• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

AUX audio cord messed up...any solutions?

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Hey all!

I have an aftermarket AUX input going into my OEM nav head unit that allows me to play my iPod over the XM radio input via a hard line AUX cable (headphone jack).

Recently, the cable has become very finicky. If it is not twisted and contorted just so, it will not feed the sound properly and I'll only hear the left speakers, or the music will be extremely soft, or I'll just get static, et cetera. As it is, I have to spend a few minutes to get the cable in such a way that the music plays properly...then if I hit a bump or change the song, it just messes up all over again.

Does anyone have any sort of a quick fix for such a scenario?

Thanks!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I've seen that alot on other vehicles. Usually you need a new cable if it has frayed. Is this in the front of the headunit or back?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
It plugs into the back via some special adapter thingy. So, in other words, to replace it, I'd have to remove the head unit and pop the dash cover off...

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I havent dealt with any of those but heres my experience with the ports in the front. Alot of the cables are included with a headunit and arent the best quality and they go out overtime from just being used. My mom has a port for a cable from the factory and I got her a cable and it ended up doing exactly what your saying. I went to the apple store and got a higher quality cable. There havent been issues since. If the adapter has a port where you can plug any old cable in I would get a new one with some nicer qualities and you should never have the issue again. Its only a few bucks more and I am sure thats worth it in the long run seeing you dont have to pull the head unit, listen to bad quality music and buy another one. Maybe someone has some other ideas but from what I have seen its just the cable craps out.