• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Half Shaft Rebuild

h2eter

Probationary Member
Hey Guys,

Instead of spending a bunch of money buying 4 new half shafts, I'm attempting to rebuild my stock ones. I'm having one heck of a time finding part #'s for the internals (inner and outer cage, race and balls) since AM General lists them as non serviceable. I found this article on flashoffroad.com - http://www.flashoffroad.com/Maintenance/halfshaft/halfshaft.htm but Chuck that wrote the article does not specify if the Rockford part #'s listed are the correct internals for both the inner joints and outer joint. I know the boots are different which leads me to believe the internals of each joint will be different too. I contacted Rockford and they could not verify the correct parts. The only info they had were for the older style smaller and weaker half shaft Hummer used on the 93-94 trucks. Mine is a 98, so that won't help me. Stan at Rockford said it is very uncommon that the internals of both joints will be the same. I'm hoping someone out there has attempted to rebuild their stock half shafts and can help me with part #'s or even confirm if both joints look like they have the same size internals. If someone has a stock shaft, broken or not that they would be willing to take apart, even that would help me out. I just need to verify if what comes out of each joint looks the same. If I can get this info, I would be willing to post the correct part #'s after I rebuild my half shaft so that anyone in the future will have access to this information. I know there are guys out there that would love to rebuild a worn out half shaft and keep in their truck as a spare. Please someone help me out!

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:

Green 1

Matty Patty Pookie Bear
I did respond to your PM. I did not see this post first. When I rebuilt mine I actually took the inner and outer boots off and took them to a good auto parts store and was able to match them up. I did hear they were not as tear resistant as the originals but I have had no problems with them. It is not common to need to replace the internals unless the cage is broken or the balls are in bad shape. I will try to find the correct part numbers tomorrow. If you do need to replace everything it really is not any more work than replacing the boot replacement. I also included my cell number if you have any questions.