• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

plasma cutter help

Kyle

So my shop teacher gave me a plasma cutter to use when i need. But theres a piece broken and I've tried going to places to that sell welding supplies but i cant find this little connector. ill post a photo.

Kyle

8upujy5u.jpg

Sent from the top of a mountain in my h3

Kyle

Yep, three pieces to replace there. You all got AirGas down there? They carry the tips.

yea theres one local, what all needs to be replaced? and can you see that little brass pin on the bottom there should be another one there too but thats the piece i cant find.

ABNTROOP

HIPPO
That tip assembly should come apart into three pieces, when you look at the tip head on, the orifice in the center should be tiny otherwise it's blown out, and the screw on cap ought a have a cross groove in it. Those grooves should be clear of buildup so the gas can vent properly. As far as the screw/pin goes, look on the manufacturers web site for your model.

ABNTROOP

HIPPO
I'm guessing those pins either A hold a cap on, or b, are electrodes to carry current, but their placement is odd, and unlike what we use at work. I'm sorry, I'm unfamiliar with your particular model.

Kyle

yea they are electrodes to carry current, im thinking i can make one. Thanks for your help!! Now i can go cut some metal! MUAHAHAHA lol

Kyle

alright, and do you think if i were to make another electrical diaode like that one next to it, ill just have to replace that tip?

Kyle

Well i gave it a quick whirl, im gunna have to spend some more time on it. i made a piece that fit down the connector, but it kept popping out when i tightened down the shielding cup. and when i got it to not slip out, it wouldn't reach the connections on the shielding cup and wouldn't allow it to strike an arc. how do you use the thing, ive done it once i just connected the positive clip to the metal and then got the torch and held it close to the metal and it worked, is that all?

4speedfunk

My Thermal Dynamics will "fail" if something is amiss. It will flash a code on the "ready light" to tell you what the problem is (i.e. low air pressure, bad ground, etc.).

Kyle

My Thermal Dynamics will "fail" if something is amiss. It will flash a code on the "ready light" to tell you what the problem is (i.e. low air pressure, bad ground, etc.).

this ones from harbor freight, its super basic lol it has an on and off switch and a trigger on the torch handle. i still have to go over to airgas and see if they are going to have that part. if not im just going to try again to make my own electrode for that connection.