• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Better route for coaxial wire???

southernhummerguy

Okay, I have a no ground plane cb antenna on the front driver's side fender and I've run the coaxial cable through the engine compartment. I was wondering if there was another way I could safely run the cable? I mainly want to cut out engine interference I occasionally encounter. I'm not sure how much I can really avoid it though :confused:?
I greatly appreciate the help :)!!!!!

southernhummerguy

Thanks! :thumbs:

I just noticed that I forget to mention that I get interference whenever I hit the brakes, so that would explain why.
I was hoping to run the cable through the door some how, but I'm not sure if it would be safe from getting pinched or cut. Any suggestions?

DJinCO

I have a Ham setup and my antenna is on the drivers side passenger door in a lip mount. I ran the coax under the rubber door seal, along the windshield rubber seal and into the door jam. Go through the rubber boot into the passenger compartment. That bundle of wires comes in behind (to the left of) the parking brake pedal. The easiest way is to use a stronger wire, tied to a string, tied to the coax. You will need to have a bare coax (meaning not with the connector) because it's kind of a tight fit.

Steve #1

Disconect the antenna from the radio and press the break. Do you still get the noise? If you do, it is not coming through the coax, but through the electrical system.

Griff22usmc

Needs a sponsor
Im doing the same set up. Question: is it okay to buddle the extra COAX? According to Firestik I should not trim down the COAX... Just wodering if the COAX will get interference bundled up together.

JGBB04

This from Firestik site & the same on Right Channel radios
http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/coaxtalk.htm
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/successful-cb-installation
"On that note, when you have 18' of coax going to a radio that is only 8' away, what should you do with the other 10'? We recommend that you serpentine it like a skein of yarn so that it is 10-14" long and tie it in the center with a wire tie then tuck it away. Do not roll it up in a tight circle as this can cause it to act like an RF choke, which often times will cause system problems."