• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Gold Mountain Big Bear, Ca Sept 15,2012

Zach

Mall Crawler
We had a pretty good turnout for this run for a total of 8 trucks. We had 3 H3's, 1 H3T, 1 H2, 2 H1's and a JK. It was a fun but eventful and long day. We were suppose to run Gold Mountain and finish off with Heart Break Ridge. We ended up just running Gold Mountain. Four of us ran down Jacoby Canyon and met back up with the rest of the group waiting for a tow truck. We all managed to get through the ledge with no problems. The H1's managed to get past the boulder that was blocking the right side last time. Everyone else took the left side which is a little easier. It was a nice drive up to trail till we got to the Talus Rock garden. It was a little more difficult navigating through it this time. Everyone pretty much seemed to sink into the rocks at the beginning of it. Sierra H3 got hung up in it pretty good. We managed to back him out and tried a different route through it. Turns out his front wheels had no power to them. Possibly a front diff, but it never made any noise like a diff does when it lets go. After some tugging and time we managed to get him back out and sent him through the bypass. Just a we decided to take a lunch break, Sircode13 cut the sidewall on his tire. After replacing the tire, we were back rolling on the trail again. We had to pull Sierra H3 through the last major obstacle and from there it was all down hill. Right as we got off of the trail back to the fire road, Sircode13 cut a sidewall and the other rear tire. It took quite awhile to get a tow truck lined up to come get him through AAA. After an hour and a half they were still trying to find a tow company. Luckily I had the card from the tow company that towed me from Cleghorn. Gave them a call and it was handled. Waited roughly for an hour for them to show up. Then we were finally headed to dinner at The Cowboy Express.

DSC01308.jpg

DSC01312.jpg

DSC01316.jpg

DSC01319.jpg

DSC01322.jpg

DSC01324.jpg

DSC01327.jpg

DSC01329.jpg

DSC01332.jpg

DSC01340.jpg

DSC01342.jpg

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Thanks for the pics and recap. It is interesting how the trail conditions and reports vary so much

Zach

Mall Crawler
Last time we were up there a few weeks ago. The boulder at The Ledge was sitting directly in front on the right side. Looks like someone had pulled it back so you could squeeze by it.

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Greg, your wife took some great pictures!

Glad you made it home OK and you're getting a new front differential.

Here is the first of the video's from my GoPro.

[video=youtube;nJGCOyWL2ro]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJGCOyWL2ro[/video]

Sierra H3

Greg your wife did take some great shots, hopefully you have more to post.

She took a lot more. I just picked out a few. The only credit that I can take is that I bought the camera for her. It is an Olympus 620 SLR. It seems to be able to capture more detail through the vehicle's glass. I am on a road trip, but will post a few more when I get back.

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Here is my second GoPro video. SierraH3 at the ledge.

[video=youtube;QrBtCAXTB3M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrBtCAXTB3M[/video]

Ron46

Capt.
Great pics! :cheers: looks like a good time! I wish we had group runs up in the northeast like this lol

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Sorry for dribbling the videos out, but I've been extremely busy at work and home and ...

Here is Zach making the ledge look entirely too easy. I almost hate to post the video of me next, because I do a good job of making it look hard. Unfortunately, I'm not ready to post that one because I have to delete some frames at the end of people looking at the front of the camera trying to see if it is still recording or not.

[video=youtube;fLAzxFYDvSM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLAzxFYDvSM[/video]

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Here is the video of me making the ledge look tougher than it should be.

[video=youtube;B2Bnn3S0usw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=B2Bnn3S0usw[/video]

Sierra H3

Damage Report

Gary of Tustin Hummer indicated that the failure of my front differential was at the right front axle. The best theory is the high centering of the rear differential put extra weight on the front axle and most of the torque went to the front right which must have been wedged into a crevice or something like that. It looks like ground clearance really was my issue. Rolling friction is better than sliding friction any day of the week. A few last of my wife's photos follow :post::

P9159791.jpg

P9159812.jpg

P9159826.jpg

P9159831.jpg

P9159841.jpg

P9159849.jpg

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Gary of Tustin Hummer indicated that the failure of my front differential was at the right front axle. The best theory is the high centering of the rear differential put extra weight on the front axle and most of the torque went to the front right which must have been wedged into a crevice or something like that. It looks like ground clearance really was my issue. Rolling friction is better than sliding friction any day of the week.

Nice pics and I am glad to see it all worked out. Once that warranty is toast you gotta pull the trigger on the rancho kit/SOA rear! I know you have said thats a possible plan in the future. Once I test mine and all goes well I will gladly help you when the time comes. Just wanna make sure that its a badass setup before you set it up that way.