• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

LED light comparisons. Aurora vs Rigid

rascole

Has anyone heard of Aurora LED lights? On a last minute deal I bought some with a group buy with some co-workers. Some Toyota guys set it up. Did some of my own research and have not found any bad reviews. I will get them this week so I can give pics and feedback from my own test soon. I paid about half the price of what I did for my Rigids so it is worth a try.
So input and experience is appreciated.

frumaker

I also just purchased from aurora. Have not received them yet but my friend has them and rigid and you cannot tell the diffewnce

FRU

rascole

Co-worker said Aurora makes the parts for Rigid. Internals are the same and even the lens and connectors are interchangeable. At least the pictures look the same. I will get them tomorrow so we shall see.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I don't know about these particular lights but many of the Rigid clones are Chinese knockoffs and end up being patent fights for Rigid. It was amazing the amount of **** being marketed at SEMA that was nothing more than a ripoff of US intellectual property.

These lights may of course not fall into that category and I hope they work well for you.

Quick Internet search found that Auroras appear to be the Chinese knockoffs. Heck, here's a guy that doesn't even try to hide that he's got a ripoff clone. https://www.facebook.com/DegenLedOffRoadLighting?ref=stream One year warranty vs. lifetime for Rigid which I think says a lot about the manufacturer standing behind their product.

I know dollars speak volumes, and Rigids are way pricey, but you wanted some research so here you go.

rascole

Not to knock Rigid but when I had a warranty issue, I paid for shipping to/from for a scratched lens. They would not send a replacement or let me send in the lens. The whole light had to be sent in. That ticked me off. But with most LED manufactures, they are just assemblers. Like Dell and computers, they assemble other peoples technology. I have tried pretty hard to find Rigids patents other than "Optics". They don't make the Cree diodes, they don't extrude the housing, and I will check the PCB when I get it tomorrow, but drivers are a dime a dozen. I will run amperage test tomorrow, lights are here so by this time tomorrow I will have pics and test results.

evldave

I don't know about these particular lights but many of the Rigid clones are Chinese knockoffs and end up being patent fights for Rigid. It was amazing the amount of **** being marketed at SEMA that was nothing more than a ripoff of US intellectual property.

These lights may of course not fall into that category and I hope they work well for you.

Quick Internet search found that Auroras appear to be the Chinese knockoffs. Heck, here's a guy that doesn't even try to hide that he's got a ripoff clone. https://www.facebook.com/DegenLedOffRoadLighting?ref=stream One year warranty vs. lifetime for Rigid which I think says a lot about the manufacturer standing behind their product.

I know dollars speak volumes, and Rigids are way pricey, but you wanted some research so here you go.

A lot of this may be how Rigid is setting up their patents - looking at their site, it looks like the Optics are what they are focused on...not on the specific parts used in their products (I also notice they say 'assembled in the US'). There's a good chance a lot of their parts are manufactured in China like many of their knockoff competitors (probably at the same factory). What sets Rigid apart is (1) their warranty, and (2) their optics. Anyone who knows LED knows the optics and lenses are what makes a high quality product.

I'd be curious to see if the optics of the knockoff brands are the same or different?

For some people, the lower quality optics are a tradeoff in lower prices. I can't afford any of this stuff, but if I was in the market, I'd have to seriously compare the difference in lighting between Rigid and the other brands to see if they were worth the premium...

amrg

I've read yesterday on tacomaforums that those are exact knockoffs to rigid industries LEDs, and rigids are fighting them over the lenses, which seem to be the main issue. One of the sellers on that forum claimed that he would remove the lenses and replace them with others just so that he wouldn''t infringe on Rigid's patents.

here is a link to their discussion: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/197438-led-light-bar-sale-3.html

Last edited:

Ron46

Capt.
My friend at offroadledbars gives lifetime warranties and stands by his bars 100%. He also has extremely good prices! I have 7 different bars from him now, 4 are on the 65ft fishing boat and they are all extremely bright and have had no problems!

rascole

Well, got the LEDs and quickly did a tear down. You be the judge but from my expert opinion Rigid is assembling their lights and adding their optics. PCB is a straight forward design with common drivers and resistors. Everything is interchangeable. In my opinion the Aurora has better light distribution.
20130509_051455.jpg
20130508_165330.jpg
20130508_165313.jpg
20130508_165347.jpg
20130508_165227.jpg
20130508_170616.jpg

rascole

Rigid PCB - 20130508_170032.jpg

Aurora PCB - 20130508_170036.jpg

Rigid amp draw - 20130508_202412.jpg

Aurora amp draw - 20130508_202203.jpg

Rigid light pattern - 20130508_202534.jpg

Aurora light pattern - 20130508_202657.jpg Much better than picture shows, nice wide pattern at 200', little wasted light.
I find it funny that even the heat shrink on both lights are the same. What are the odds?

LoJac963

well really same thing as OBX copying all the name brand headers out there. A product similar in construction but for a fraction of the price. Most of the time those so called "knock off" products are of the same quality as the name brand. As mentioned most US based companies don't manufacture anything, they simply assemble the pieces bought from overseas.

amrg

how much do those "Aurora" LEDs cost? Would they withstand the carnage the RIGIDS are advertised to withstand?

frumaker

how much do those "Aurora" LEDs cost? Would they withstand the carnage the RIGIDS are advertised to withstand?

You can find the aurora lights on eBay. Their websites provides the same kind of video as rigid showing the tests they put them through. They seem 100% identical.

FRU

rascole

The housing is identical, the dimensions are the same ALL the way around. 100% the same.
The lights that are the same as the D2's are $56 but $65 with shipping. I didn't place the order, a friend from work did a group buy and he had extras. He bought them direct from Aurora, but he says there is a min order of 10 pieces.
He has had his Auroras on for over a year, right along next to his Rigid Duallys. They have seen the same punishment of high speed racing. What we do with the lights pale in comparison. I don't think I've ever been over 35 mph in the desert.

rascole

Same company and Vivi is the girl my friend dealt with. I have a copy of the price list if some one wants it, I don't want to load a large file here.

frumaker

I got my aurora lights in and they seem awesome. I have them mounted and dropped my hummer off so they could be wired professionally and added in to my existing wiring.

I will post once I get it back. I am also doing some night wheeling this weekend so I will be able to test them on the trails!

FRU

SolidusJ

I got my aurora lights in and they seem awesome. I have them mounted and dropped my hummer off so they could be wired professionally and added in to my existing wiring.

I will post once I get it back. I am also doing some night wheeling this weekend so I will be able to test them on the trails!

FRU

Can't wait to see the set up in person and we can have a side by side comparison when I get all the LED's on and onto the new switch deck.

922872_10200351210000957_1303413747_n.jpg1016288_10200535265122220_736873713_n.jpg

frumaker

Wasn't able to get any pics of the lights while wheeling but they are refocus oust bright. The 4 2" lights make it look like daytime

FRU

Kurt

I picked up the D2 6 Light Rigid Wide lights last week and tested them out on pismo, for wides they blew away my lightforce strikers and my headlamps, I'll have have to pick up the Trucklite LED lamps and get the HID upgrade kit for my lightforce.

Bill Wu showed up with his Duramax HMMWV with about 10 grand worth of rigid lights on the front, rear and sides and man he lit up half of pismo beach driving down the coast Saturday night :D

Kyle

I picked up the D2 6 Light Rigid Wide lights last week and tested them out on pismo, for wides they blew away my lightforce strikers and my headlamps, I'll have have to pick up the Trucklite LED lamps and get the HID upgrade kit for my lightforce.

Bill Wu showed up with his Duramax HMMWV with about 10 grand worth of rigid lights on the front, rear and sides and man he lit up half of pismo beach driving down the coast Saturday night :D

Didnt his wheel fall off tho! Lol i was the one that drove back to camp and had everyone get the other h1s lol

Sent from the top of a mountain in my h3