• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Project anti-chrome

autumn walker

Chrome on my truck is pealing badly and I can't stand chrome to begin with. I have started what I am calling "project anti-chrome". Started with my gas cap and hood latches since they were heavily corroded and pealing.

I pealed off as much chrome as I could then sanded / picked off all the corrosion and made sure to give any remaining chrome a very good scuff. Hit it with self etching primer, rocker guard, and then Tremclad professional semi-gloss black.

2013-06-28 09.51.24.jpg2013-06-28 13.42.22.jpg2013-06-28 14.46.42.jpg2013-06-28 18.01.00.jpg2013-06-28 21.07.12.jpg2013-06-28 21.07.27.jpg

My truck is my daily driver and woods rig - not a show truck. It got to a point where removing all the chrome was more annoying than I cared to continue with so I just scuffed it and painted it. Does the trick!

LoJac963

Looks good so far! I have done the same, I don't mind chrome but I think the amount the 2's have stock is a little much. The only chrome I'm keeping is the front grill. As for everything else the chrome is gone!

autumn walker

Looks good so far! I have done the same, I don't mind chrome but I think the amount the 2's have stock is a little much. The only chrome I'm keeping is the front grill. As for everything else the chrome is gone!

I'm thinking about doing the same - the only chrome on my H3 was the grill and I was ok with that, but I am really digging the 100% blacked out H2 look.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I did the Duplicolor bedliner on the grill a while back. The chrome had just started to peel on the back side. I thought I got it all by pulling, peeling and sanding but I'm now seeing some signs of delamination underneath the bedliner. I think it will hold for a good while but I'll have to tackle it at some point.

LoJac963

yeah that's the only thing I hope doesn't happen to me. As I mentioned I don't mind the chrome grill but if it starts to bubble and peel then the chrome will definitely be coming off.