• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hunner sound insulation

Hunner

This is just a mini mod but maybe one worth considering.
After all the hours I spent in the H3 going to Yellowstone and back I decided to try this.
I removed the rear seats to pack in my bags down low and put my soft items on top of that. I still had a lot of ambient noise from the tires and different road surfaces that over time finally got to me. I know my hearing has degraded but hearing cell calls was difficult at times. Onstar phone thru stereo was lots better.
I thought I would try to bring the Hum in my Hummer down a bit.
Not really wanting to spend the money for dynamat I tried some Frost King self adhesive foil and foam.
12 inch wide roll 1/8 thick 15 feet long. It was almost enough in one roll but I bought two not knowing how this would work. Doing it in stages as a test I only put one layer in there to see what it did. I have enough to probably cover most of the area I did again. I want to make sure the seats fit ok and not misalign seat belts or child seat connections for my grandaughter. I leave the single seat in for her "throne" but you have to also leave in the entire cross piece for the wider seat to avoid cutting anything. It was about $36 dollars for both rolls.
I will make a test run but without all the other stuff I had it will be hard to know the actual overall difference.
I have everything out of there to go weigh and see what my starting point is. I'm still working on that.
I guess the next thing would be another layer and maybe, put some in the rear doors but I hate those dang plastic clips that always seem to break when you mess with them.
I covered all of the painted white area. It conforms well and the stiff foil holds it's shape. Adhesive seems aggressive enough. I did remove the two plastic door threshold pieces to pull up the carpet and get the foil under there.
DAH_2829.jpg

DAH_2830.jpg

That worked well enough I can now tell there is a lot of "road noise" coming from the rear hatch door. So I covered all of the inside of that, three strips behind that wonderful jack and the entire back of the removable access panel.
I think it was worth a little effort and less that $40 dollars.

Last edited:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
When we pulled everything apart for my build, first thing that came to mind was sound dampening. I went ahead and Dynamated the whole truck. Now it feels like I'm driving in a luxury car. :D It's well worth it, and you more affordable alternative is probably just as good.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Hunner

It was one of those, do it now while everything is out mods. How much is dynomat? I figured I would have to buy that next week at a auto stereo shop and went with this stuff. Two layers may work better. I had noticed they left cut outs around the seat mounting bolts so I was concerned about too much in that area that might not let the seats mount correctly. I will try to get my single seat in today and see how that effects anything. I bet I can get two layers in there at some point.
If I can figure out how to remove those side panels in the rear without breaking tabs, I'm thinking some noise is coming from there and resonating, if the inside of the body panels are bare metal.
I'm thinking maybe undercoat of bed liner just on the painted surfaces under here would help. I want this thing to last.
_DSC1880.jpg

Might make the sub sound better also. I don't crank the bass much, in fact somewhere around +2 or -2 for my music.
Just staying busy, I'm having road withdrawals and looking for my next mission.
I'm going to lay out my crap on tables today and see just what I have accumulated that added to the weight.
Hey Recon, have you ever weighed your rig?

Last edited:

Hunner

Gotta be a CAT scale at a truck stop out there. Just be sure to get the whole thing on the first scale plate. Costs $9.50.

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
The spray foam insulation like this:

images

Has worked well for me in the past for areas that you can fill and not have to worry about moving parts.

Hunner

All that worked well. The "cheap" stuff fit well in all the uneven tight areas. I put the rest of the second roll over some of the first next to the doors. I found you could buy a smaller package of real Dynamat that is for two doors. It was enough to hit the larger areas with a layer. I was going to stick it down under the rear storage area but realized that mat is under the side panels. There are air bags right by the seat belt harness bolts and I decided to die another day. All though some efficiency may be lost I just slid two full width sheets and about a half wide one under the mat.
I would really like to remove those panels and stick some on the fender wells. Maybe later.
You get 4 sheets this size and a autographed picture of Chip Foose.:roll:
DAH_3028.jpg

DAH_3119.jpg

Last edited: