• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Big Bear snow run Feb 23,2013

Zach

Mall Crawler
We finally got a chance to do a snow run for So Cal. We had three of us for the run Jrwid, H3-ING and myself. We covered a lot of ground and trails, more than we ever have before. We started off from the Discovery center about 9:45. As soon as we turned off the main highway we hit snow.
DSC01621.jpg

We headed down the road to the fire trails where we picked up to Toyota 4runners from Expedition Portal. Rob had talked to them before hand. They decided to run with us for most of the day. We headed down headed towards John Bull, apparently I made a wrong turn on one of the trails and put us on one we haven't done before. Whoops! Hard to tell the trails with all the snow. We ended up heading back down the road to the extension to John Bull.
DSC01626.jpg

We decided to air down at this point since the were no tracks on the trail and fresh powder. It was definitely a blast being the first one through it
DSC01628.jpg

DSC01630.jpg

The extension was a pretty fun section. Towards the top It is pretty rocky, luckily most of the rocks were showing. On the way down the hill it was a different story. Nature pretty much took it's course on the way down, somewhat of a sideways slide. We opted not to run back up this trail because of it.
Jrwid in his nicely built bad ass Jeep
DSC01633.jpg

DSC01634.jpg

H3-ING
DSC01636.jpg

DSC01637.jpg

Toyota
DSC01638.jpg

DSC01639.jpg

DSC01642.jpg

Made it to the Gate Keeper. We were taking a poll to see who was going to try going up it. Joke

DSC01644.jpg

DSC01645.jpg

One of the only pics of my truck since I was leading most of the day. Poser shot in the snow
DSC01646.jpg

From the Gate Keeper we headed back down the fire road. H3-ING had to take off. The rest of us headed down Jacoby Canyon. Once we got to the end of it we decided to run back up it instead of taking the highway. After running Jacoby Canyon up and down it was about 12:30. So we decided to run Gold Mountain the back way. It was a fun climb up it and a ton of snow. my traction control got a hard work out climbing.
Here's Serge's transfer case hill
DSC01648.jpg

DSC01649.jpg

DSC01650.jpg

DSC01651.jpg

Once we got back to the highway. The two guys from Expedition Portal decided to call it a day. Sorry, I forgot their names. They had a blast running with us and said they were looking forward to running with us again. From there, seeing it was only 2 o'clock. John and I decided to run back up Gold Mountain. On the way down, we had passed a truck sitting off to the side. It was kinda of weird. On the way up, the truck wasn't there anymore. After climbing up part way, we ran into him going at a very slow rate of speed. After about ten minutes he pulled over and let us buy.

DSC01654.jpg

John at the ledge. He decided to take the center line. After stacking some rocks, we got him up it
DSC01655.jpg

The section right after the Ledge, It took a few attempts for me to get up, It was a little slippery. John came up it with ease
DSC01656.jpg

DSC01657.jpg

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like a really fun day. The gateKeeper looked pretty benign with all the snow. Must have been 12-18" deep there based on the apparent size of the rocks.

Expendable

dang! I'd love to do a snow run. haven't done one in a long time. in due time in due time.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Zach

Mall Crawler
Great pics. I bet those ledges were a bit more challenging with that layer of mud and snow.

It definitely was a lot more challenging. That tippy section leading up to John Bull had even more pucker with the sideways slide down it