• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Propane powered H2

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
thats pretty badass! I like how you can switch back and forth. Most that switch to propane are stuck on propane.

mkmcgreg

Wow there was an SUT at my office the other day with signs saying it was propane as well I couldn't find out who's it was before it left but I had never heard of it either and now I see two this week

Hunner

Waay back before I retired from the Hwy Dept doing video production there was a push for that or compressed natural gas. The state was going to convert and I taped some conversions. They modded some Ford Crown Victoria's and could switch between fuels. They did some dump trucks also.
Had some cool testing of the tanks in a bunker shooting at them and the ones I saw shot at did not explode, darn it! lol
That does not look like the DOT approved cylinders I saw that were wrapped in Kevlar.
They invested in this huge plant to compress the gas but never implemented the program.
Tests showed engines with high mileage run on either have very little carbon build up. Maybe some day, ole Boone Pickens is for this for 18 wheelers.
Propane weighs about 4.2 pounds per US gallon, at 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Propane expands 1.5% per 10 degrees F.
Gasoline weighs 6.073 pounds per US Gallon

Last edited:

atvspeed4

I know when we were looking at a standby generator the cost to run on propane was more than the cost to run on gasoline that was about a year ago, not sure how things stand now.

Steve #1

I had a friend whose dad owned a propane company. He started converting his fleet to propane and after doing one truck nobody would drive it because it was a dog. This was probably 15 years ago and between the cost of the conversion, cost of fuel, and the performance hit he didn't do any more conversions on his road vehicles. He did have a number of tractors that did fine on propane.

HUMMERDAD

There is a new trend now and fleets are fast too respond UPS and others are converting to natural gas in their heavy haulers ( big rigs) as natural is less expesive now and is expanding it's distubution. Thoutht the the Nation big and small comanys are takeing notice of this and belive you and me if I could jump on the banwagon I would.

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Ok, so he's using an air compressor air tank for the propane? I'd say this has not been DOT approved and I would be skeered sheetless to put my family in the thing. The shelf for the air compressor gear is still on the side of the tank, maybe he likes using it for the far back seat kiddo to set their clutter on?
Also, the fill for the propane is under the rail, I could remove that in the first ten minutes of any off roading I would do.
So I have to balance this with positives cause I don't just want to shoot it down---I could adapt a connector to run the heater in our travel trailer, plus I'd be set up to bar-b-que any place I took it!

Hank Hill---"Those are propane accessories and you will treat them with respect!"

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
I have been using a compressed natural gas Honda Civic GX as my daily driver since 2007. I get to use the HOV (car pool) lane (which saves me time), I get 34 miles to the equivalent gallon and CNG is cheaper (yesterday I filled up for $1.919/gallon). The downside is the 3600 psi tank takes up most of the trunk, there are few CNG stations to fill up at and I only have a 200 mile range. I commute 34 miles each way so I have to fill up twice a week. Also, if you run out of CNG it requires a tow truck. Most people worry about crash safety but that isn't an issue as long as it is a composite tank and the tank is outside the passenger space. That H2 conversion looks scary!