• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hummer traversing angles

Sennin

So what is the steepest angles the Hummer H3 can safely do :giggle:

I know that the brochure states that it can do a 60% grade with traction only on one wheel ....

but what about if 3 or 4 wheels have traction :wink:

At one of our local 4x4 tracks, there is a nice rock obstacle and the angle is guestimated/thumb sucked to be around 44.7 degrees or > 100% slope

images

This is me at that rock

attachment.php

attachment.php

Unfortunately I didn't overcome the obstacle, as my tire pressure was at 1.5 Bar so I just spun tyres. Also it was the first obstacle I attempted for the day, so the nurves was a bit much. But I will definately go and concour it one of thee days :wink:.

Will upload a video of my attempt as soon as I find it .....

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Good luck conquering the hill! To be honest I am not sure what we can safely climb. Alot comes into play. When at the point of rolling over things like ride height, weight distribution, how hard your on the gas pedal, terrain etc. Sometimes certain things will help you avoid roll over and sometimes that same exact thing can hurt you in a different scenario. Luckily for me, The built in pucker factor usually kicks in before I am about to roll.

Sennin

Good luck conquering the hill! To be honest I am not sure what we can safely climb. Alot comes into play. When at the point of rolling over things like ride height, weight distribution, how hard your on the gas pedal, terrain etc. Sometimes certain things will help you avoid roll over and sometimes that same exact thing can hurt you in a different scenario. Luckily for me, The built in pucker factor usually kicks in before I am about to roll.

Thats true :) the only problem with the built in pucker factor is that it adapts as your experiences evolve .... even when just doing small obstacles/stints..

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
The static coefficient of friction of tires on dry pavement is in the 0.7 to 0.9 range see :link: . By airing down you might be able to increase that but it is impossible to exceed 1.0 without using special materials (like velcro). At a coefficient of 1.0 the maximum slope you could climb, assuming the sloped surface it is longer than your wheelbase, would be 45 degrees. Anybody that claims they can climb more than a 45 degree slope is violating the laws of physics.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Nice reply mike. Good info. Sennin nice pics too, you seem pretty off camber there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk