4.5" lift coil springs for the front - 150 in/lb spring rate.
  • Rusty's - Tubular front upper and lower control arms.
  • Rusty's - Adjustable track bar
  • Quick Disconnect for Sway Bar
  • Rusty's - 3.5" lift rear leaf springs
  • Rusty's - 1.5" lift shackles
  • Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit for Transfer Case and new extended drive shaft
  • Rusty's - Fuel tank skid
  • Procomp Xterrain 33 x 12.50 x 15 Tires

• Rock Crawler Series 152 Street Lock Wheels 15 x 8 with 3.75" backspacing
  • Smittybilt winch bumper
  • Smittybilt XRC-8 Comp Series winch
  • ARB Roof Rack
  • CB Radio
  • Lowrance HDS-5 Baja GPS - Dash Mounted
  • Refrigerator
  • Swapped the painted grill for black
  • Swapped the turn park and signal lamps for clear
Updated future mods:

• 4.56 Ring and Pinion gears
  • ARB 868 lights for the roof rack
  • Grand Cherokee V8 Tie Rods
  • Smittybilt rear bumper with swing out tire carrier
  • Rear cargo area storage drawers

I updated the above list to reflect what I actually got done...

P1020798.JPG

P1020797.JPG

Just about ready for Moab at the end of the month. Got just a couple more things to do by then. Going to add some ARB 868 lights to the roof rack, 4.56 ring and pinions front and rear and swap out the tie rods for v8 grand cherokee parts..

-G

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Looks great. I like the flares - too often it seems like XJ owners just cut and leave that area unfinished.