• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Dana 44 ABS hubs...

4speedfunk

So you want a solid axle in your H3? Grab a GM Dana 44...grab on of these kits...and start cutting!

These hubs come with ABS rings pre-installed and caliper brackets that allow you to bolt your H3 brakes to the Dana 44 of your choice. The brackets accept stock ABS sensors, and the 12mm studs even allow you to keep your stock rotors and lug-nuts. Don't do a hack-job! Don't settle for 70s-era brakes! Keep your ABS, TCS, and Stabilitrac functioning. I have several sets available in large and small bearing versions. For use with GM/Jeep spindles. $400 (including $50 core for 6-lug hubs).

THORparts hubs 001.JPG

4speedfunk

True. Now if we can just get some of these H3 guys to scatter their stock IFS's all over the trail, and break out the torches...we can get some company! Its lonely out here is SAS-land!

4speedfunk

Careful what you wish for! -haha

If you wheel as much as you do...it's only a matter of time! Don't intentionally grenade your AAM-7 until you at least have a D44 tucked away in your garage. Might be a good idea to get all your brackets and steering system ahead of time too. If you plan to re-gear...go ahead and get your matching ring & pinion for the 8.6" rear too. All of these items will be needed when the time comes, and anything you can do ahead of time will save you some frustrations. Its never a smooth transition from IFS to SA...you're truck will be down for at least a week, even if you have all this stuff....over a month if you don't.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Seeing its my DD I would need everything ahead of time. I may snag a set just have seeing it may be a year or two it explodes and who knows if these will be around by then

jakesz28

I thought I would be cutting mine apart already. But it drove 1250 miles I wheeled it for 7 days and drove it another 1250 miles to come home. Only damage was the cp undercarriage protection got pushed closer to the transmission.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Chris, this is something you need to start slowly gathering in your garage as 4speed suggested. Spread the cost out over a year or two.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Thats the plan, There is no way in hell I could dish out all the money at once. I will start accumulating parts slowly. Goal is 4.56 geared D44 to avoid regearing right away then copy the front suspension CJ has. He has had less ride quality complaints then the coilover T I saw last weekend. I have a few other ideas but it will be a process. Kind of like starting with the stock H3, things will slowly be changed and added.

I have always like airbags, way before I knew what the scorpion was. After seeing air bags in action I would love to run some.

Who knows, by the time I get all the parts it will be over a year out from now and by then we may have more IFS upgraded parts and it wont be needed. What ever direction I go i'm sure I will have fun with the modification process, I always do.

4speedfunk

Ah ha! Now I see what those brackets were for
Yup...this is them after some additional machining. We'll be making some minor dimensional adjustments on the next batch...I'll let you know when the time comes. I thought I would pitch a few of em and see how much action I get. These are not listed on the THORparts website, and I really want some input from other SAS guys before I make them in any large quantities. I think H3 owners & modifications are in a transitional stage right now. Original owners are selling off and newbs are buying up used ones and putting em on the trails. Price and odometer readings are approaching the point where the SAS is becoming a more realistic option for a lot of off-roaders. Its a big undertaking but, the results are worth it.

this is something you need to start slowly gathering in your garage...Spread the cost out over a year or two.
Absolutely. I can put together a complete SAS kit in a box. But, I don't think anyone would buy it due to the "lump sum price". I am all about low-buck, and buiding it like alrock says allows you to add to your parts pile as funds become available, instead of dropping thousands at one time.

Last edited:

silvrzuki77

Looks awesome!!! You stated there is a large bearing versus small? Is this depending on which axle you use?

4speedfunk

Sort of. Rather than bore the hell out of everyone with a break-down of GM Dana 44s'...I'll just say that the 3/4-ton (8-lug) version is the best one to build up. They have larger-bearing spindles, big 3" tubes, and big beefy shafts. These are commonly called "Dana 44 HD" axles, and that name implies they are something special. In reality...they came in all 3/4-ton GM trucks & Suburbans...hardly rare or worthy of a HD moniker.

