• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Got some work done over the weekend.....not much but its something

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
As some of you may know, I have been battling some health issues for about a year now. Anyways I was feeling a little better Saturday and had more energy then usual, so I decided to get a few things done on the H3. While its not much, with the health issues its more then I have done on the H3 in months.

First thing was simple, just airing up the tires so I could get rid of the low tire light. Its been on about a month or so due to change in temperature. I could of did it the easy way and driven it in the garage and use our twin Snapon compressors but I figured it would be more fun to use my portable ARB compressor.
DSCN0640.jpg

DSCN0642.jpg

DSCN0644.jpg

Plenty of air hose included in the kit, just enough length to air the spare also. The compress will be removed from the case and mounted under the hood once I get my ARB air locker installed.

Next I clean the brake dust off the wheels, as it has been building up over months. No pictures (not like anyone would wants pics of that :wink:) but you can see the wet spots on the ground in the next pictures . Simple Green ftw! This stuff is a great degreaser, don't have to worry about run off and no awful smells.

Last but not least, I got around to levelling the H3. Started out 22.5" hub to fender and I ended up with 23.75" hub to fender. Not quite level (as rear is 24.5") but it sure beats extreme drive line angles. As many have said, don't go over 24" and I would say 23.25-23.75" is a good safe range (although its still going to have more wear and tear then stock drive line angles).

Before
DSCN0650.jpg

After
DSCN0657.jpg

ahh, that is much better :wink:

Drive line angles
Before
DSCN0693.jpg

After
DSCN0673.jpg

Bump stops
Before
DSCN0698.jpg

After
DSCN0679.jpg

Going to drive it this week and let things settle. If I feel alright this weekend I will install my shocks and extended bump stops. If not, I will ask my father to help me out. Once they are installed, I will drive it a little more, adjust if needed and dad will do the alignment. Then maybe its time to start installing that pile of parts in my garage? :whaa:

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Nice solar. Sorry to hear about the health issues. Hope u get back to 100% soon. Btw the it looks great leveled

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Nacho

Now with Chese
Looking good. Im looking forward to seeing the color matched grill and clear signals.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
The rig is looking great Solar! Here's to your health and I Hope you continue to feel better. :cheers:

Hunner

I recommend NOT using any lube on those springs (bump stops). They can be crammed in there using a big screwdriver. If you just can't do it a little liquid soap applied could help but rinse it really good. When I built mine I sort of screwed them in while pushing with the screwdriver at the metal tabs. You don't want them popping out.
Looks good!
A little TLC on the Hummer should help you get well.

Ed's06h3

looks great leveled.........can't wait to see the other stuff you purchased installed..........sorry to hear about your health get better soon:thumbs:

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Looking good. Im looking forward to seeing the color matched grill and clear signals.
I am looking forward to getting them installed, along with all the other goodies. The paint to match grille still needs to be painted, just got to set up a date with the local Chevy dealer. Once the grille comes back I will install the clear turn signals at the same time, along with my brush guard. I also got OEM fender flares, OEM "export" clear side marker lights, OEM roof mounted off road lights, OEM rock rails, OEM UCP, OEM H3T steel wheels, ARB air locker, and I can't remember what else. Also got a Safari Snorkel on order :). Looking to pick up a set of tires for the steel wheels, just haven't decided on size or what kind yet. My next purchase is a Thorparts rear bumper. The only things left on my want to buy after that is a winch and some form of winch mount (DOI, CBPhoto, BA Bumper, Etc).

Hunner

You must have been a good boy this early before Christmas??
I will see if I can find my thread on installing that roof light kit and some things of note I discovered while doing it. The rivnut thing is sort of tedious and you need to make sure you use anti-seize on the screws that hold the assembly to those. You don't want them spinning when you remove the screws, which you have to do to replace the bulbs or have a windshield replaced.
I also think they waaay over stated the torque on those rivnuts. The roof starts to pucker waaay before you get to what is in the instructions.
Also forget the paper template. Place the assembly on the roof and adjust to where you want it. Too far forward and it glares on the windshield, too far back and it can get some lift but the new kits have a double sticky foam gasket included. It also looks better to line up with the corner mouldings already there.

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
You must have been a good boy this early before Christmas??
I will see if I can find my thread on installing that roof light kit and some things of note I discovered while doing it. The rivnut thing is sort of tedious and you need to make sure you use anti-seize on the screws that hold the assembly to those. You don't want them spinning when you remove the screws, which you have to do to replace the bulbs or have a windshield replaced.
I also think they waaay over stated the torque on those rivnuts. The roof starts to pucker waaay before you get to what is in the instructions.
Also forget the paper template. Place the assembly on the roof and adjust to where you want it. Too far forward and it glares on the windshield, too far back and it can get some lift but the new kits have a double sticky foam gasket included. It also looks better to line up with the corner mouldings already there.
Been collecting parts after I purchased the H3 almost a year ago but I haven't been feeling well enough to get any real work done. Thanks for the tips on the off road light install Hunner. I planned on using anti-seize on the bolts going into the rivet nuts as I have also heard horror stories about them.

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Looking good, Solarflare! Leveling the truck makes an aesthetic world of difference! :cheers:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
holy crap thats a lot of parts! It would be cool to buy parts and hold em all for one year and do it all at once but I dont think I could handle the excitement and wait that long

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
holy crap thats a lot of parts! It would be cool to buy parts and hold em all for one year and do it all at once but I dont think I could handle the excitement and wait that long
I would love to have installed it as it came in but unfortunately my energy level has been crap. I looked at it this way, I figured I might as well buy the parts as I have the money and have it all here and ready to install when I feel better.