• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

the Marauder!

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
I like that video, although I've seen it before.

3Hummers, when you go to write out the check, the conversion of the $300,000 British pounds is $468,367.20 USD. You might have to trade in a couple of H1's. Then you'll actually be 3hummers + 1Marauder. :)

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wouldn't get rid of anything to get it. Doubt I would even really want one but who knows. I would like to see one and maybe drive it. ( and that is how it always starts )

Kurt

This is reason enough for Oskkosh to release the *cough* civilian MATV that hummech raced down in Baja.

Simplify it down and dump the experimental hybrid stuff and someone will buy it. :D

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
In that case, just go to Oshkosh Defense and get their TAC-4 suspension upgrade for one of your H1's.

HMMWV_TAK4_SS_6-13-11.jpg

Here are some of the benefits, 17 inch ground clearance, 14 inches of independent wheel travel, 46% improvement in braking, gross vehicle weight rating increased to 18,000 lbs.

Here is the before and after shot.
HMMWV_TAK4_6-13-11.jpg

Ron B

In that case, just go to Oshkosh Defense and get their TAC-4 suspension upgrade for one of your H1's.

HMMWV_TAK4_SS_6-13-11.jpg

Here are some of the benefits, 17 inch ground clearance, 14 inches of independent wheel travel, 46% improvement in braking, gross vehicle weight rating increased to 18,000 lbs.

Here is the before and after shot.
HMMWV_TAK4_6-13-11.jpg

love to know the real skinny on this suspension and see an example of the travel doubled when it sits at the same height (with bigger tires even). Saw this mod a while back but never really looked closely at it -- looks like they lost the geared hubs. My impression was that the cost was outrageous per truck to upgrade.

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
love to know the real skinny on this suspension and see an example of the travel doubled when it sits at the same height (with bigger tires even). Saw this mod a while back but never really looked closely at it -- looks like they lost the geared hubs. My impression was that the cost was outrageous per truck to upgrade.

Ron; I'm not sure why you say it sits at the same height. The picture I provided above shows that it sits significantly higher. They did not eliminate the portals (geared hubs) the brochure claims 4.553:1 hub reduction.

That would be cool but costs about the same as a spare Hummer I think.

The Oshkosh TAC-4 upgrade is part of Oshkosh's bid for the up armored HMMWV recapitalization program. There are four competing approaches and a winner won't be selected for a few months. I believe Oshkosh has the best suspension solution, but the hardest part of this program is the armor or making it affordable. The Up Armor Recap will increase the armor protection to be comparable to the MRAP, rebuild/replace the engine and replace the suspension and braking system to support the increase in weight. The suspension upgrade is a small part of the Up Armor Racap, which is estimated to cost in the $160K to $180K. If you assumed the suspension and brakes were 25% to 33% that would put it around $40K to $60K range. Although I would agree this is a lot of money, I think it is less than a spare H1. More like the cost of a spare H3.

Kurt

The Oshkosh upgrade includes a new frame/chassis and a 6 cylinder inline diesel from the 7-ton/m-atv so it's definitely in the 100-150k range.

A GEP 6.5 turbodiesel is going to struggle pushing those wheels around.

LagunaH1

I'll admit to not having really researched this but it *does* look like the geared hubs are gone in the photos of the Oshkosh H1. The 4.x:1 ratio mentioned above also is very different than the 1.9:1 -ish ratio in the H1's.

Last edited:

Ron B

Ron; I'm not sure why you say it sits at the same height. The picture I provided above shows that it sits significantly higher. They did not eliminate the portals (geared hubs) the brochure claims 4.553:1 hub reduction.

look at the ground clearance -- it is almost identical and it uses way bigger tires -- I think you said 17", which is stock height for the h1 on 37's. It also looks like the halfshafts come in at the center of the wheel -- where on the humvee/hummer geared hubs are 4" to 5" above the center.