• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

GoPro Hero3 Black Edition price drop

Expendable

SolidusJ

What's is the deal with the sound on go cams? Every video I seen that was take on a Go is sounded low and there was an echo in them. For that amount of money that thing better be perfect.

Chook

What's is the deal with the sound on go cams? Every video I seen that was take on a Go is sounded low and there was an echo in them. For that amount of money that thing better be perfect.
Probably find most use them with the waterproof cover on. Protects them from water/dust/impact but microphone doesn't work through it so well. Most prefer this as they usually put a music background to it post editing anyhow.

owlxxx

Has anyone had issues with bugs with the black edition? My bro in law works on www.iconaircraft.com and they had tons of these but they ran into problems all the time and now stick with the silver edition. They are sponsored/funded in part by GOPRO amongst many other "hip" companies so they have access to as many as they need. I was just wondering because I asked him about it since this sale was posted and he told me to stick with silver but I think they had problems with their high demands from the black edition and it might be ok for a mere hobbyist.

Expendable

Most people buy GoPros for the video quality/durability. even with microphone not being that great it's still a great deal IMO. for $330 you are getting HD video in a durable setup. Plus the wifi remote that interacts with the built in wifi so that you can turn it on remotely. Also you can dowload Cineform for free, their editing software and their app for iphone/Android that lets you view what the camera is viewing.

Previously to get the remote control it was an addition ~$100 (IIRC) add-on that you had to attach as a 'backpack' to the GoPro. And to be able to see what the GoPro was looking at was another ~100 (IIRC) add-on that you again had to attach as a backpack to the GoPro. But you could only only attach one add-on at a time. so you couldn't use the remote control if you had the LCD backpack on. Also you couldn't extend battery life by adding the battery 'backpack' add-on. But with a Hero 3 Black edition, the wi-fi is built into the camera so no need for that backpack. You can view through your phone if you want so no need for an LCD screen (though they do sell a LCD screen for the Hero3 that has a touch screen feature). So you can add the battery 'backpack' on extending you video time and be able to control and see what your Hero3 is doing. plus you can delete, upload your videos from your phone.

http://gopro.com/software-app/gopro-app
http://gopro.com/software-app/gopro-studio

Personally I think it's a good deal.

most of the time the audio is low from what I have seen is when the vehicle is moving ~20MPH or faster (including personal experience with my Hero2) and the wind noise drowns out most of the other noise.

Here is one of the videos I took my GoPro Hero2 in 720P at 60fps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfRGDr--aAc
it's my 2004 Crown Victoria LX Sport and yes the camera is facing backwards. a group of SoCal Crown Vics met up at El Mirage for some legal high speed runs. hit the speed limiter at 110MPH whereas the guys with Police Interceptors hit the speed limiter at 130MPH. Notice the wind noise. This is with the waterproof case to protect the camera from the elements.

I like my Hero2, would like to upgrade to a Hero3 Black edition sometime. but there are other things I want to get before upgrading.

Kyle

i got the black edtion when it first came out and it was a little glitchy but after a few updates it works great!! i love the thing to death and use it everyday!

owlxxx

i got the black edtion when it first came out and it was a little glitchy but after a few updates it works great!! i love the thing to death and use it everyday!

I might just get one then. I've been wanting to expand into video and I think one of these along with my dslr would be great.

Kyle

I might just get one then. I've been wanting to expand into video and I think one of these along with my dslr would be great.

nothing beats a dslr or cinema camera for video production, i use my nikon dslr to shoot some amazing video that you just couldnt get with a go pro. but dont get me wrong the go pro in 1080p and 60fps is amazing the slow motion is even cooler!

Expendable

I think a GoPro is great for when you don't want to put thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment in harm's way whether it is possible, probable or definitely going to happen.

But of course a DSLR is better for HD video (if the DSLR is capable of HD video).

SolidusJ

Most people buy GoPros for the video quality/durability. even with microphone not being that great it's still a great deal IMO. for $330 you are getting HD video in a durable setup. Plus the wifi remote that interacts with the built in wifi so that you can turn it on remotely. Also you can dowload Cineform for free, their editing software and their app for iphone/Android that lets you view what the camera is viewing.

