• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Post Pismo Beach Hummer Invasion

Expendable

Sorry it took so long for me to post a recap of this event.

We had ~50 Hummers at the event (of those we had 5 H2s, 1H3 and 1 H3T). The whole weekend was busy for me since I was helping my dad with the show; so unfortunately I was able to only take 24 pictures myself but I will be sharing some pics that my Mom, Franco (and or his wife) and a friend of Garrett (Predator Inc Sales Rep) took.

On Friday morning I met up with a group of H1s in Burbank. We had 12 or 13 (including Bill Wu's Humvee which was being towed up there). We waited for one member who was running late, and then took off for Pismo. I was later told one member of the caravan had battery issues from what I was told, he and one other member stayed behind to help. I went with the rest of the convoy, we ended up taking the 5 North to the 126 to avoid the 101 traffic on both sides of the 405. along the 126 we stopped at a gas station so that one member could fill up his Gasser H1 (it was a 95 with only a 25 gallon fuel tank, 96+ got an auxilliary 17.5 gallon fuel tank at the cost of a slightly lessened ground clearance now that there is a fuel tank and the hitch support being lowered). after a nice intermission (probably a half hour, possibly more ) at the gas station we continued on Pismo. Not long after we connected to the 101 near Ventura we spotted the H1s that stayed behind in Burbank waiting on the side of the highway. One joined our caravan and the other went at his pace (~55MPH, he was towing a side by side in a M101A3; whereas we were going about 65MPH on average).

I pulled into the rest stop at the bottom of the Gaviota Pass (about 10 miles before Buellton) where I took a break since i was getting sleepy (I worked 6PM thursday till 6AM Friday; so I was close to being awake 24 hours straight at this point). I stretched, walked a bit, used the facilities and took the time to put the fuel in my jerry can into my fuel tank since my fuel gauge was reading 1/4 tank (I always fuel up at 1/4 tank but the most I have ever put in is 12 gallons when it reads 1/4 tank. So I was probably only at half, But I wanted the peace of mind knowing I had extra fuel in the tank). After about a half hour rest I got back onto the highway, about 15-20 minutes down the road I see two of the convoy on the side of the freeway, I slow down and get off the next exit where I see most of the convoy parked on the shoulder of the off ramp. I was starting to feel bad, hoping they weren't waiting for me since I do not have a CB yet to notify them why I had stopped at the rest stop. But then I notice there is a turnout about a football field away from me where there are a few H1s. I am notified that the Gasser H1 had started to leak trans fluid. So they decided to take Bill's Humvee off the flatbed trailer and to tow the Gasser the rest of the 40 or so miles to Pismo for safety. the caravan waited for the swap to happen. But when the Duramax Silverado went to make a U-turn it stopped mid turn, now the Silverado itself was on the shoulder but the trailer was blocking the Northbound lane and part of the Southbound lane. So Franco with his Cummins 92 pulled the Silverado and H1 laden trailer onto the rest of the shoulder. I wouldn't find out until later that the Silverado had run out of Diesel fuel (attributed to the very aggressive custom tune not designed for towing so any increase in throttle left a cloud of black smoke coming out of the exhaust while towing). Franco then used the fuel in his Jerry Cans top fuel up the Silverado. From there we continued on to Pismo. We then met my dad just outside the first entrance to the dunes, those staying in hotels opted to go to the hotels and those camping in the dunes followed my dad to the campsite.

After getting them settled I ran errands with my family for the car show next day, unfortunately the 3PM dune run didn't happen. We did go out and do a sunset run. A few of us got stuck, with myself getting stuck so bad in the sand that it took about hour to get myself out of the dunes (I would later find out I had only aired down to 30psi when I thought I was around 20psi) with help of two trucks at a time (total of four helped but at most two at a time). I even recovered a truck not long after I was recovered. We took so long recovering trucks that sunset had passed when we had planned to light a candle in remembrance of Operation Red Wings when 11 Navy SEALs and 8 Army Nightstalkers lost their lives. Well stopped on top of a dune, lit the candle and cracked open some beers in remembrance. Then my family went back to my dad's place to prepare and get some rest before the show the next day.

