• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Power Steering Issue

cbetts

NERD!!!
Okay, I have a quicky question for y'all . . .

I have recently gone through my entire steering system. It has new rack, pump and hoses.

Upon returning from an off road run this weekend, My steering was growling pretty loud. I noticed it a little when making turns on the way home but was more noticeable when backing into my garage. I decided to take the truck to work this morning. Steering seemed fine. I could turn from lock to lock with no growling. I went ahead and drove to work (roughly ten miles in LA traffic). I backed into my usual parking spot and got the growling back.

My first instinct is to check fluid level. It was fine. I am assuming the pump is going out already.

Opinions?

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
You're diagnostics sounds correct. I would also say it sounds like the pump is about to go. The H3 keeps working even if its making noise until I finally dies.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

amrg

Bumping this thread.

Did you at any point feel that there is no power steering at all? I just got back from an offroad trip yesterday and aired down I got a growling noise when turning either way. Aired up I get the same noise only at full lock. Seems to make it whenever there is resistance against the tire turning. Checked oils, everything is good.

cbetts

NERD!!!
Air pressure had nothing to do with it. The pump died. Had it towed to the shop of our very own AAMCO where he put in the pump Zach located for me.
2013-05-02_11-52-08_29.jpg

cbetts

NERD!!!
But if the pump was dying low air pressure would make the problem more noticeable.

Agreed. I hardly ever drive on asphalt with low tire pressure. I believe the few times that I have, yes, I noticed steering was difficult. Mine growled once the pump warmed up, even with proper tire pressure.

Leaving in a few minutes to go pick it up from Ant.