• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Lessons learned from installing an HF radio in an H1

LagunaH1

I thought I'd share the couple of things I learned from installing an HF radio (A Yaesu FT100) in my H1.

RF Grounding:
The radio *needs* a proper RF ground in addition to the regular electric, DC, ground. Absence of this can lead to problems tuning your antenna as to RF
energy getting into your radio while you transmit making your transmission sound bad

DC Grounding:
I didn't know this, but found out the "hard way": The H1 does not use the body or the chassis as ground for its electrical system. It relies on a separate
ground system with a few ground connectors in the vehicle.

Counterpoise:

My H1 has a nice big roof rack. The HF antenna is mounted on the rack, which makes for a very nice counterpoise to the HI-Q HF antenna. I had to use a
ground braid to the things properly connected but once that was done, the antenna works great on 40 - 10 meters.

Power:
Many mobile HF radios expect 13.8 volts to operate properly. As a result, 12 volts is an absolute minimum and anything lower than that is likely going to
cause problems (very poor audio quality on your transmissions). After a few less-than-ideal attempts, I ended up running 12 gauge wire to the radio as the
voltage drop otherwise was too great. Keep in mind that in order for a radio to transmit with 100 watts, it consumes typically twice that. 200 watts over 12
volts is around 17 amps, enough to cause a voltage drop over 6 feet of wire if the wire isn't heavy enough.

kd7irm

Regular Guy
Very good info, Did an install of a radio, siren/pa, and lights on a h1, boy was that fun.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

kd7irm

Regular Guy
Just installed an 8800 in my h3 a few months ago, :) remote mount is your friend.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

LagunaH1

The FT8800 is a great radio. I added an external speaker to mine so I can better hear what people are saying when I drive around in the H1.

Dave, I'd be happy to help!