Previously to get the remote control it was an addition ~$100 (IIRC) add-on that you had to attach as a 'backpack' to the GoPro. And to be able to see what the GoPro was looking at was another ~100 (IIRC) add-on that you again had to attach as a backpack to the GoPro. But you could only only attach one add-on at a time. so you couldn't use the remote control if you had the LCD backpack on. Also you couldn't extend battery life by adding the battery 'backpack' add-on. But with a Hero 3 Black edition, the wi-fi is built into the camera so no need for that backpack. You can view through your phone if you want so no need for an LCD screen (though they do sell a LCD screen for the Hero3 that has a touch screen feature). So you can add the battery 'backpack' on extending you video time and be able to control and see what your Hero3 is doing. plus you can delete, upload your videos from your phone.

http://gopro.com/software-app/gopro-app
http://gopro.com/software-app/gopro-studio

Personally I think it's a good deal.

most of the time the audio is low from what I have seen is when the vehicle is moving ~20MPH or faster (including personal experience with my Hero2) and the wind noise drowns out most of the other noise.

Here is one of the videos I took my GoPro Hero2 in 720P at 60fps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfRGDr--aAc
it's my 2004 Crown Victoria LX Sport and yes the camera is facing backwards. a group of SoCal Crown Vics met up at El Mirage for some legal high speed runs. hit the speed limiter at 110MPH whereas the guys with Police Interceptors hit the speed limiter at 130MPH. Notice the wind noise. This is with the waterproof case to protect the camera from the elements.

I like my Hero2, would like to upgrade to a Hero3 Black edition sometime. but there are other things I want to get before upgrading.

I'll stick with my AW100 and be able to use it as a normal cam.

[video=youtube;L534jfd6krI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L534jfd6krI[/video]

Hunner

Has anyone had issues with bugs with the black edition? My bro in law works on www.iconaircraft.com and they had tons of these but they ran into problems all the time and now stick with the silver edition. They are sponsored/funded in part by GOPRO amongst many other "hip" companies so they have access to as many as they need. I was just wondering because I asked him about it since this sale was posted and he told me to stick with silver but I think they had problems with their high demands from the black edition and it might be ok for a mere hobbyist.

That sounds a bit crude there about a mere hobbist (as if they or your are above that considering the reasons you site are frivolous) as the cameras are very similiar. Other than the obvious list of changes the Black in a case is the same type of plastic at those others. If they are using them out of the case and exposing the prime camera lens to the elements, duh no wonder they have problems.
The black also has pro features that I needed that were never on the others for resolution and built in wi-fi to keep size and weight down.

I'm trying to figure how a sophisticated high tech business is using old technology with the same basic lens structure and type of plastic case in front of the lens would not use the added features of a newer model for the reason you state.
Perhaps they should look into some of the many aftermarket add on lens protectors and filters instead of not improving their results.
However with the connection to GOPro I would think there engineers could resolve any technical problems or help compensate for lack of experience.

Ohhhh you may mean technical bugs,
well yeah I did the software flash update right out of the box and mine is stellar.

Just right for cheasy car commericals, boat advertising chases, resort flyovers and property surveys, when I don't want to expose my DSLR to those conditions and playing like a "mere" hobbyist, mounting it on my H3 and quad copter for fun.
Sometimes things just hit me as weird.................excuuuuuse me!

ps there are still some good Beta cams out here for a price.

Last edited:

Expendable

I'll stick with my AW100 and be able to use it as a normal cam.

[video=youtube;L534jfd6krI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L534jfd6krI[/video]

different folks different strokes.

the Nikon has its pluses and minues. as does the GoPro.

simple comparison the the Nikon wins in the camera section easy (you can use it as a camera). the GoPro wins the video department but probably not as big as the Nikon's lead in the camera department. Overall the Nikon wins. I already had a point and shoot camera when I bought my GoPro. you already have the Nikon. so there isn't much reason for you to spend your money on one.

Here is a comparison before the price drop
http://snapsort.com/compare/GoPro-HERO3-Black-Edition-vs-Nikon-AW100

4speedfunk

I bought a GoPro 3-Black about two months ago. A little clumsy at first...but once you get up on the learning curve, its pretty simple. I too have a some double-flashing blue lights once in awhile...something to do with the wireless remote. The only way I can cancel is to remove the battery. I bought the LCD back panel but returned it un-opened. After using the GP for awhile I realized that I don't really need a viewfinder.

Last week I uploaded the latest version of the GoPro Studio editing software, and they recommended also loading Quick-Time. That was a huge mistake! My PC hates Quicktime so I had to un-install both the GoPro software and also the Quicktime...then re-install the GoPro Studio again...this time un-checking the box for Quicktime. Now it works like it should.

Hunner

Hold in the wi-fi button on the side for a couple of seconds and those two blue lights should quit blinking.

Some of my video when played in quick time are jerky but not in the GoPro studio.
I don't think Quicktime likes MP4 on my computer.

I have edited some and it converts to avi for export to make it more compatible with other applications. Some editors like avi better or least from what I have read and tried so far.

I will post any updates I have about my experience in the Photography forum instead of this price drop thread.

Last edited: