• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Zerk fittings for upper control arm ball joints

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I think a couple of forum members have done this and here's a writeup of the work Reloader did on his truck and my truck yesterday.

1. Use a center punch to mark the center and to provide a guide for the drill bit
  2. Using a small drill bit, dab the end with grease to catch any shavings and drill initial hole
  3. Using your final drill bit, dab the end with grease and drill the hole
  4. Tap the hole to match your zerk fitting threads
  5. A spacker may help to prevent the zerk from hitting the top of the ball joint
  6. Grease up and go!

Not exactly rocket science, but a great way to add some grease and perhaps prolong the life of the ball joints.

A little dab will do ya
Zerk%20fitting%20%288%29-L.jpg

Don't forget water for the dog
Zerk%20fitting%20%2810%29-L.jpg

Tapping the hole
Zerk%20fitting%20%2811%29-L.jpg

Note the spacer below the zerk
Zerk%20fitting%20%289%29-L.jpg

Pick 'em up at your local auto parts store
Zerk%20fitting%20%285%29-L.jpg

Check out the dirt that came out of the sealed (and no tears) boot on an upper ball joint
Zerk%20fitting%20%282%29-L.jpg

hodges81

Great Thread!!! Thanks for the idea man!!!
:cheers:
How are they holding up and cant you tell a difference?

It certainly couldn't have done any more damage after seeing
the dirt that came out from inside the boots.
:giggle:

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Well, it's only been a couple of weeks but they are fine. No short term difference but I hope they help in the long run.

RamRod

What is on the other side of the hole?

Do you have to watch for anything close on the other side that you don't want to drill into?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
The top of ball is on the other side, with a bit of space. It's easy to control the drill in the aluminum. Even if you tap the ball with the bit you won't do harm

digglesworth

Can this be done on the tie rods too? I got a set of 16s from benlaud and might not hurt to freshen them up a bit... What about lower ball joints? If I need to replace them, I'll use the ac delcos with the grease fitting but if they're still solid, some fresh grease never hurts.

kilroy

Ok, since it has been over three years now gotta ask...what as the outcome of this mod, did it help or not?

Reloader

I did mine after both upper control were replaced under warranty at around 35K. Still good and tight at 110K. 1 or 2 shots of grease every Lube/oil/filter so every 4K or so. Bushings still good too. They don't need to last much longer though as there is a Dana 44 in the works soon. They will be good trail spares .