• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

jeepster commando build... maybe...

High Five H2

So, my brother bought a house and the neighbors have a junker jeepster commando that they're GIVING AWAY. no engine, no interior. perfect for a frame-up build.

!!!!

I want it... I figure a 4bt, 6 speed manual, some dana 60's and 37's. a matte army green paint job.. pretty cool, huh?

What do you guys think? ls engine instead? different axles? what?

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Sounds like a great setup! Just so you know, if you want, you can switch the front end to that of a CJ7. Some people don't like the look of the Commando, so it can be swapped out easily.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

High Five H2

cool man, maybe i will do that. I do worry about how heavy the 4bt's are though. is that a big deal for a little lightweight jeep like this?

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Jeepsters are neat little pieces of history. You've got my blessing! :wink:

Sent with Tapacrack

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
what I love about 4wheeling is you can take any vehicle and make it into a monster...

It doesnt matter if its a kia, jeep, hummer, ford, etc.

I think it would be a cool project. I know mel wade at ORE complained about the weak frame and used a JK frame and modified the body mounts to make it fit. I dont think thats necessary as it would be easier to have a JK frame seeing their commando had a JK suspension on it (replicated it.) Just do frame plates near suspension components and beef it up. Its cheaper and should do the trick.

High Five H2

cool man, i'll look into it. I figure if I use a 4bt i'll have to beef up the frame and stuff a lot. that's what I like about building a vehicle from the frame up, you can make sure it's done right from the start.

I'll take a picture next time i'm up there. it's pretty trashed, but it's salvageable for sure. it would be a shame to let them take it to the dump.

4speedfunk

Oh god. Look what it could be...
046.jpg

High Five H2

yeah, i'd love to rescue it. looks like it could be a lot of fun. my girl wants to replace her crown vic with something to go off roading in too. she likes that thing, too.......... it may be preliminary to say this, but i think i found myself a good one (the girl... and the jeep i guess).