• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

AZ - Charouleau Gap trail run, Sat Feb 2

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Time to hit up Charouleau Gap again. The trail starts in Oracle, AZ and ends up on the outskirts of Tucson. Running it in winter is the best time of year as it tends to have the most water in it, making it the most fun. The deepest spot, the Car Wash, can be bypassed if necessary.

This is a medium-hard trail featuring several rock gardens but adventurous rookies can do this trail. There's an optional obstacle, the Wall, that is a good lunch spot and fun place for a few vehicles to try this obstacle. This is a full day of wheeling and temperatures could be in the 70s or the 30s. The Forest Service did some demolition on this trail a couple of years ago and while they won that battle I believe Mother Nature is winning the war, and the trail is restoring itself.

A Zip file of GPS coordinates and a Google Earth KML file is attached.View attachment Charouleau Gap.zip

Phoenix meeting place:
7 am. Starbucks at Greenfield Rd and US 60. Coming from Phx, turn right off of exit, immediately turn left and cut through QT gas station. Recommend topping off at QT, then (if necessary) filling up after the trail. :link:

Oracle meeting place
We will be in Oracle about 9 am and will regroup at the Circle K, 2000 W American Ave, Oracle, AZ :link:

We should be off the trail around 4:00-5:00 if no issues come up. But don't promise to be home for dinner

Stock Hummers can do this trail.

Requirements
No nerf/step bars
Food, water for the day
Positive attitude

Recommendations
UCP and rocker protection
Trail spares
Tools
Decent quality tires
Not worrying about minor brush scratches. Rock rash on the wheels is somewhat common.

Attendees
  1. Bigunit (Oracle)
  2. Alrock (Phoenix)
  3. ces1946 (Oracle)
  4. Ken Williams (Oracle)
  5. Josie and Jay Trapnell - 93 Wrangler (Oracle)
  6. Nick Pullen - 06 H3 (Oracle)
  7. Dave Loper, passenger
  8. Chris Barros 85 Forerunner (Oracle)
  9. Ian Abbott, H1 (Oracle)
  10. Dwaine and Mykel, Scorpion (Oracle)
  11. Jerry S. (Phoenix)
  12. Tromp, TJ, (Phoenix)

ces1946 before all of his pinstriping
Charouleau%20Gap%20022010-25-L.jpg

Jerry S. in the Car Wash
Charouleau%20Gap%20022010-28-L.jpg

One of the more challenging rock gardens. I tried bypassing this in the stream and will show you the dent in my bumper to prove it.
Charouleau%20Gap%20022010-63-L.jpg

This is the trail where I met my friend Bigunit
Charouleau%20Gap%20102310%20029-L.jpg

Charouleau%20Gap%20102310%20081-L.jpg

3Hummers conquered this trail
538357439_3dEz4-L.jpg

Last edited:

crawler

Looks like you have some Jeeps going, Just have them bring a tow strap, so they can pull you Hummer guys out.
I would like to go, I have a lower back injury and not sure it will be better by then.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Tim, thanks for recruiting all of the people. I will update the first post when I'm back on a computer (on my phone now)

Jerry S.

I'll be there too if anyone still remebers me. I need to get a new crossmember installed before the trip and I'll be ready. Looking forward to it.

Jerry S.

I'll be there too if anyone still remebers me. I need to get a new crossmember installed before the trip and I'll be ready. Looking forward to it.

crawler

I have a stock YJ with 32" street tires, no lift, dana 30 front and rear, 3.42 gears and a 4 cylinder, running on three.