• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H2 over the spare cargo rack?

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Several members of the HUMMER crowd got to see my cargo rack over the spare tire when we screamed thru Phoenix this past summer; I've seen the post where one of our guys is making them for the H3 and I'd often wondered why the 2 didn't get one until mine.

Just curious if any of you deuce owners are interested in this idea? I haven't posted pics yet because I've been wanting to get a pair of 5 gal jerry cans to complete the build, but keep spending my cash on stuff with HUMMER stamped on it--recent acquisition--two BF Goodrich (one SUT, one SUV) posters depicting H2's.

I will give you a bone and tell you one of my cans will look like this--they can be found for $99 if you surf the net.....

http://www.jcwhitney.com/trail-can-tool-box/p2032221.jcwx#

My intention when building the mount for the rack was to make it removable, I needed someplace to stick gas containers when pulling the travel trailer and this seemed like a great idea. Going with that train of thought, I created 3 mounting points with removable pins to be able to lift this right off the tire carrier. It's worked out way better than I imagined, and I believe I've created the same capacity as what the SUT bed holds (ok, that may be exaggerated, but you get the point).

I finished the project just in time for our big move out of Utah, and it's been super convienient; so much so I've left it on the truck even after taking the trailer off.
Some uses I've found are for hauling the lawn mower gas containers to the gas station so I don't have to have a smelly jug in the truck. It's also great for tossing the sand covered lawn chairs to and from the beach, along with the kids toys. I was able to use it for strapping down a big new steam cleaner for the carpet instead of trying to cram in in the back.

Downsides? Not sure how much weight that spare tire mount can hold. The added weight was noticeable right after I mounted the rack and swung it open. I just hit the zirk fitting with some grease and decided to see how it goes. So far, so good. I also figured with the tire mount closed, it has a really solid mount.
Another downside is reduced visibility out the back window, even when empty, it's a little difficult to see thru the rack while looking in the mirror--but once again, this was intended for trailer duty, so there's no visibility back there with the trailer in place.

Let me know what you think, then I might post some pics but I really want to get the gas cans back there to complete the look......

Scarsman

Sponsor
That is on my list of things to build. I got the roof rack done, so that will probably happen this fall/winter. I also want to incorporate a can or two. Can't wait to see pics of yours.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
Like these?
IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg