• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hunner roof rack support

Hunner

I have noticed several others have gone with the Rola Rack. Some have seen that I really use mine!! I have been waiting on a sale and then availability of these cross rails. I just grabbed a spare set. I added a "third rail" just to add strength and less stress on the existing ones when loaded heavy for expeditions, which I hope to do soon when some other parts get here. Etrailer sells the extra mounting kits for the Rola rack. I like suppliers that sell replacement parts. Where is that brown truck?? I did do my clamp mod or adding a washer to the cam lock down foot.
DAH_2624.jpg

Last edited:

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Not a bad idea with the worthless, flexing and bending, factory roof racks. However, for a few hundred you can get something like the Yakima towers with steel cross bars that do not flex.:) (Of course a nice rack over the spare tire would help too.:giggle:)

Those factory aluminum bars, with a full load would allow the bottom of the roof rack clamp to scrape against the top of the roof. These steel cross bars from Yakima, do not flex at all!

roofrack.jpg

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I thought you liked that squeaking you had from the old cross bars, F5, so much so you kept it but moved it to the leaf springs :wink:

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
I spent about twenty minutes yesterday soaking those bushings in oil and greasing down the end of the leafs...noise gone. So on a search for some poly bushings to fit the springs....

As for the roof, squeak was one thing, the lack of paint is another....

Hunner

Hey F5 I have seen you mention those cross bars bending before. I don't know what the difference is in mine. Was that when you were hauling this container I bought from you?
How much weight could you get in there. 50 lbs of dog food? I put all my camping gear up there and it was ok. It was over towards the drivers side so I could reach to get stuff out.
Maybe with my Rola basket up there and clamped down that stiffened the cross bars. It contacts two cross pieces in the basket on either side of the cross bars.
DAH_2632.jpg

I have posted this before but I ran the Mojave and Death Valley trails with a spare 33 and camping gear up there with only two crossbars. In fact I drove loaded like that over 4000 miles. When I got the Hutchinsons and 35's I put two up there at 135 lbs a piece and the rails did not bend. Maybe you had too much weight right in the center?
Is that a Yakima basket also? That and the Rola look a lot alike. It's nice to know there is an alternative because the rails I have were hard to find this last time.
I will watch for any bending in the future.
DAH_5568.jpg

8707sh.jpg

DAH_8341.jpg

Last edited: