• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

OnStar tracking your GPS location after you cancel service

delta88

Taint Licker
So this is kind of freaky :

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/09/onstar-tracks-you/

I'm thinking of pulling the onstar fuse on my H3, has anyone tried doing this already?

At one point I found an article on how to pull GPS co-ords off the on-star GPS and feed it into software such as google earth. But if OnStar is going to nark on me I would rather disable it altogether and seek another GPS solution..

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Honestly, I doubt if Onstar is tracking you. Hell, you can be tracked without onstar if you use a CC.

But yes, just pull the fuse and it will kill the module. The BCM might store a code about the loss of communication with the Onstar module, but not a big item.

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
I was hearing about that, but no one cna be to sure unless you are one of the people for onstar. Otherwise i highly doubt it like F5. Does seem interesting though:)

delta88

Taint Licker
Yeah and you know google maps does the same thing, if you ever have 10-15 minutes read the EULA. When you scroll past all that fine print and press I AGREE you're letting them have access to your coords, photos and other personal information. It's a shame because I like to embrace these apps and safety features. But they're mining your data and looking at raunchy wife pictures on your cell phone too! :emb:

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Yeah and you know google maps does the same thing, if you ever have 10-15 minutes read the EULA. When you scroll past all that fine print and press I AGREE you're letting them have access to your coords, photos and other personal information. It's a shame because I like to embrace these apps and safety features. But they're mining your data and looking at raunchy wife pictures on your cell phone too! :emb:

Make sure to state they own the photos if you post them on GE; your post makes it sound like they can grab photos and info off your computer. They cannot get into your computer and get your photos or id, and as for coordinates; who cares? Just like onstar. Maybe those who are paranoid should disconnect their black box under the console, since if you get into an accident, the cops can now download the info and use it against you, or you can use it for you, in case of an accident.

delta88

Taint Licker
Make sure to state they own the photos if you post them on GE; your post makes it sound like they can grab photos and info off your computer. They cannot get into your computer and get your photos or id, and as for coordinates; who cares? Just like onstar. Maybe those who are paranoid should disconnect their black box under the console, since if you get into an accident, the cops can now download the info and use it against you, or you can use it for you, in case of an accident.

The EULA for google maps (at least on my blackberry app) does say they can view pictures saved on the phone and share them with 3rd parties, so that fine print is by far more disturbing than anything I've seen. You're right.. who cares about the GPS coords. Unless you're a drug runner or habitual offender it's not a big deal to me personally. Though you make a good point about using the data against you.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Maybe on your BB, but like to see how they will do that on a PC. And not sure they can see my photos on my phone, I have a firewall on that too.

And do you have a copy of the BB EULA. I do not remember reading on my Android copy anything about them being able to see my photos. Might be there. I'll be interested to read it.

And no wife photos...got rid of that problem many moons ago.

Last edited:

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
I've got nothing to hide, so I really don't care. As long as they are only selling anonymous tracking data I'm in favor of better traffic data. I hope they are storing the tracking data for my vehicle so if I fail to return from a solo trip they know where to start looking for me.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Out of curiousity, I checked the fuse box diagram in the other thread and didn't see anything for the OnStar. Is it labeled differently or are there other fuses that aren't in the box?

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
That's because you looked at the panel cover and not the wiring diagram.:)

Onstar fuse is not in the panel. Follow the circuit below the battery and you will see the Onstar FUSE HOLDER. It is located in the Red wire directly from the battery. But I forgot it also disables the digital radio:emb: (also known as XM) receiver. So, I was incorrect by saying pull the fuse, at least how it applies to all vehicles. If you are not using XM, or you have one of the few H3s without XM, or you are using a non-GM XM module (like me), you can pull the fuse. If you are using the GM XM receiver you will need to pull the box or cut the wire, or remove the wire. So, I apologize for being incorrect for some of the people.:whaa:

PowerDist1.jpg

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
f5, I'm a farm boy from the Appalachian Mountains. It's amazing that I can read at all.... a wiring diagram is pushing it. :shame:

I see it now, thanks.

JoshuaL

NEVERENDING ADDICTION
f5, I'm a farm boy from the Appalachian Mountains. It's amazing that I can read at all.... a wiring diagram is pushing it. :shame:

I see it now, thanks.

Hey man what part of the Appalachian Mountains did you live. Just curious I live at the foot hills of the Appalachian Mountains in a little town called Blue Rigde GA.

JoshuaL

DJinCO

Folks, do you really think that the people at OnStar are so bored that they are spending their days watching the people who have terminated OnStar? I heard that the "new" Facebook changes will allow people to see what is is being done on your computer in real time. The web pages, games, videos etc... That is more of an issue than OnStar.

Look out... the black helos are coming... must be from the government listening to our phone conversations...

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Hey man what part of the Appalachian Mountains did you live. Just curious I live at the foot hills of the Appalachian Mountains in a little town called Blue Rigde GA.

JoshuaL

I'm from the middle of nowhere. A little town in West Virginia named Buckhannon. Our zip code is EIEIO.

delta88

Taint Licker
Folks, do you really think that the people at OnStar are so bored that they are spending their days watching the people who have terminated OnStar? I heard that the "new" Facebook changes will allow people to see what is is being done on your computer in real time. The web pages, games, videos etc... That is more of an issue than OnStar.
Look out... the black helos are coming... must be from the government listening to our phone conversations...
DJ -- nobody here is -that- paranoid. But you should realize that when it comes to facebook, google, and now OnStar you're no longer their customer. They're using you and your information to line their pockets, kind like herding sheep and selling you off as processed meat. I think the corporate deception is down right wrong and worth pulling the fuse is my little F.U. back at them.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't remember saying that at all. My original question was about the fuse box in another thread, this thread just peaked my interest.

Having said that, I do take notice that the government labelled me a potential terrorist a few years back in a Department of Homeland Security Assessment IA-0257-09 dated April 7, 2009. I fit all of their criteria: white, conservative, male, believe in the 2nd Amendment, religious, military, Veteran. Sounds like a terrorist suspect to me!

When a government starts to target a group of its own people like that, I seem to remember reading about similar things happening in other countries not too long ago across the Atlantic. Just saying... you are free to be as paranoid or feel as secure as you choose to, of course.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Just think how well tracked I am from my gun purchases. And if they ever track ammo purchases, the black choppers will park at the front door.

We were talking about this at work today, and the Interagency Fire Chief told me that when I got my Federal ID, there was a contraception in the seat I sat in, when they fed my fingerprint info into the security system, that injected a tracking chip in my ass.:whaa: I've been scratching my ass since he said that.:giggle:

deserth3

Just think how well tracked I am from my gun purchases. And if they ever track ammo purchases, the black choppers will park at the front door.

We were talking about this at work today, and the Interagency Fire Chief told me that when I got my Federal ID, there was a contraception in the seat I sat in, when they fed my fingerprint info into the security system, that injected a tracking chip in my ass.:whaa: I've been scratching my ass since he said that.:giggle:
Then this picture is just perfect...
Picky.jpg

prc

Fly in the ointment
I'm from the middle of nowhere. A little town in West Virginia named Buckhannon. Our zip code is EIEIO.

Ah another Mountaineer!

I grew up around Wheeling/Moundsville, did a little schoolin' in Morgantown, and spent some time down in Logan...

And yes, it is West BY GOD Virginia :thumbs:

PRC

Steve #1

Stumbled across this yesterday.

[video=youtube_share;eppUz5CJA_0]http://youtu.be/eppUz5CJA_0[/video]