Next day started bright and early in preparation for the show. from 7AM till about 4PM I was either so tired or doing something for the show that I didn't even take any pics of the trucks at the show. Well I think we had 50+ Hummers but I am not sure. Kyle came to the show but didn't stay. Mr Rich was the only H3 that stayed the length of the show and we had about 5 H2s (four of which had lifts and were more than likely street queens). After the giving out of the trophies for the show, everybody started leaving, it probably didnt help that it had been like 90 degrees at the show which is incredibly weird since the show was like a block or two from the ocean. at around 7PM we had dinner as a group of about 40 or 50 of us at a steakhouse. that was a really fun time and some of us didn't leave until almost 11 PM or so. Well most people were too tired to have a bonfire after the dinner that the campers had a 'party' on the dunes from what I was told.

Sunday morning around 9:30 we met up as a group and went out into the dunes but unfortunately for the group photo there was only 12-15 of us. After the morning dune trip, most people started the journey and or do their own thing with their family, while a few hung out on the beach. and that was pretty much the end of the meet. it was pretty hectic myself but it was nice seeing everyone else having a good time with other Hummer owners!

Sorry that the pictures are out of order!

9235092889_1fca43c374.jpg

White Open Top with sunset
taken by Franco or his Wife

9235008413_a05ff09639.jpg

Lifted Red H1 Wagon in the dunes
taken by Predator Inc

9235008733_682a20ab89.jpg

Hummers in the dunes
taken by Predator Inc

9235009599_72cf010a86.jpg

My Dad's Rat Rod Hummer
taken by Predator Inc

9235010003_13024399d8.jpg

Bill Wu's highly modified Humvee with Garrett of Predator Inc driving
taken by Predator Inc

9235011819_c70170607e.jpg

Some of the Hummers at the Show
Taken by Predator Inc

9235012387_8192e732d1.jpg

Some more of the Hummers at the show
Taken by Predator Inc

9237793526_66cf9a8e75.jpg

Franco's 6BT Cummins conversion Tan 92 Slantback and his Duramax conversion 2002 Tenth Anniversary (1 of 65; all came from factory painted Desert Sunset)
taken by Predator Inc

9237794354_876ebefae8.jpg

Santa Maria Police Department DARE Humvee
taken by Predator Inc

9235012771_1a876c5c02.jpg

Franco's 92 Slantback and my Dad's Open Top during the middle of recovery of my Wagon
taken by Predator Inc

More pics to come!

Expendable

ill post up my pics too if you dont mind!

of course I don't mind! anyone with pics please do post up!

and sorry for the really long summarization of the event. lol

More Pics:

9237794028_b8765fd4d5.jpg

Out in the dunes
Taken by Predator Inc

9237794828_4e44a28de8.jpg

Follow the leader
Taken by Predator Inc

9237014730_a2dcff7eb9.jpg

Watching an open top try to get out of a really steep bowl

9237016904_17e8d5331c.jpg

Rat Rod Hummer
Taken by my Predator Inc

9237006250_9774b730ee.jpg

Group Pic
Taken by Predator Inc

9234062539_925f3b5bcf.jpg

Group Pic
Taken by myself

9234059425_44ce485fc4.jpg

Group Pic
taken by myself

9236835432_2990a4805e.jpg

Bill Wu's Humvee off the trailer and the gasser getting strapped down
taken by myself

9236834414_d39e2b439c.jpg

Convoy on the 126 before we stopped at the gas station

9236832288_aeaaf452e4.jpg

Convoy meeting up in Burbank
taken by myself

Last edited:

Expendable

More Pics, sorry again that they are out of order:

9221612558_6fc67763d3.jpg

Slime helped a ton, They came out, had a lot of giveaways to attendees, for the raffle and for the auction, great guys as well!
taken by my Mom

