PDA

View Full Version : Gun-related deaths significantly lower than 20 years ago, study finds

deserth3
05-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Interesting read.
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=25100645&nid=757&title=gun-related-deaths-significantly-lower-than-20-years-ago-study-finds&fm=home_page&s_cid=queue-3

Here's a link to the study at Pew;
http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/05/07/gun-homicide-rate-down-49-since-1993-peak-public-unaware/

SALT LAKE CITY — Gun-related murders have dropped by nearly half since the early 1990s, according to a new study released by the Pew Research Center (http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/05/07/gun-homicide-rate-down-49-since-1993-peak-public-unaware/).
The report comes on the heels of legislators around the country attempting to pass legislation to combat the proliferation of so-called "assault weapons" in the hands of American citizens. Lawmakers cite the tragic shootings in Aurora, Colo. and Newtown, Conn. as recent example of why firearms need to be more regulated.
The report shows that gun-related deaths were highest in 1993, where there were approximately seven deaths per 100,000 Americans. The rate significantly dropped to 3.8 deaths per 100,000 by 2000, and continues to fall, dropping to 3.6 deaths per 100,000 in 2010.
"Compared with 1993," the report states, "the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation's population grew." The study also found that violent crimes involving a firearm also decreased, seeing a 75 percent drop in crimes.
Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation's population grew.
–Pew study

"The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm — assaults, robberies and sex crimes — was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993," the report says. "Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades."
The rates dropped most in the late ‘90s, as lawmakers passed federal legislation — Federal Assault Weapons Ban — in 1994 to prohibit the purchasing of semi-automatic firearms. The ban, however, expired in 2004 and there has been no increase in gun-related deaths, according to the study.
"Looking back 50 years, the U.S. gun homicide rate began rising in the 1960s, surged in the 1970s, and hit peaks in 1980 and the early 1990s," the study says. "The plunge in homicides after that meant that firearm homicide rates in the late 2000s were equal to those not seen since the early 1960s.
"The sharp decline in the U.S. gun homicide rate, combined with a slower decrease in the gun suicide rate, means that gun suicides account for six-in-10 firearms deaths," the study continues, "the highest share since at least 1981."
Despite the recent attention of gun-related deaths, and the nationwide attempts to curb the sale of semi-automatic firearms and high capacity magazines, Pew found that many Americans are unaware of the lower crime rates. In a recent survey, Pew found that 56 percent of Americans believe gun crime is higher than 20 years ago. They found that only 12 percent of Americans believed gun crimes were lower. Nevertheless, mass shootings are still a public concern, and deserve attention. However, Pew found that such violent acts were a "relatively small share of shootings overall."

chad
05-08-2013, 08:09 PM
its true but its all how the media makes it look, they are breeding people and kids in school to be anti gun! its stupid it all comes down to haveing morals, properly raised by PARENTS not video games, (i dont think games are the reason its lack of social life and parenting, not social life on a computer or phone either) and being responsible. and making it easier for drugs ie making marijuana legal and banning high cap mags is a wrong direction. but what do i know i'm just a conservative redneck insensitive biggot to a democrap.

SkinGripz
05-08-2013, 08:29 PM
I've been busy doing other things for a bit.... ;)

"If at first you dont succeed, come back with a big damn stick". -My Dad
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oltorf The Destroyer
07-28-2013, 05:19 PM
I took a sociology class as an elective in college a few years back, and the crime rate in this country has been dropping steadily for years. I think the peak was in the early 80s. Anyways, the crime rate today is equivalent to what it was int he 50s or 60s, believe it or not. They haven't figured out exactly why it's dropping, but it is. Theories range from legalization of abortion to removing lead from paint.

It's ridiculous to me that the gun control crowd wants to make ARs illegal so bad when gun crimes, and crime in general is dropping. On top of that, ARs are used in a fraction of a percent of crimes. I don't understand it. They're all about freedom over security when it comes to government spying, but not when it comes to guns. it makes as much sense as criticizing the right for being pro death penalty and anti abortion (damn right I support execution of criminals and protection of babies!!!).

The few mass shootings that use rifles are committed by people that are certifiably insane. Why not add psychological checks to the background check system instead of making the guns illegal? Every single one of the mass shooters in the news recently were diagnosed with severe mental illnesses (even the UT shooter, Whitman, in the 60s had a brain tumor that affected his sanity). I got into it with a superlib friend and her response was that "mental health is a moving target." No. No it's not a moving target at all. All of these people were diagnosed with severe problems, several of their psychiatrists tried to report them as dangerous but had no way to do it. The Giffords shooter even got kicked out of school and was told he couldn't come back until he was certified sane by a psychiatrist.

It's mind boggling to me that they want to take our freedoms away, when it's obvious that it won't have any affect on the crime rate.

3Hummers
07-28-2013, 05:37 PM
And there are probably 5 times as many guns as there were then.

f5moab
07-28-2013, 06:57 PM
http://youtu.be/84ptFVq22PY