• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Search and Rescue H3 Alpha build

SuperBuickGuy

I swear that one of these days, I'm going to put lettering on my bumper that says this "99%er" then in small print under it "who uses his Hummer off road".... I honestly bought my H3 to use off road, Jeeps are great - however, when you swap axles, transfer case, put in an LS motor and transmission, box the frame, cut the fenders, swap the tires and wheels - is it really still a Jeep? Anyway, rather than go that route - I present my H3 (not to mention it cost 15k less than a Rubicon and goes every where Rubicon goes....but I digrees)
All of the work/swaps/installs are geared towards doing Search and Rescue; so radical isn't my point, reliability and increased capability while still maintaining its status as a luxury SUV (after all, I can't imagine roughing it in the woods without my DVD player, and heated leather seats....

My first H3

My current H3, a 2008 H3, Alpha Adventure package, I bought it was 85k miles for 18k

SuperBuickGuy

Winch install

PC120010.jpg

DAMMIT
PC130001_zpsb6c02731.jpg

a bit more progress
PC130002_zpsf5daab1f.jpg

dang, if I hadn't told about the drilling the hole in the condensor, it'd look like I knew I was doing
PC130003_zpsfc29daa7.jpg

eventually, I'll hinge the license plate... but for now, I just moved it up.... or I'll simply leave it off and argue with the WHP
PC130004_zps266ef6a5.jpg

SuperBuickGuy

Underside protection
a bit more work
the H3 has 85k miles, so it's time to change the shocks
PC230002_zps70fc9a8c.jpg

the transfer case skid plate is weak - so I replaced it with something studier
PC230003_zps34e8f8ce.jpg

PC230004_zpsd90f1065.jpg

PC230005_zpsb10f275f.jpg

(nothing like having some spare stainless around)

there will be skid plating here - just not sure how I'm going to do it
PC230006_zpsb57d1808.jpg

wanted a skid plate, didn't want to spend $350 on a plate - so I copied it
start point
PC230006_zpsb57d1808.jpg

I'm sure GM figured that, because the transmission and oil pan were well above the frame - it didn't make sense to put a skid plate on their off-road package trucks (Jeep does the same calculation)... but you could buy it, for $500 plus installation. I found one for $350 on ebay, but why buy when you can build?

this actually stronger; and gives the added benefit of supporting the lower cradle (thus less flex in the front suspension)

So now, it is a completely flat plate from the center of the front tires to behind the transfer case (which is pretty close to the rear wheels).... :thumbs:

I also solved some rattles. This is another one of those "I'll just save some time by buying it" where I could have done a lot better and for 1/3rd the cost (dum-da-dum-dum-dummmmm) and in the end, if it still rattles; I will build it and have a rack for when my wife gets her Jeep

So here's how it sits - notice how the metal bends under the hi-lift jack mount?

so to fix it, I put a kink in all of the 'other' flat plates; then bent a 90* and kinked the flat plates for some strength

I also siliconed it down so there's a positive damper between the rattlely bits (one nice feature I didn't notice was they forgot to put an insulator at the end of one strip)

nice work smittybilt.... your winch better be better than this or I'll come hunt you down and pull your cars apart with a Warn winch.

Next is fix the front A-arms.... amazing, less than 100k miles and the bushings are shot. Also, I guess they didn't put rebuildable ball joints in the end of the a-arms; so you have to buy the complete a-arm. Fine, I've bought new ones; but after I install them, I'm going to figure out a way to put poly bushings and rebuildable/lubeable joints on the upper A arm.

SuperBuickGuy

On to happier stuff.... anyone who owns a GM car with a center stack like the H3 should really pay attention to this:

The far right knob's light is dead.

the GM repair
getimage.php

$192.79 plus shipping and handling.... for a stinking blown out light bulb...

OR

the HVAC control literally pops off the dash (pry CAREFULLY - starting in a corner, paying attention to the middle one)

it's off

gently pry the back cover off - it's held by clips that aren't, technically, suppose to be removeable. Make sure the middle dial (fan control) that bit is vertical - and the rear part is vertical to it

The bulbs - are 12v 65 mA, I replaced it with a 12v 50 mA
here are the bulb holders

new bulb is the white-wrapped one

desolder and remove the old bulb
drill the hole to put the new bulb i
solder back together
ugly but functional

back to this picture - left corner, the bulb simply twists in place

and other than a moment where I wondered why all the lights were flashing at me - it works excellent

I will be (haha, like not unless it blows) all those bulbs with LED lights - there's a company that makes 12v 75mA bulbs - so presuming I have to take this apart again - I'll replace those bulbs with LEDs

Questions?

SuperBuickGuy

Air compressor install
okay... more stuff
I'm done with air compressors dying....

note the Viair v. the Harbor freight.... anyone want to guess where HF stole their idea?

(side note, I've fixed the HF one - it'll be a good backup or will reside in my truck - which doesn't really get air'd down often)

organizationally speaking... I need more space - so the first step was clearing space and seeing what I have to work with

while I was at it, I ran my CB/HAM radio antenna line... note there is no room under the panels on the driver's side

Amazing how much space they waste here

air compressor mount.... I'll show where it's going to go Sunday

I know you'll find this hard to believe (it is a Hummer, after all) but I did try to find these in a non-chrome version

their new home.... they need to stay non-submerged and not in a direct path of water... this is about the best I've got available

So I'll have a compressor fitting on the outside of the rail on the passenger side

eventually, I'll box this with 3/16 or 1/8 plate (rock slider) - so there will be little change this end will get knocked off.... even right now, it's quite a ways into the vehicle - so I'm confident it'll take some work for me to knock it off.

continuing on with the install
I made a cap for the end to prevent pressurized water from hitting the end of the air compressor - according to other installs, that will be fine (crossing fingers)

ran some wiring

the air outlet is attached to flexible hoses and well zip-tied to a bracket.... I didn't hard mount it because I suspect I won't like that spot.... seriously, I'm considering putting the air outlet inside the car to keep contamination out of the end.

and run to a relay under the hood

I still need to run a pressure switch and wire the dash switch... but at least now I can hot wire it and use it.

SuperBuickGuy

So now you're basically up to speed of where I am with this thing.... I'm trying to solve the airbag issue (the airbag light is on because I got winched by a Jeep and now the H3 thinks in rolled over)

I've put the pressure switches on and replumbed to the rear of the H3 .... pictures on that later.... plus pictures of being pulled by a Jeep (it doesn't happen often)

ArtHummer

If ABS light went on, I believe you have to replace the abs module... But, a good practice for the next time is to pull out the abs fuse when you wheel it... the censors are pretty sensitive and anything can happen. In fact Kyle had his side airbags deployed on the dirt rode for no reason.

SuperBuickGuy

so here is the situation.... we were demonstrating proper winching techniques at our SAR base....

at one point, it was close, but it obviously didn't go over

anyway, there's actually two bits to the air bag system. The roll over sensor, and the air bag controller - we (dealership and I) think it's the roll over sensor; but to find out, I have to replace it then hope it turns the light off

yes, I should remove the fuse.... but it's one of those 1) I have to remember to do it; 2) I'm hauling strangers as part of my duties in SAR, and it's one of those catch-22s about liability if I pull the fuse.
If I pulled the fuse, then I'd have to argue that the air bag wouldn't have helped them or would have hurt them.... if I don't pull the fuse and it goes off; then it's manufacturing defect and they can go fight GM.

In either case, and here's kind of the other bit you might not know - in Washington, if I injure myself, my passengers or my vehicle on a mission - the State picks up the tab for damages... so pulling the fuse when doing a mission wouldn't be a good idea. OTH, when I go out on my own... it would be a good idea - but that requires remembering to do it.

The State is reimbursing me for the air bag sensor because I was doing a practice (which is, in their eyes, the same as a mission)... so this is merely an inconvenience - but hopefully also good information for the rest :)

Kyle

GM should cover the cost of the sensor for you and the state, saving you both money. Also, both parts of the system need to be changed out, the sensor and the air bag control module, then the light will go out.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I think you are correct in that it is the rollover sensor. From what I heard, there are 3 or 4 sensors within it and you might've tripped two, and they are non-resettable. Kyle had good luck getting his side airbags replaced by the dealer when they went off unexepectedly but I've also witnessed an owner paying for the rollover sensor replacement, in part because the vehicle really did tip that far.

HVAC lights flashing. Not sure if you disconnected the battery, or if it is just because you disconnected the control unit, but the flashing lights were likely the result of the HVAC calibration that it performs on the temp and air flow doors.

Compressors - are you going to install any additional heat shield between them and the muffler? Seems the heat could do some damage to the rubber and plastic components, but maybe you are far enough away.

Transfer case skid plate: did you tap new holes in the frame and bolt that left (tail) end of the skid plate from the top side? Looks like a really flush transition to the crossmember.

Great write up on everything, thanks!

Kyle

why should GM cover the sensor costs?

The sensors are to sensitive and can cause the bags to deploy. It happened to me, just go to your dealer tell them that the sensor failed and they need to replace it. Mention how your upset about this because it could have caused the bags to go off and you could have been injured. Im sure they will cover it.

