• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

what next

digglesworth

So where we going next.... I'm itching to get back out in the dirt. I just picked up a new tent so I'm ready for a campin and wheelin weekend soon. Gotta work into the d@mn work schedule though.

4speedfunk

Land-Between-The-Lakes (western Kentucky) info...

Camp-wheeling is awesome in the LBL. The whole place sort of caters to expedition rigs. You can purchase a back-country pass that will allow you basically camp anywhere on the island...around $20/week. There are countless fire trails that criss-cross the island and there is always one or two secluded camp spots where they end at the water's edge. These spots are rarely taken, even on Labor Day...traditionally a busy time. You will need to be fully self-sufficient as there are zero amenities in the back-country. The trails are not hard-core but they commonly get rutted, flooded, and blocked by fallen trees. The terrain is deeply wooded with a few steep (but small) ravines. The only people you will see are Jeepers, horseback riders, and the occasional boater that anchors nearby for a swim.

If you need more comfort...there are also numerous "primitive" campgrounds. These areas are usually 10-30 campsites, a nicely maintained pit toilet, mowed & graveled tent sites, and a water spigot. These areas are first-come, first-serve and you pay via the honor system. There is a pay station where you fill out a form and pay something like $10/night. These are supposed to be tent-only but I do see small RV's from time to time. There are no hook-ups, so the RV crowd usually stays away. My wife & I typically stake our claim at one of these...unhitch the trailer and gear...go exploring all day...then return at night to our site. Most of the time there are one or two other campers.

If you need even more comfort....there are three or four "major" campgrounds. These areas are usually 40-300 campsites, and they are divided into RV and tent areas. These are like sub-divisions...they have shower houses, real toilets, fire-wood, ice, camp stores, and all the stuff I personally hate about organized camping (screaming kids, passers-by, street lamps, and of course...GENERATORS!!!). If you need a hot shower...these are the places to stay. The large campgrounds (Hillman Ferry & Energy Lake) take online reservations via the US Forest Service. Beware...their booking system is a total cluster-f**k and I recommend calling via phone to book, or just show up in person. I think a primitive site runs around $24/night.

Turkey Bay is of course...the hard-core offroad area. It is much like the Badlands but without any dunes. This is the only place where quads, side-by-sides, and dirt bikes are allowed...and you will be the minority in a licensed vehicle. You can camp inside Turkey Bay, although I never have. Check ahead for fees, rules, and services...not sure if flags are required, or if they have air available.

There are many cabin rentals available around the entire perimeter of the area...but none on the island itself. So, if you want to stay on the outer shores...plan for an hour to commute to/from the island. There are also boat rentals, a buffalo park (drive-thru), and some other minor points of interest. NO RESTAURANTS ANYWHERE ON THE ISLAND. NO BOOZE (DRY COUNTIES ALL AROUND). NO FUEL. The nearest civilization is Grand Rivers, KY on the north end. I STRONGLY recommend bringing your own spirits and camp food...and make sure to gas-up before you enter. Its a very big deal to re-stock after you enter...the nearest store can take hours to reach. There is a camp store at Hillman Ferry but, it is limited and pricey. Firewood is available (and affordable) at several places, and there are restrictions in place regarding bringing your own firewood, due to an ash-bore beetle problem.

http://www.landbetweenthelakes.com/
http://www.kentuckylake.com/lbl/turkeybay.shtml

digglesworth

Thanks CJ. I looked into that a little last year. I'm definitely ok being self sufficient. I watched some videos on turkey bay and it looks like a cool place. I'm trying to plan a weeklong vacation.. i was gonna take my daughter up to yellowstone and the tetons but I don't know if that's gonna happen this year. May be cool to spend 4-5 days relaxin by the lake.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I would love to set up an excursion to land between the lakes and do more of an expedition type trip. Actually plan it out, length, gear etc versus a drive to the badlands (which is like 30 min for me). I think spending a few days camping/swimming(shower)/and driving around would be cool. There are a couple of mods i want to do before that but I think if we set it up it would be great.

digglesworth

I was talking to CJ about it yesterday. I think we can put this together. I just gotta have enough time to take some time off work. How's beginning of august sound to you guys.

ffmf2101

As far as the southeast Ky run goes, I can assure you that it would be a wonderful trip as this is some of the land I grew up on!

digglesworth

I'm looking at setting up my tablet in the truck for navigation. I could download the map and he's got a lot of resources marked. Gas doesn't look too scarce...

SkidRow

Sorry I've been away for a while. It's not looking good for me to make this now. If I do go it will be a last minute thing.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I'm looking at setting up my tablet in the truck for navigation. I could download the map and he's got a lot of resources marked. Gas doesn't look too scarce...
Yea if we can get atleast one guy with the maps all sorted out that would be a huge plus. I don't have the GPS technology for it.

Looking at my work schedule, I am pretty much booked solid till mid september,and even then I would have to take vacation time to make this work. I can't really agree to anything until we get a set date, oh and I get 35's haha

digglesworth

That guy provides all the tracks to download so I could upload them into backcountry navigator and go off that. We could get paper maps as a backup. Actually the end of sept would be great. I'll be doing a run with the local club aug 30th. Late Oct is their hallowheelin event so I have a gap in sept. You should invest in a cb for sure too...

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
That guy provides all the tracks to download so I could upload them into backcountry navigator and go off that. We could get paper maps as a backup. Actually the end of sept would be great. I'll be doing a run with the local club aug 30th. Late Oct is their hallowheelin event so I have a gap in sept. You should invest in a cb for sure too...
Already got the CB lol there are just a couple of things I need to fix/acquire for peace of mind

digglesworth

Not too bad of a list. I gotta get my winch in too. It's just sitting here looking all pretty. Lol. Waiting on my body lift to come in to give me a tad more clearance for the control box to stay where it is. Gonna re-mount my cb antenna and tune that. And the best thing of all........ Wait for it..... The 4:1 t-case swap. I hope to have all this done by mid august...

4speedfunk

Gotta get the LR quarter window replaced, pound out the dent, and fix the RF spring bucket. That's all mandatory. Then I would really like to jump on my sway-bar installation, and get this ram assist figured out before I kill myself (or some one else). A new winch would be nice too (jealous).

I could probably make a run down to LBL....Septmeber-ish?

digglesworth

I think we should try and put together an expedition-ish type trip together. Weather we do the KAT route or cruise around LBL. I think a self-sufficient multi-day trip would be awesome!!!

SkidRow

Gotta get the LR quarter window replaced, pound out the dent, and fix the RF spring bucket. That's all mandatory. Then I would really like to jump on my sway-bar installation, and get this ram assist figured out before I kill myself (or some one else). A new winch would be nice too (jealous).

I could probably make a run down to LBL....Septmeber-ish?
What are you running for a sway bar right now? I thought I saw an ANTIROCK on there.

Peep

You can all come down and stay at my place and do some jungle 4x4 ;0)

caution on rum is cheaper than coke mix here.