• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Got my HF fix this weekend

LagunaH1

This past Saturday, we went up to Big Bear with the FT-2000 and hung some wires from the tall trees there. I was able to get the antenna to form a somewhat rectangular "loop" antenna of roughly 60 meters total wire length. I fed the antenna in one corner with a tuner. Using this setup I was able to work stations in Italy, Australia and New Zealand on just 100 watts. The setup easily tuned up on 10 - 80 meters and worked very well in general, in part due to the very nicely low noise level in Big Bear.

:)

Zach

Mall Crawler
All I understood was Big Bear and talking with people in Australia and New Zealand. Lol. I talk to Australia all the time. Haha. Glad you had fun Mikkel. I need to get into Ham apparently

LagunaH1

...and about half an hour ago I was able to reach Ukraine...... It was tough... may have to get an amplifier in the truck..... 200 watts is better than 100....

cbetts

NERD!!!
Awesome stuff! I would like to get into radio but I have two expensive hobbies already.

You need to do the Bishop run with us, Mikkel. There are some awesome, low-noise areas on top of the mountains that you would thoroughly enjoy with your radio.

abearden

Awesome stuff! I would like to get into radio but I have two expensive hobbies already.

You need to do the Bishop run with us, Mikkel. There are some awesome, low-noise areas on top of the mountains that you would thoroughly enjoy with your radio.
It doesn't have to be expensive. Test is $15 and you can get a decent handheld or mobile setup for under $200. Just don't get into long-range HF unless it's a QRP. :D