SuperBuickGuy

I think you are correct in that it is the rollover sensor. From what I heard, there are 3 or 4 sensors within it and you might've tripped two, and they are non-resettable. Kyle had good luck getting his side airbags replaced by the dealer when they went off unexepectedly but I've also witnessed an owner paying for the rollover sensor replacement, in part because the vehicle really did tip that far.

HVAC lights flashing. Not sure if you disconnected the battery, or if it is just because you disconnected the control unit, but the flashing lights were likely the result of the HVAC calibration that it performs on the temp and air flow doors.

Compressors - are you going to install any additional heat shield between them and the muffler? Seems the heat could do some damage to the rubber and plastic components, but maybe you are far enough away.

Transfer case skid plate: did you tap new holes in the frame and bolt that left (tail) end of the skid plate from the top side? Looks like a really flush transition to the crossmember.

Great write up on everything, thanks!

GM isn't helping me on the replacement - and I honestly think the dealership that I'm using would love to get GM to pay for it.... I'm not sure that the roll over sensor would actually set off the air bags, it sets the light off, but whether or not it would deploy the bags if you went over... I honestly don't know (and really don't want to find out)

Transfer case and transmission skids both - I used the GM bolt holes, except where there weren't holes then I drilled and tapped them (and mind you, the front cross member is a genuine GM PITA to drill and tap)

I ran the compressors enough to fill 3 tires before it popped the lines I was using for air lines (garage lines do not work well for this).... and the hottest point got 182 degrees, but that was right under the compressor manifold - the manifold never got hotter than 154 degrees, and everything else stayed right at 100 degrees (plus or minus 4 degrees). Floorboard - which I was worried about, stayed at 100 degrees. That muffler doesn't get warmer than about 140* and it's actually completely below the air compressors....

I do have some waterproof fans coming - I plan on hooking it up to come one when the second compressor comes on. I have them on staggered switches, 85 on 105 off, 90 on 150 off respectively so it doesn't completely overload the electrical system if they both came on at once when they were fully warmed up (35 amps)

Last edited:

SuperBuickGuy

finished up the wiring today - promptly blew the compressor line when I used it to test whether or not it'd fill all the tires from 8 psi

nice, safe spot for the air outlet

I also found the Ford solenoid couldn't handle a full-power for the 20 minutes or so it takes to fill the tires - so I'll have to find a heavy duty solenoid (like they use in electric pallet jacks).

I also ordered some braided line for the compressor line.... close, very close to done

SuperBuickGuy

I got the fans today.... woohoo

they're waterproof - the circuit board is coated in epoxy.... and it puts out an amazing amount of focused air - all while only drawing .9 amps

SuperBuickGuy

Nice H3 build. I do have a question is that location where you mounted the air compressors give you any problems??

I did a practice air-down to 5 psi, then reinflate all the way to highway psi (60)... other than the garage line didn't like the pressures; it worked fine. I've yet to put the fan on it, but I got my temp gauge under the car (I'm lucky enough to have my own lift) - and the temps were ~100 degrees above the muffler, and ranged to a high of 182 at the mid point of the compressor head - but the head itself never got hotter than 132. The floorboard never got hotter than the 100 degrees it normally is. Eventually, (meaning when Summit decides to send me the line I paid for) I'll have a pressure relief valve, stainless braided line to the rear, and a water-proof fan blowing on the motor when the second compressor comes on.

Once I do those last three upgrades, I'll change the air in my tires again - but I honestly don't see any problems with the temps... especially since I used two compressors for that very reason (reduce the load, thus lower temps)...

SuperBuickGuy

for some reason, the USPS sent my stuff to finish my H3 to North Carolina.... not sure why, but it's not surprising... it's the USPS
despite them, I got stuff done

I removed, then put this right back on. It got warm when I was doing my test, so I bought a made in USA relay.... it just didn't work at all....

I put a pressure relief valve here... for some reason, I didn't take a picture of the completed - but it aims at the relays

I installed the fans for the compressors

SuperBuickGuy

some finishing pictures

I think eventually I'll build a shield for the manifold and sundry bits that are there (that box is the compressor for the rancho shock control). I also may put a tank on it, but mostly to try and keep moisture out - so it'd be small.... but then again, there is not a lot of room for such stuff and I still have to put the inverter and deep cycle battery onboard.

I also will do a spring-over axle - but thinking of simply cutting down the original box to a more respectable height.... we'll see. I also have a twin-turbo 1950 Buick that I'm building so funds now focus on that....