• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Nothing to do this 4th of July? Come with us to Big Bear!

Kurt

I was talking to a few folks at the Pismo event this past weekend and some expressed an interest in doing a casual mostly scenic run in the big bear area, and possibly stay overnight and hang out for a bit.

I have the area mapped out, I'd figure we meet at the Park Discovery Center at 10am near Fawnskin, CA, do the forest trails down to Lucerne Valley area, then double back up the mountain via Rattlesnake canyon which is mostly easy with one moderate spot in a valley.

I'll prerun the trail the day before to make sure there isn't any gotchas. I'll be staying for 2 nights in the big bear area, and maybe do some other trails after the next day.

No John Bull or Gold Mountain difficulty stuff, want to keep this fast moving and scenic. If anyone stays the extra day we'll explore a few other trails.

I'll post trail maps tomorrow... let me know if you are interested, I think we got 3 H1's so far. Anyone is welcome of course, and if you want to bring a buddy in a jeep or whatever thats cool too...

As for staying I'll check a few motel/cabins to see if they are booked up, same with campgrounds.

Kurt

I'm heading up tomorrow afternoon [3rd] and staying until Friday [5th]. Runs are 2 trails up and down the mountain on the 4th with fireworks on the lake.

Another owner will let us visit his property on the lake so there's room for 6 trucks, but I have to know in advance. I'm booking a room for two nights, I was thinking of camping but campgrounds may be closed to booked up, same with rooms.

Kurt

I rented a comfort suite at Honey Bear lodge, I got room for 5 with a kitchenette and separate bedrooms if anyone wants to split.... they may have a few rooms open still for the holiday.

/edit

The extra beds are spoken for..

Last edited:

Kurt

If you can at the last minute, we'll meet up at 10am at the Discovery center, please give me a PM or a phone call first, if I don't hear from anyone I assume there is no extras and we'll head on out.

Kurt

Had a good trip, Rattlesnake canyon was closed due to vandalism but it wasn't clear if the forest/road trails were closed or if it was just the hiking paths. The original plan was to go down Grapevine Canyon and across Lucerne Valley then back up Rattlesnake .

We wound up running Gold Mountain, blew through it in about 90 minutes, went exploring a bit then went back to the Lake for fireworks and bbq.

TACMEDIC

Kurt, Nice to see you guys. Thank you for stopping by the Cabin and sharing some beers and the Awesome Firework Show. Sorry, I missed the trails this time.