• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

changing front seats ?

ahana

hi everyone i am thinking about changing the front seats to one sportier and more space saving seats.i found out about the corbeau lg1 seat the vx2000 , and the baja xrs. is there any problem for changing them?will they look silly because of the space between the floor and the top seat mount? or do you think it will look good? any other seats you recomend? i live in the middle of nowhere so everything i learn is from you guys!

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
The problem with changing seats is finding an adapter that makes the seat you want compatible with your vehicle. There are universal adapters, but they tend to look very plain, and most of the time the seat is not adjustable without tools. Do proper research or find somebody that can fabricate the adapter. Good luck, and keep us posted on what you come up with. I'm sure there are others that have the same intentions.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

TrailBreaker

I have looked into changing my seats out as well, and here is what I ahve learned:

First the easy part, you can use the seat adapters for a Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon, they are the same mounting as our H3 seats. Dont let the company tell you otherwise, I know for sure they will work, its the same part number.

The hard part:
You will need to transfer the passenger seat occupancy sensor from the factory seat to the new seat, or get a new sensor for your new seat. It is an air type bladder that detect the presence of a person sitting in the seat. Also, you will need to remove the seat position sensor from the old seat frame, and reuse it on the new frame, that means some cutting and welding/or bolting it on. It is a metal tab that has a sensor mounted to the track, and it detects where your seat is located in relation to the airbag so the pesky computers know when/and how fast to deploy the airbag in the event of a crash.

While it is not totally impossible to make aftermarket seats work, it is a pain. I looked at those exact Corbeau seats, and the dimentions are close enough to the factory seats that I dont think they would look out of place at all.

Hope this helps.

erdlen65

I haven't changed my seats or plan on doing so but I have in other vehicles I've owned. When you use aftermarket seats sometimes you get lucky and you can remove the seat from the stock mounts and it works with the new ones. One part you really have to watch is seat belts, when I put racing seats in my Honda and mustang I ended up adding a roll bar to mount 5 point harnesses to. Imop if its a dd make sure you can re use stock seat belts. It's a pain in the a$$ putting a harness on just to run short distances

TrailBreaker

I haven't changed my seats or plan on doing so but I have in other vehicles I've owned. When you use aftermarket seats sometimes you get lucky and you can remove the seat from the stock mounts and it works with the new ones. One part you really have to watch is seat belts, when I put racing seats in my Honda and mustang I ended up adding a roll bar to mount 5 point harnesses to. Imop if its a dd make sure you can re use stock seat belts. It's a pain in the a$$ putting a harness on just to run short distances

Good point. The H3 latch side of the belt attaches to the seat, so yes, you would need to swap that over. Most of the companies I talked to either offered the seat with a hole already on the side of the frame to attach the buckle, or had it as an option.

Removing the stock seat tracks and trying to reuse them it way too much work in modern vehicles. Long gone are the days when the tracks bolted to the frames, now they are a combination of Huge rivets and welds.

erdlen65

Good point. The H3 latch side of the belt attaches to the seat, so yes, you would need to swap that over. Most of the companies I talked to either offered the seat with a hole already on the side of the frame to attach the buckle, or had it as an option.Removing the stock seat tracks and trying to reuse them it way too much work in modern vehicles. Long gone are the days when the tracks bolted to the frames, now they are a combination of Huge rivets and welds.
I should have added my mustang was a 87 lol and my Honda was a 95 neither one of them had wiring or anything connected and were not dd so I had time to mess around making everything work

Steve #1

I looked for seat rails back when I got my H3 and had no luck. I put it on the back burner and my Reacro Sport is sitting in my garage.

FYI having a seat with deep buckets on a tall vehicle can be painful for guys if you mis-aim just a hair when getting in. :whaa:

If you do go for it and go with a harness, Schroth has (or at least had) a 4 pt that uses the stock front lower mounts and the lower mounts for the rear seats. Not sure how that would work in the H3 but was fine in my Mustang and yes, they can be a PITA in a DD especilay if you are wearing a heavy jacket.