• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

TCase Rebuild TONIGHT

reaper

If anyone is local to South Denver, I'm rebuilding the transfer case TONIGHT and putting it back on.

BAckcountryislife is coming down-- we should be getting started about 5 or 6. Should take about 30 minutes to put the case back together (it's pretty simple) and an hour to bolt it back on. Open invite if you're into this type of thing.

Hunner

I can't make it tonight.
Would like to see some internal pictures while you are performing surgery. lol

backcountryislife

I wish I could say it was a success... we got it all together, we thought we had it right, but just got word that after trying another encoder motor, the T-case is not shifting.

We put it in to the T, manual in hand going page by page... not sure what's up.

Looks like there will unfortunately be a rebuild night #2... sucks to see him down for so long, and with me just behind him in the down 1/2 the summer category. The front range representation is lacking guys, sorry.

reaper

Yeah... I was waiting to post the "Victory" post... still working on it. Should be easy to drop the second time though.

I also have my junior mechanic who's helping me out:
DSC02250.jpg

reaper

:horns:Third time is a charm!!!! Backcountryislife came down tonight... we swapped out his 4:1 for his old 2:1 before trading it in-- and I ended up just dropping in his 4:1 myself after he left... after doing 2 of them, the third one isn't too tough. But in the end I punted on the rebuild... decided I had one that was good without taking it apart, no need to screw it up by opening the thing up.

It's 2:30am... just finished... time for sleep!
Now what am I going to do with all those transfer case parts????? :shame:

Medic_Morgan

How hard is it to swap to a 4:1 TC from a Base TC? Also what are the advantages? Cost? Congrats on finally getting it done!!

Sent from my secret lair bwaaahhahahahah

backcountryislife

How hard is it to swap to a 4:1 TC from a Base TC? Also what are the advantages? Cost? Congrats on finally getting it done!!

A 4:1 will run you around 1250 or so, and the work to swap it is easy.

At this point I could swap T-cases in a 3 by myself in about 2-2.5 hours. nothing at all technical about it, just pull the 2.xx turd & put in the 4:1. I'm thinking to do the swap, you're only pulling 20 or so bolts, very easy.

As to the benefits, slower crawl ratio, more power in 4L, smoother power delivery, less likely to damage your truck, as you're going slower & hopefully bouncing/ shocking the machine less.

All in all, having just done a couple runs with the 4:1, I was blown away at how well it worked, and how it made tough features easy. Huge difference.

reaper

Here's the work involved:

1. Drain tcase.
2. Remove UCP/skid plates.
3. Disconnect (and remove) front and rear drive shafts. When you remove the rear one it'll leak more tcase fluid.
4. Support transmission with a jack.
5. Remove crossmember (the one beneath the tcase)
6. Unbolt tcase (5 bolts).
7. Bolt on new tcase.
8. Put it all back together and add fluid.

I've got one for sale for $600 bucks or so BTW. :)

Should take a few hours, it's easier with 2 people but you can do it alone.

Then add lockers so you're not this guy:
[video=youtube;aWyGiYdqoTk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWyGiYdqoTk[/video]

Last edited:

Medic_Morgan

Hmmm I think being a Base I'd have to shoot for a rear licker first before thinking about the front. The install doesn't seem that difficult by the way you're listing it. I'm due for my 50k service in 6,500mi so would that be a good time to "swap"?

reaper

I'd say as soon as you can afford it is a good time to swap the tcase!!! The install is really easy. Rebuilding them is tricky, but just swapping them is pretty easy. And yeah, add a rear licker. :) A front locker kind of needs a cast iron differential for the added stress it takes, but a rear licker is a no-brainer.

Medic_Morgan

Haha rear "licker"!! I didn't even catch that. Darn iPhone. Well then I guess the search will begin for a 4:1 ;)

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Haha rear "licker"!! I didn't even catch that. Darn iPhone. Well then I guess the search will begin for a 4:1 ;)

I thought you might be getting into something that I didn't want to know about.:D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2