If you have a 1/2-ton GM Dana 44, the story gets more complicated. Before 77...these axles used small-bearing spindles, smaller 2.75" tubes, and wimpy shafts. After 77...most of the 1/2-ton axles were upgraded with big-tubes, shafts, and bearings...essentially becoming a 6-lug version of the heavier-duty 3/4-ton axle. I say "most" because not all 1/2-ton trucks got the upgrades. Post 77 Suburbans always have the big tubes, and post 77 Blazers almost always have the small tubes up until 81 or so. So after 77...there is very little difference between the 3/4t and 1/2t Dana 44 axles...especially if it came from a Suburban. If you have an early 1/2-ton Dana...don't panic. The shafts and spindles can both be upgraded to the later style parts. The only thing that can't be upgraded is the small axle tubes. True...bigger is better but there's nothing wrong with using a small-tube, early Dana 1/2-ton housing. I've got one in my H3 right now.

Regardless of your axle...I have ABS hubs (and spindles, if needed) to fit either the small or large bearing rig. There's technically nothing wrong with the small-bearing rig...its just a tad more scarce because they only made them for the first 3-years. Any and all parts will interchange from 3/4t to 1/2t versions, and they are the same width housing. Here's the two spindles side by side...

3613D44Spin.JPG

Last edited:

silvrzuki77

Hey thanks for the info!! Sorry I didnt respond earlier but I appreciate it. Once i get a few projects done and i find a axle I will be ordering a kit!

silvrzuki77

Will got a axle yesterday lol really random. It was in a show truck 2002 chevy 1500 with no driveshaft hooked up too it. Soo not sure the year, 6 lug, horrible homemade high steer arm on it, and its even painted shiny blue with a chrome diff cover. As soon as i finish the Teardrop i will pick up a kit from you just to have.

4speedfunk

That sounds sufficiently gay! If it was rolling under a 2002 Silverado, it would most likely be a drivers-side drop. In which case...you're sort of screwed putting it into an H3. Shoot me a pic and I'll tell you what you got...and where to go from there.

p.s. How's the trailer build?

silvrzuki77

Sorry did confirm it was a 2wd chevy with a 10" lift it's a passenger drop. Not my first rodeo lol. Even has a custom 1/8th plate box high steer arm lol. Least i know the axle wasnt beat on! Ill post a pic in all of its blueness tomorrow.

Trailer moving aling finishing the hatch partly tomorrow

Last edited:

silvrzuki77

Lol where did you see a pic of that? I miss that rig!! My dad bought it brand new in 88 and I ruined it lol.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Lol where did you see a pic of that? I miss that rig!! My dad bought it brand new in 88 and I ruined it lol.

I saw a pic of it a while ago. Didn't you post one when u joined up or something? Andrew also told me about it, you linked it and set it up really nice.

Sounds like I'm heading down the same road as you, my dad bought new in 05 leased it for a few years then bought it out slowly wheeling the piss out of it.

Not sure where to stop though....keep going and just try to keep it in good condition and fix damage or basically make it into a buggy

4speedfunk

Looks like a 73-77 small-tube? Same thing I'm currently running.

P.S. Flat top...check.
High-steer arm...check.
Cast cover...check.

Nice find. To check the gearing...simply rotate the yoke and count the number of yoke turns it takes to complete one full turn of the rotors. Most likely its a 3.08 or 3.73.

I'm currently working a 3-link bracket kit for this housing. It will locate all the attachment points to take the guesswork out of mounting it in an H3. It will include (axle) the lower link mounts, spring pads, upper link tower, and track-bar mount. Additionally I can provide (frame) lower link mounts, upper link mount, inboard track-bar mount, coil-spring buckets, link-arms, track-bar, and coil springs. This stuff (along with the ABS hubs) would be everything you need to build your own SA front suspension. Steering system, shocks, brake lines, and other minor items would still need to be tracked down but at least these parts would get your H3 back on the ground with minimal downtime and head-scratching.

Last edited: