• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

2012 Rubicon

Silverton34

In an effort to not have to trailer my Jeep everywhere I went I bought a 2012 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. The build has started and I am resisting not getting carried away with offroad items that will ruin the comfort.
009.jpg

So far I have installed a 2 1/2 inch Terraflex budget boost. I'm still looking for a lift that will maintain a good ride and highway manners. This budget boost used the stock springs and gas shocks so the ride is fantastic. AEV is working on some changes for this 2012 model and I will likely use their lift. Also installed a Poison Spyder front bumper with Warn 9000 winch. The rear bumper is Rugged Ridge for now as it was a freebe. Ace Engineering rock rails on the sides are the only ones available that work with the Rubicon factory rock rails. The tires are 35-12.50/17 BFG KM2s on AEV wheels. I bought the BFGs instead of Toyos this time as they are 20lbs lighter each, I do regret it though as they are impossible to balance out so far.

This will never be a daily driver and will spend most of it's time in the garage. I have made five trips to Colorado/Utah this year and will now drive this Jeep instead of trailering it. I was in Ouray two weeks ago and it was great to drive on the highway.

002.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

The size of the Unlimited is a problem here in the Midwest as the trails are so tight.

H3slate

Brush raked
Great looking Jeep!! I really like those wheels from AEV. I haven't heard of anyone having issues balancing the Km2's, let us know how they do.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Looking good, though in the last pic the dogs don't seem as impressed. I haven't had issues with balancing my KM2s either. Looking forward to seeing this in Moab!

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Congratulations & great looking ride Brian!! Keep us in the loop on your build.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
The AEV premium lift kit is great, my brother is has it on his JK, I would wait for the 2012 changes and get it. It actually rides better then stock, my only complaint is the body roll. I am not sure if thats on every jeep but it can easily be solved by a bigger swaybar for on road and then disconnect them off road and your set. The only drawback is that the rubicon has the auto swaybar

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
That looks sweet! The AEV wheels look great! AEV 3.5 would be a great lift. handles better than stock.

Silverton34

The dogs were not excited about the picture and even less about the Jeep. It appears I just woke them up! The yellow lab is mine and is just a throw rug, the ****-zoo is my daughters and I wouldn't tell her but is a great little dog, the black dog is my dad's as he is on a trip, the dog is half lab and half golden retriever and is a hunting machine with amazing abilities for pheasants and a good pet.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
That looks sweet! The AEV wheels look great! AEV 3.5 would be a great lift. handles better than stock.

Agreed, Silverton, if you were in Ca I would let you test drive my brothers JK. Your in iowa though so just take my word for it:)

Silverton34

I'm planning on the AEV 3.5 lift once all the skid plate and exhaust issues are worked out. I'm a little worried it will not ride as nice as it does now but I'm slowly being convinced. I will likely buy the kit the first of the year and get the Jeep on jack stands. I enjoy these projects taking a month or better and it is something to do in January. My garage holds four vehicles and is well heated so I don't have to worry about finishing it quickly. I also don't want anyone else wrenching on this Jeep, I've not had good luck finding quality workmanship. Did I mention the new powertrain rocks?!!!!

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
I'm planning on the AEV 3.5 lift once all the skid plate and exhaust issues are worked out. I'm a little worried it will not ride as nice as it does now but I'm slowly being convinced. I will likely buy the kit the first of the year and get the Jeep on jack stands. I enjoy these projects taking a month or better and it is something to do in January. My garage holds four vehicles and is well heated so I don't have to worry about finishing it quickly. I also don't want anyone else wrenching on this Jeep, I've not had good luck finding quality workmanship. Did I mention the new powertrain rocks?!!!!

Cant wait to see some pics after its all done!:)

Silverton34

Strangely enough, with the AEV lift it really won't look much different than it does today. I will take pics of the whole process and post them here. The exhaust mod for clearance will be the most fun. I don't like messing with rusty exhaust. I'm having an issue with the trans, it goes into limp mode sometimes after long runs in 4low. The dealers mechanic drove it around the block and gave me the "could not duplicate problem" response. Chrysler won't respond, I took a video with my phone so the dealer/mechanic could see exactly what it does. They don't want to view the video. It's likely a sensor or software issue. It drove fine 900 miles home.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Silverton I hope you have your trans issue is fixed soon! On the AEV kit, I understand your concern. I was concerned too. My brothers JK is an 08 and he enjoys wheeling but doesnt have the interest to spend time modifying, researching and fabricating, I do though, so he tells me what he wants and I research what would best suite him. I love the modifying aspect. I even spend hours online researching stuff for friends 4x4's, it helps them and I. I can find ideas to translate over to the H3. Back to the JK though, I did research on lifts, I ordered from Tim for H3 stuff in the past so I gave him a call. After hours of research I was overwhelmed. I have never saw such an aftermarket! lol I wish Hummers had half of it and I would be thrilled. After talking with him he recommended AEV, My biggest concern was ride quality. The stories of death wobble, lack of control on freeways, etc. was all frightening. Tim loves this lift so much he forewent making profit from my brother and recommended AEV. AEV has strict rules on who sells their stuff and Tim hasnt been able to get there stuff yet so I think that talks alot about both companies and especially Tim, he could of easily sold us one of the kits he can get his hands on. I would recommend one thing, There is the 3.5 basic and premium and the 4.5 basic and premium. If you get the 3.5 or 4.5 get the premium, it comes with the pro cal which allows you to change the computer calibrations for tire size, gear ratio, etc. Also another thing about the kit is that is comes with a "hi steer bracket" it keeps the steering components at a nicer near stock angle which puts less wear and tear on your JK. Other kits lack that unless you go long arm or other high quality kits where most of the stuff is included. It may cost more in the beginning but in the end you replace less things from wear and tear. My brother has the 4.5 and can fit 37s but stuck with 35's he now has some more flex too. Even the 4.5 doesnt seem too tall and is very stable. Stock Jk compared to his JK, his rides better. He doesnt have the rubicon and sat really low and couldnt do anything. Now he can do alot more trails that he couldnt before hand. Any other questions feel free to ask.

-Chris

Last edited:

Silverton34

Thanks for some great information. I have been closely watching the developments on an exhaust fix for the 2012. It seems the front driveshaft hits the exhaust crossover when flexed out with any lift over two inches. Terraflex has a spacer that appears to work but I'm waiting for one of the UCP manufacturers to come up with a package of high quality. What I would really like to see is AEV come up with an exhaust fix to work with their lift. That is one I would buy, AEV quality is obvious.

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
In an effort to not have to trailer my Jeep everywhere I went I bought a 2012 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. The build has started and I am resisting not getting carried away with offroad items that will ruin it.

If you ask any H1 owners that wheel theres and drive theres to events and across the country some will say that comfort is over-rated:wink: