• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

VA - GWNF - Strasburg Reservoir + Trout fishing

ArtHummer

Looking at some maps and Google satellite images here is what I found.

It is a NE of the GWNF. The target to reach is the Strasburg Reservoir that might have some Trout fishing in it.
The road that I mapped out start at Edinburg Gap Road (675) up the Powell Mountain Trail, then on to Mine Mountain Road and on to the F66... The trip is 15 miles and the Powell Mountain Trail is the hardest part for about 8 miles long, we will have to be careful not to end-up on the ATV trail (If you interested to make it longer we can ether scout some roads in the Mine Road Area, or start the trip at the FR374 and adding extra 5 miles)

The end point Strasburg Reservoir
Strasburg Reservoir was once a water supply impoundment for the Town of Strasburg in the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests, on the Massanutten Ridge near Signal Knob. Recently Strasburg has allowed VDGIF, James Madison University (JMU) Chemistry Department, and George Washington and Jefferson National Forests to experiment with fisheries management in this impoundment, which is now open to angling. Initial evaluations and water quality samples demonstrated that the lake was acidic and had an in-flowing stream (Little Passage Creek); only pumpkinseed sunfish were present. The water quality also revealed marginal potential trout habitat in the reservoir.
Since 1995, VDGIF has been evaluating the potential for trout management in our fingerling trout-stocking program. JMU and VDGIF have monitored water quality during the same time period. Fingerling brook trout were stocked in the fall 1995-2001. Gill netting has been used to evaluate trout summertime holdover and severity of acidic conditions. In 2000, a few holdover brook trout were collected, indicating that the lake has potential to possibly provide a trout fishery. In 1997 and 2000, limestone sand was applied to Little Passage Creek upstream of the Strasburg Reservoir to correct water acidity. This was successful in raising pH levels in the reservoir to levels acceptable to trout. VDGIF is currently evaluating other fisheries management options including trout and other warm water species, while still studying the fingerling trout stocking. Therefore, fingerling brook trout will be stocked annually.

P2210029.jpg

20050604-mg04.jpg

highres_11299960.jpeg

Last edited:

supersapper-rpm

"The Dude"
Been up there hiking many times before. Great spot. Short hike up to signal knob too, with awesome views of the valley. Your right there may be some decent trout up there since they have worked to lower the acidity of the res. with limestone sand for a while now. When you planing to go? I'm only a few miles from there. Let me know. Thanks for posting it up!

ArtHummer

I'm not sure about the time. My son was asking me to go fishing and my wife wanted to go for a hiking trip. So I was thinking, how can I mix what everyone wanted in one trip and somewhere locally. The problem is my wife has classes on weekends and she will be upset if I will go without here. And my son has to go to school on Saturday until 12.
But maybe, I will be able to get out on Sunday with my son for a "fishing trip" and since it is close by we don't need to plan month in advance.

BTW... Do you know if the trout is any good for eating in this pond? Usually, the fish in the small ponds tastes kind of funky.

supersapper-rpm

"The Dude"
Yes, you can eat any fish you get out of the res. It is very clean due to being up on the mountain like it is. Not many people go up there or even know its there. The trout may start to head from the res. to the creek as it gets hotter out, they like the cold water and shady spots, so the mouth of the creek that feeds the res. might be a good spot to try. I have some friends flying in to go whitewater rafting in WV this weekend, but if you ever want someone to go with you just in case you get stuck or break something Id be happy to tag along. Mostly fire roads out there so that is unlikely, but if you do have an issue and are out there solo let me know and I can come pull you out or whatever.

:cheers: Also, not sure if you need a "trout stamp" and/or natl' forrest stamp in addition to your fishing licence, some places do, some don't. I've always gotten them all when I get my license so I've never checked. Keep us posted on your adventures out there!

MtnRsqDawg

This looks awesome, haven't been there (yet). Like Rich, I have company coming in this weekend so that won't work :( Might be able to squeeze something in the first weekend in June but then the rest of the month is already spoken for. No worries though, there's still July...August...September...etc. etc.

supersapper-rpm

"The Dude"
One more thing to add about GWNF trails such as Powell Mountain trail (ran it last fall). They DO require a day pass that can be purchased through local vendors near the trail heads. From the USDA website: "Off-highway vehicles (OHVs), all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), utility vehicles (UTVs) and unlicensed motorbikes are restricted to use on designated trails only. Every operator of an ATV, UTV, 4-wheel drive vehicle, motorcycle or motorbike on trails and roads designated within the Peters Mill Run/Taskers Gap OHV complex in Shenandoah County and all operators of ATVs, motorbikes and mountain bikes on the South Pedlar ATV Trail in Amherst County must possess and display a permit. Permits cost $5 for a daily permit, $12 for a 3-day permit (must be used on a visit of 3 consecutive days) or $30 for an annual permit. Permits are available from authorized vendors and from the Lee Ranger District Office and the Glenwood-Pedlar Office. For a list of locations where you can purchase special recreation permits for these two trail systems, go to: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/passes-permits/?cid=fsbdev3_000477

Also I called the ranger station yesterday to ask if one could still drive up to the Strasburg res as trails are opened and closed during different times of year and for other reasons such as damage or misuse. Their answer was "I dunno?" I kid you not-they really said that. An ATV rider was just recently convicted of damaging fed property for going off trail, so I just wanted to confirm for you that its still accessible. I was able to confirm by actually driving out to Edinburg Gap just now that Powell mountain trail and the trail that goes south from Taskers Gap are open. Im not completely sure about FR66 but it is likely open because "they dunno" meaning they don't have something in front of them telling them otherwise I'm assuming.

:cheers:

Last edited:

MtnRsqDawg

That's rigth - nearly forgot about those revenue generating day passes I read about not too long ago. I'll have to pick up one for the year as I plan to get out an about much more after next month.

ArtHummer

Thank for info, now I want to go even more...
That road system that is south of Taskers Gap looks complicated. Do you think I will get in a lot of problem if I will end up on the ATV trail? I can tell them I'm lost.

And thank for info on the permit. I probably just purchase for the whole year, that way I don't have to worry about it next time I go.

supersapper-rpm

"The Dude"
Its not complicated for OHV because you can only go straight and the trails are marked pretty well. There are some obstacles where the trails intersect that are grey areas and generally acceptable for use, sometimes a small clearing will be seen on satellite photos. As far as driving on the ATV trails I guess if they don't see you (or actually believe you are lost) they wont ticket you but I wouldn't want to get busted or broken down on one esp. in a HUMMER & esp. with my kid because they will get pissed, and your wallet will get lighter and they will use it as a brick in the wall to close it forever. The short of it is-I wouldnt do it, there is plenty to explore without a court date.

:cheers:

Last edited: