• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Fun G wagen project

High Five H2

My wife wants to get something for off roading, and I was doing some researching on G wagens the other day. 3 locking differentials, overbuilt, front and rear solid axles that are supposedly about as strong as dana 60s... holy crap that's a rad platform.

There's a company called Tibus that makes bolt on portal axles for the G wagen and hutchinson makes beadlock rims. Slap those on and some 35s or 37s if you're feeling crazy, and done.

It would be a really high dollar build, but datgum it would be cool and super capable.

makes me want to get some locking differentials, but more than that, like 7 or 9. :wink:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
I have a ton of experience with the G Wagens. They are built better than most 4x4s, but their CVs are no stronger than a Toyota axle. They can't handle anything bigger than a 35. If you can find an older, per-electronics version, they're good for life. As much as the diesels sound appealing, they're underpowered for such a heavy vehicle. Only the GD400 is worth it.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

autumn walker

We have guy locally that wheels a G Wagen regularly. It's an older (non-electronics) diesel. He has 36" Military Michelins on it and it works real well. It's rather top heavy, but he isn't afraid of it.

2010H3TAlpha

I want to own/wheel one of these at some point. Rhino-line the whole thing and stick some duratracs on it, electronic exhaust dump on a v8 and go terrorize the malls. Now that'd be fun!

Diode Dynamics

LED Lighting Experts
What about a Defender???

land-rover-defender-_600x0w.jpg

Nick C.

High Five H2

i love defenders. I wish they would sell them here. they are unreliable, tho. I had a disco for a while and I couldn't keep that thing repaired. parts are expensive, mechanics are expensive, awful gas mileage. Lots of fun and very capable from the factory and pretty unique.

That's good to know about the G axles. The guys on MB forums seemed to think they would never break, but the shafts themselves weren't that thick and only had 26 splines. I was skeptical of the dana 60 equivalent claim.

either way, it would be very capable and super cool. also, very pricey. 2002-2004 - around there is about $30K .

atvspeed4

The newer G wagons are actually really nice. I drove a 2008 G63 amg around on the beach and it was impressive the amount of torque it had and how well the traction system worked. The CV issue is really easy to fix. RCV makes an upgrade for them. After I hit 100k miles on the range rover sport I will be looking at them again.

Kyle

i love defenders. I wish they would sell them here. they are unreliable, tho. I had a disco for a while and I couldn't keep that thing repaired. parts are expensive, mechanics are expensive, awful gas mileage. Lots of fun and very capable from the factory and pretty unique.

That's good to know about the G axles. The guys on MB forums seemed to think they would never break, but the shafts themselves weren't that thick and only had 26 splines. I was skeptical of the dana 60 equivalent claim.

either way, it would be very capable and super cool. also, very pricey. 2002-2004 - around there is about $30K .

2002-2004 for 30k??????? links??????? all the ones i have seen have 22 inch rims and are thugged out.

RamRod

Defenders were at the top of my want list.... until I owned one!

Mine was one of the oldest models but I had a mechanic tell me (after about the 4th time i took it in for major repairs) that if its not leaking any oil... its because its got none.

There is a G-wagon that lives around me and everytime we see it the GF says that's her next car...... excellent!

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
I was very tempted by those before I got the 3T, but when you've wanted a Hummer for a decade, you don't just go with a Benz.

Peep

Theirs Defenders all over Belize. When the British Army did a big replacement, they filled up huge barges and dumped their old defenders on Belize. So not the locals are using them to haul Kane and everything else. Really cheap here.

benlaud87

I spent some time in Africa and got to drive around countless diesel land cruisers and defenders. I miss those trucks

Steve #1

Can't remember if I have ever seen a G Wagen off road.

There were a couple back in the day that hung out with TX4X4 (mostly H1s and Unimogs) that I wheeld with a few times at Fort Hood. They were as capable as any of the typical Jeeps, Toyotas, Fords or Chevys.