• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

UPDATED! AZ-Charouleau Gap - Sat Jan 11

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Time to hit up Charouleau Gap again. The trail starts in Oracle, AZ and ends up on the outskirts of Tucson. Running it in winter is the best time of year as it tends to have the most water in it, making it the most fun. The deepest spot, the Car Wash, can be bypassed if necessary.

This is a medium-hard trail featuring several rock gardens but adventurous rookies can do this trail. There's an optional obstacle, the Wall, that is a good lunch spot and fun place for a few vehicles to try this obstacle. This is a full day of wheeling and temperatures could be in the 70s or the 30s. The Forest Service did some demolition on this trail a couple of years ago and while they won that battle I believe Mother Nature is winning the war, and the trail is restoring itself.

A Zip file of GPS coordinates and a Google Earth KML file is attached.View attachment Charouleau Gap.zip

Phoenix meeting place:
7 am. Starbucks at Greenfield Rd and US 60. Coming from Phx, turn right off of exit, immediately turn left and cut through QT gas station. Recommend topping off at QT, then (if necessary) filling up after the trail. :link:

Oracle meeting place
We will be in Oracle about 9 am and will regroup at the Circle K, 2000 W American Ave, Oracle, AZ :link:

We should be off the trail around 4:00-5:00 if no issues come up. But don't promise to be home for dinner
Stock Hummers can do this trail.

Requirements
No nerf/step bars
Food, water for the day

Recommendations
UCP and rocker protection
Trail spares
Tools
Decent quality tires
Not worrying about minor brush scratches. Rock rash on the wheels is somewhat common.

Attendees:
Me
Jason
Bigunit
Reloader
Crawler (maybe)
The Scorpion guy

Last edited:

LoJac963

I'd love to meet some of you guys but I'm going back to school against my better judgment in November so I'm going to be pretty tied up with that nonsense.....

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
We're still on for this Saturday! Looking like the weather will be clear with lows in the upper 30s and highs around 60. It can get chilly on the trail in the shade so bring appropriate clothing and a change of shoes in case you dunk them in one of the crossings.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Not sure I'll be able to make it as I haven't even started changing out the 33's with the 35" KM2s. Running out of time. If I don't get them on, I'm out!

Attachments

• grease gun image.jpg
    grease gun image.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I'm sure that grease gun will help you with the tires. Or perhaps you can convince some Girl Scouts to lend you a hand and show you how it's done

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Alex, get your mind out of the gutter. You associate grease guns with Girl Scouts and lending a hand showing how it's done. I don't know how to respond to that one!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapataint

Last edited:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Alex, please let me know if you get any replies! I have work for these people.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
LMAO! Zack, we will see you Saturday I assume unless you don't have time to put that skid plate on?

Last edited:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
I have to admit Alex- that is indeed classic! LMAO while enjoying some pretty damn good Scotch!

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
If you get into town early enough Zack, I'll wait for you to get here to put the tires on the T. We also will be having a steak dinner after the trail run on Saturday. You coming?

Zach

Mall Crawler
Still working in the logistics of it. Trying to get my ex to watch my kid. After Big Bear, she does not want to wheel again. Don't know why? Well, I do. Don't blame here. Think that was a record for sucking up a seat cover

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Alex, you bringing your Hi-lift? If so, I'll leave mine at home. If you weren't, just let me know and I will bring mine. I figured we only need 1 among the group and can save the weight on one of our rigs.