9218827623_d5c4ca4b0c.jpg

Rich and a couple of H2s from the show
taken by my Mom

9221599276_df4bfe4854.jpg

so there was one more H3 at the show, sorry I forgot
taken by my Mom

9221563630_42639cc21d.jpg

Shot of some of the trucks
taken by my Mom

9221551506_05de6ba6dc.jpg

Damon really took to riding the kid's Hummer bike he donated to the auction
taken by my Mom

9198932568_f49c84ebe7.jpg

Candle for the fallen operators during Operation Red Wings and some brew in their memories
taken by my Mom

9198930414_b677b6e406.jpg

Nice Sunset Pic with my truck
taken by my Mom

9196143687_0f6912cc89.jpg

Another
taken by my Mom

9196134965_f4ce024ace.jpg

Nearing the end of me being stuck in super soft sand, all the trucks were digging in as well as my dad's truck and my truck were trying to go uphill plus the straps were digging into the sand too
taken by my Mom

9190894514_85ebfdaafc.jpg

My dad riding a bowl
taken by my Mom

Expendable

Posted a link to the whole album below so you can 220+ more pics and or see the 30 or so I posted but in a larger size

Also if anyone is interested I am going back to Pismo for Huckfest towards the end of August. I will be going up Friday morning and coming back down Monday morning.

Nice pics.

Thanks for sharing.

You got any larger versions?

You're welcome!

Here's the link to the photostream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hummerinvasion/

I really wanted to go on this run but staying employed was more important. Thanks for sharing the pics!

You're Welcome! Sorry you couldn't make it! But keepin your job is more important!

Thanks for sharing pics!!!
I would love to be there

You're Welcome!

Expendable

so no h2 in the dunes? From photos it looks like H2s were show trucks.

i saw a couple of h2s on the beach but they werent in pismo for the show. and i didnt see them in the dunes though i was only able to spend 2 or 3 hours in the dunes over the whole weekend

Mr_Rich

It made for a long day, but worthwhile. I enjoyed seeing all the custom work that has been done to these trucks and they all assemble in one place for this special day. My truck says HUMMER, but I was parked among the real HUMMER('s). No one mentioned it, but I liked the inventiveness of the owner that put a Hummer body on a '73 Chevy pickup frame. Thanks for posting the pics!

Expendable

It made for a long day, but worthwhile. I enjoyed seeing all the custom work that has been done to these trucks and they all assemble in one place for this special day. My truck says HUMMER, but I was parked among the real HUMMER('s). No one mentioned it, but I liked the inventiveness of the owner that put a Hummer body on a '73 Chevy pickup frame. Thanks for posting the pics!

I didn't mention the fake Hummer because the owner is/was a tool. He was pissing a lot of the owners off. such as when he walked up to Bill Wu's Humvee (the one where the spindle fell out of the hub so that it was resting on the control arm on the trailer) and was spouting off that that is why his solid axle truck is better (Bill Wu was present for this but didn't say anything). or something to that effect. He was also going on about how he has less than $12K in his build yet in the past he said he had more than double that invested in his truck. (his son owns a body shop so I doubt he paid any labor. his son has a fake hummer on a Ford chassis, it's that famous orange one that does truck pulls and stuff.) That owner also was revving his engine and playing music loud in the parking lot which could have got my dad in trouble with the city since those were against the agreement my dad had with the city to put on this event.

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but his actions were not reflecting on us in a positive manner. I think it's great people want Hummers enough to make imitations but if you wanna hang out with the community that has the real deal don't compose yourself in a manner similar to his.

Also I was doing errands during most of the show so I did not see how he handled himself the whole time (not that I would have put the time in if I had it) but I did see enough in my own eyes and talked to enough of the other owners to get a feel about him and his actions.

Expendable

Bill Wu posted a nice video on youtube, even has my truck getting pulled out from getting stuck

[video=youtube;Rk87TimQazY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk87TimQazY[/video]

The red h1 was the "fake" one right?

