• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

thoughts on axe shovel mount

08H3

Consider whether you actually want them mounted on your rack. I had mine on one trip and they kept getting caught on branches. Just depends on where you're driving. If it's Moab, then catching it on trees won't be a problem (though I can't imagine why you would need an ax or shovel there anyway), but around here a collapsible shovel and ax kept inside is a better option in my opinion.

Scarsman

Sponsor
Consider whether you actually want them mounted on your rack. I had mine on one trip and they kept getting caught on branches. Just depends on where you're driving. If it's Moab, then catching it on trees won't be a problem (though I can't imagine why you would need an ax or shovel there anyway), but around here a collapsible shovel and ax kept inside is a better option in my opinion.

That is exactly why I came up with my jack mount design inside the rack. Up here I found I was rubbing my rack on tree trunks on narrow off-camber trails a lot. If my jack was on the outside I would not make it through. That and it VERY overgrown around here. Although the H2 is wide enough I can mount a full size shovel or 48" jack across the back of the rack without sticking out.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've had mine mounted up there for many trips out and haven't had this problem at all. I use the blade of the shovel to deflect everything. One good thing about the Gobi mount, you can lock it.

FJ_911_TheCliffs-James_Tire.jpg

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Couple of questions about that eBay mount:
1) Do you need to pull out tools to access the axe and shovel? Would be easier with knobs
2) How tightly is that going to cradle the handles? It looks like there's a bit of adjustment available but not much, and you're digging hard and sharp edges into your tools.

They may function fine, but those are the things I would consider before buying.

glpd74

Thanks guys. From looking at them, I don't think there are any tools required to gain access to shovel n axe. I looks like just a regular lock secures the handle down. I thought using some foam on the metal would help cradle the axe n shovel handles so there would be no gouges or noise. Add in a couple of u bolts, nuts, washers, some plasti dip or bedliner and I think that would about do it. So it would be about 100 bucks less than the gobi ones all said and done.

TJ

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
I hope you try it and post up some pics after you do! :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapataint

Reloader

Here's how I mounted my axe and shovel. I went to Graingers and got 2 sets of quik fist tool mounts and 4 3/4 split shaft collars. I them welded up 2 triangle shaped brackets and attached the collars to them with correct spacing to attach to Gobi rack rails. Quik fists are bolted to the triangle brackets. its not lockable but the axe and shovel are Menards Chi-con made and are cheap. The shovel was $10 and the axe with a fiberglass handle to match was $25. So if someone thinks they need them more than me , let them have them. I would hope they put them to good use.

20130114_214745.jpg20130114_214808.jpg20130114_214847.jpg

Attachments

• 20130114_214725.jpg
    20130114_214725.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 586