• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H4o sp13

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
The second annual joint CA, AZ & NV chapters trail run to be held at the Sleeping Princess OHV trail off highway 68 near Laughlin NV. This location is roughly 2 hours from Las Vegas, 4 hours from Phoenix, 5 hours from LA and 6 hours from Tucson. This trail is listed as difficult, "This is a nasty, dangerous trail that should be driven with at least two vehicles. ..." There is also an optional loop known as the Bob Miller extension for those who need more of a challenge or prefer a free ride home from AAA. Here is a :link: to last years trail report and a:link: to the BLM page on Sleeping Princess.

We will run the trail like we last year, climbing 1,600 ft to the summit in 7.2 miles. We will pause in the middle to allows those who want to to try the Bob Miller Extension.

Since it gets hot in Western Arizona in the summer, we are scheduling this trip for November 2rd, which should provide average high temperatures in the 74F to 88F range. We would stay overnight in Laughlin Friday night November 1, 2012. Sunrise in Laughlin NV on November 2rd is 7:00 AM (pacific daylight time - PDT) which is also 7:00 AM (Mountain Standard Time - MST) in Arizona and sunset is 5:44 PM PDT (5:44 PM MST) providing only 10 hours and 44 minutes of daylight, so we will meet at mile marker #8 on the North side of highway 68 (GPS 35.196256,-114.433288) at 7:30 Pacific Standard Time (PST) which is 7:30 Mountain Standard Time (MST) to air down and start the trail at 8:00 AM PST (8:00 AM MST), providing 9 hours and 44 minutes of daylight. For those who choose to stay overnight Saturday night we'll meet for dinner. Sunday we'll do an optional trail run before heading home.

If we get enough people (15 to 20 rooms) I'll made arrangements for a group rate at the Tropicana.

Attendance list.
Attendees:VehicleStaying @ TropicanaStaying elsewhere
PortagerH3T-09yesno
Pancho1965H3yesno

Tentative

Attendees:VehicleStaying @ TropicanaStaying elsewhere
ZachH2
06 H3H3

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I won't be able to do this trip. :sigh: I appreciate you putting this trip together - the last one was great! I just can't pull this off with the other stuff I need to do in November.

Zach

Mall Crawler
I'm still on the fence. Work and getting the truck good to go. Need to do some stuff. And $, daughters high school is kicking my ass

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
I'm still on the fence. Work and getting the truck good to go. Need to do some stuff. And $, daughters high school is kicking my ass

Hope you can make it Zach.

My time off request was approved. Now I just have to get squeaky ready....

Hope you get her ready in time. I guess I'll put you down as tentative for now. You're gonna love this trail!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
so bebe are u in for this trip? It will be probably be my first run with deans diff setup....I know you wanna see his work first hand on the trail :cheers:

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Gosh I would love too, but 12 hrs seems like a long way to drive for a weekend.

You need a better navigator or drink less fluids.:wink: Google maps says it is 9 hours and 5 minutes. We'd love to see the H3 monster do the Bob Miller extension. I'll even provide a drool towel.

bebe

9.5 Hrs from Auburn, CA? I see google says 9.5 Hrs, but that's not realistic. SP is 2 Hrs from Vegas and Vegas is 10hrs from Auburn. Plus we need to eat, pee and get gas. (Towing in CA is 55MPH) That makes 2 days driving time and one day wheeling. If it fell on a 3 day weekend, or Rick and I can both take a Friday off to drive down we'd do it. Don't get me wrong...it's on my list of trails to do. It's between 600 - 650 miles depending on which way we go, it's almost as far as going to Moab for a weekend LOL :)

Plus I'd need a day to see my Daughter who is going to school at UNLV.

Maybe next year :)

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
9.5 Hrs from Auburn, CA? I see google says 9.5 Hrs, but that's not realistic. SP is 2 Hrs from Vegas and Vegas is 10hrs from Auburn. Plus we need to eat, pee and get gas. (Towing in CA is 55MPH) That makes 2 days driving time and one day wheeling. If it fell on a 3 day weekend, or Rick and I can both take a Friday off to drive down we'd do it. Don't get me wrong...it's on my list of trails to do. It's between 600 - 650 miles depending on which way we go, it's almost as far as going to Moab for a weekend LOL :)

Plus I'd need a day to see my Daughter who is going to school at UNLV.

Maybe next year :)

I understand it is a long way for you, I was just hoping to see your truck.

Maybe next year we should move it to Thanksgiving weekend? My only fear is that the trail could be extra busy on a Holiday weekend.

Kurt

Maybe we should put together a norcal event... I'm up in Novato, CA now... well my truck isn't, my H1 is at Tustin until I fly down and pick it up

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Looking forward to SP13. I've ordered a new steering rack and two steering rack bushings upgrades. Should be good to go once I get the new rack installed.