Sent from the top of a mountain in my h3

You couldn't tell which one was fake? :shame:

Kyle

Bill Wu posted a nice video on youtube, even has my truck getting pulled out from getting stuck

[video=youtube;Rk87TimQazY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk87TimQazY[/video]

You couldn't tell which one was fake? :shame:

Honestly i thought the red one was! Ive never seen a v8 h1. I know they've been made. But i didnt know there were any around

Expendable

Honestly i thought the red one was! Ive never seen a v8 h1. I know they've been made. But i didnt know there were any around

where to start with a 'V8 H1' :wink:, well all H1s from the factory had V8s. now if you had said Gasser or Gas H1 I can understand the confusion there since from the factory they were only available in 95 and 96 for a total of 767 Gasser H1s out of under 12,000 H1s produced. Also when diesel prices spiked some owners swapped out their Diesels to 454s, 502s and a few even to 572s. Then there are the four or so H1s with the Vortec 8100 installed as well. I also know a factory gasser that the 350 was swapped out for an LS1, that was a cool project as he had a build thread on the HML.

Biggest thing I'm surprised about is that you didn't see the solid axle under there.

Kyle

where to start with a 'V8 H1' :wink:, well all H1s from the factory had V8s. now if you had said Gasser or Gas H1 I can understand the confusion there since from the factory they were only available in 95 and 96 for a total of 767 Gasser H1s out of under 12,000 H1s produced. Also when diesel prices spiked some owners swapped out their Diesels to 454s, 502s and a few even to 572s. Then there are the four or so H1s with the Vortec 8100 installed as well. I also know a factory gasser that the 350 was swapped out for an LS1, that was a cool project as he had a build thread on the HML.

Biggest thing I'm surprised about is that you didn't see the solid axle under there.

oh trust me i did! lol

Mr_Rich

I didn't mention the fake Hummer because the owner is/was a tool. He was pissing a lot of the owners off. such as when he walked up to Bill Wu's Humvee (the one where the spindle fell out of the hub so that it was resting on the control arm on the trailer) and was spouting off that that is why his solid axle truck is better (Bill Wu was present for this but didn't say anything). or something to that effect. He was also going on about how he has less than $12K in his build yet in the past he said he had more than double that invested in his truck. (his son owns a body shop so I doubt he paid any labor. his son has a fake hummer on a Ford chassis, it's that famous orange one that does truck pulls and stuff.) That owner also was revving his engine and playing music loud in the parking lot which could have got my dad in trouble with the city since those were against the agreement my dad had with the city to put on this event.

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but his actions were not reflecting on us in a positive manner. I think it's great people want Hummers enough to make imitations but if you wanna hang out with the community that has the real deal don't compose yourself in a manner similar to his.

Also I was doing errands during most of the show so I did not see how he handled himself the whole time (not that I would have put the time in if I had it) but I did see enough in my own eyes and talked to enough of the other owners to get a feel about him and his actions.

I didn't know the whole story, but I won't disagree with you. I certainly wouldn't have made a smart-a$$ comment about the broken hub. I don't throw salt on an open wound....

I felt humbled to be part of the event. I figured my truck is just unique enough that it added a little extra variety and a few people came up and asked questions about H3's and stuff....

Kurt

I think everyone was ignoring the kit car there. It was the elephant standing in the room, a lot of people felt it shouldn't be there since it was not a Hummer, [The body was a trexx or urban gorilla]. The weird thing was that kit car probably cost more to make than actually buying a used H1.

Perhaps he got confused about the $12k as that's the value of his chevy? I've seen the kit hummers go for 8-10K in Los Angeles with its obvious the owner got way more than that put into it. They'll come up with with whatever lame ass excuses to justify it .. usually herp-a-derp-solid-axles!

The guys with the super street queen blue H2 were complete tools with their pitbull but thats another story. Doubt we'll be seeing them again especially if the event is on sand next time :D

Last edited: