• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

SAS Spy Photos....

4speedfunk

If you want to see what a semi-complete SAS kit looks like...

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

This kit is still missing: Shocks, pitman arm, frame plates, and steering box reinforcement plates. Other than that...this is pretty much everything you need. Its a high-pinion Dana 44 with .500" wall tubes, Yukon shafts, 5.13s, Eaton E-locker, THORparts H3 brake adapters, Spicer HD yoke, GM 1-ton steering, and ram-assist. Shown in the last photo is the steering system: Nissan Xterra box, hoses and adapters to mate up to the H3 pump, tube sleeves for the frame rail, and extended front and rear brake lines (this same H3 is getting a spring-over and matching 5.13s in the rear). I consider this build to be toward the high-end of the spectrum, and this axle has all the bells & whistles. But, this same basic kit can be done with a stock GM low-pinion Dana 44 from any 70s-80s GM truck, for considerably less money (aka Squeaky).

This kit is going to a fellow H4O member (you know who you are). Come and get it.

Attachments

• THORparts SAS kit-01.jpg
    THORparts SAS kit-01.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 1,875
  • THORparts SAS kit-02.jpg
    THORparts SAS kit-02.jpg
    565.2 KB · Views: 1,965
  • THORparts SAS kit-03.jpg
    THORparts SAS kit-03.jpg
    549.6 KB · Views: 1,712
  • THORparts SAS kit-04.jpg
    THORparts SAS kit-04.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 2,170
  • THORparts SAS kit-05.jpg
    THORparts SAS kit-05.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 1,627
  • THORparts SAS kit-06.jpg
    THORparts SAS kit-06.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 2,072
  • THORparts SAS kit-07.jpg
    THORparts SAS kit-07.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 1,668
  • THORparts SAS kit-08.jpg
    THORparts SAS kit-08.jpg
    610.6 KB · Views: 1,514
Last edited:

hockeymanam

Its people like you making incredible stuff like this that keeps me holding on to my H3 until i can afford to do this to it!!! Awesome stuff

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Badass CJ. I know who it is but won't mention his name but please let me know how you like those coil springs mystery man or women lol I've been contemplating trying out those synergy coils but the rear jk ones instead of the front. My brother runs em he loves em.

Anyways badass!

4speedfunk

Price for this kit would be quite large...mostly due to the axle itself. Brand new, shiny parts add up quick:

The custom HP housing is around $800.
The Eaton E-locker and gears are $1000.
The Yukon shafts are $700.
Bearings, Hubs, and brakes another $800.
Flat-top knuckle & steering arm $200
3-link brackets....$250
Rock cover...$100
Ball joints....$200
Misc. other axle stuff....$300

It doesn't take long to hit the $4K mark when you build an axle from scratch. And we haven't even talked about 3-link parts, steering system, springs, shocks, driveshaft, and whatever you plan to do to the rear end of the truck. If you just opened up a catalog or jumped on the internet with a charge card, I would estimate around $7K for everything you see here. That's why I recommend finding a built one to start with...it keeps you from getting nickel and dime'd to death. This customer (gfbh3t) scored several high-dollar parts second hand from another Dana 44 that someone had built and decided to sell for cheap, and this saved him substantial money. 06H3 did the same thing...scored a nice D44 from some guy that was bailing out on his build.

If you have a tight budget...just grab any GM D44 off Craigslist and re-gear it to 4.56. This will match the stock rear gears, and save you the expense of the rear-end work. You will still need all the supporting stuff like shocks, 3-link, and steering system but the axle itself can be done for very little. You can build a nice, usable low-pinion D44 for under $500 if you're are patient and look for deals. Long story short...I think the cheapest you can do the entire SAS for is around $3500. That's an open diff, stock shafts, low-pin, 4.56-geared, no-frills build. I've got a couple of these low-buck axles in the works right now.

Labor? Probably ought to sit down for that one. Its not that difficult...its just huge. Its a big project that involves pretty much every aspect of fabrication, and it can be quite daunting to a novice. Lots of cutting, welding, sparks in the face, cuts on the hands, etc. All of us saw 06H3 do his in real time right here on H4O. That guy worked day & night, outside in a driveway, to get it done. Just goes to show that if you want it bad enough...you can do it.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I would love a brand new axle build hi pin and the works but money didnt allow it. I felt I didnt go super low buck but I definitely didnt go all out. I waited to find a built axle, he had 2k into it I got it for 1k. I then bought parts slowly; I bought used parts in good condition. I went all over pirate looking for deals. I used my brothers old JK coils they didnt work I bought some bronco ones but I am still getting other coils. I tried to do what was necessary. I didnt do ram assist, I am doing regular bumpstops I have regular bilstein shocks but you know what! The bulk of the work is done. Now when money allows I will upgrade the bilsteins to king or fox. I will add ram assist, I will add air bumps to help with high speed wheeling. Build within your budget and upgrade later. Thats much more do able. Get the bulk outta the way.

It was my first SAS. Im a noob. I will gladly share any info. Plenty of times I said ****, how do I do that? For example, I had no idea where to get steering adapters with the help of 4speed, some online sites like summit, jegs and going to napa I got em. I listed them online for the world to see. Its totally do able and when your done you can proudly say yea, I built that!

Ride quality is good. It was great before with the JK coils minus body roll. Bronco coils were good at first then the "coil clapping" ended up being a ****ed up shock that needs to be warrantied. I wouldnt question ride quality. Now I gotta add a sway bar. Either way hop on board the SAS train. You wont regret it the drivability with 5.13s is awesome. I cant wait to hit the trails and show some real flexy pics. I hope I will in the next few weeks. Its gonna be badass.

kilroy

Recon's right, BADASS!!, What though is the streetability of the hydraulic steering? I'd imagine it varies by locale.

4speedfunk

I hope I'm living on a boat in the Caribbean in 5 to 7.

THORparts has slowly morphed into a real job, and it now dominates my man cave. Five years ago, it was just my bikes and my muscle car. I would crank up some jazz, pour a glass of scotch and polish & tinker on my toys. Nowdays it's jammed with piles of boxes, pallets, bumpers, axles, and Dana parts. I'm afraid I have no exit strategy. Pics of the THORparts shop just added...

Axle rack with numerous D44 in various stages of completion...
attachment.php

Bumpers & other Hummer parts...
attachment.php

Bench full of spindles, steering arms, hubs, and a 4:1 t-case...
attachment.php

My Ford F-250 HP D44 for my Suburban SAS project...
attachment.php

My 69 Impailer...cruised about 50 miles in it last night. Most fun you can have with your pants on!...
attachment.php

Attachments

• axle rack.jpg
    axle rack.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 614
  • hummer parts.jpg
    hummer parts.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 607
  • pile o spindles.jpg
    pile o spindles.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 606
  • burban axle.jpg
    burban axle.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 614
  • 69 impala.jpg
    69 impala.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 611
Last edited:

Woodtick

I like the oil catch pan under the HD:corn:. The sail boat is a dream of mine as well. It's looking more like a row boat retirement though.

Hunner

Looks good, for those with the energy. ha ha

The Northern and Eastern Gulf of American ain't bad either and your still in America!!

Go for it but don't wait too long, I was 48 when I took my sailabout.

After two days of installing shocks and re-installing shock plates and skids, I realized at 65 somethings are harder.

Trimming sails has gotten a bit tougher in 20-30 knot winds also.

You will have to put up with weird colors, and sometimes the wind won't blow.
It's a tough job but ya'll can probably adapt! lol

4speedfunk

So true Hunner! My biggest fear is that I will be one of those old farts that sits around and talks about all the stuff he should've done when he had the chance.

Woodtick

The toy I miss the most is the Hobie16' cat I sold. The most fun you can have with out a engine. I think I need to start prepping the wife with the sail boat idea. Wish me luck.

Hunner

So true Hunner! My biggest fear is that I will be one of those old farts that sits around and talks about all the stuff he should've done when he had the chance.

I think you are already waaay above the curve!

I'm going to talk about waaay back in 98. Time marches on......

That is some fine equipment you assembled. Goodonya.

If I can get this air lift kit on without blowing something up, that will be my overlanding/boat towing revival.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

This thing will droop to hell and back! I couldnt find a big enough rut to fully flex it out. I still had about 3in of shock shaft showing for uptravel. (my bumps will bottom out right before the shock does) and still had more droop in the shock.